PDA

View Full Version : Got a UPS notification that my Shilen custom 8x57 barrel shipped !

Westcliffe01
09-11-2013, 07:51 PM
It seems I have been waiting on barrels since last November. After an unsatisfactory dealing with Mc Gowan, I first had to recover my gumption again. Then I ordered a 6.5x284 barrel from Shilen through Jim at NSS and due to multiple issues at Shilen still have no idea when that will come in. Jim almost exclusively orders "select match" barrels, and Shilen have not been meeting their own standard for "select match" so yield has been close to zero for months.

Then ordered a custom 8x57 (Savage prefit) barrel through Jim in spring and he explained that a custom barrel would drop ship directly from Shilen, since it would not be included in his regular bulk deliveries.

Finally got the UPS ship notification today from Shilen, so I gave Jim a call to let him know that I was going to need a nut and recoil lug and he said Shilen had got the issues worked out on the 6.5mm barrels and that they were currently building a large batch of blanks. So perhaps, before the snow flies, I might get the 6.5x284 together...

These issues must be having a significant financial impact on people like Jim, since he can't sell what the barrel makers don't or can't make and many customers must have cancelled.

Jim, we appreciate you, despite this year being such a cluster...

DanSavage
09-12-2013, 05:28 PM
I've been waiting for a .308 select match S8 small shank since May 8th,, hopefully it'll be here soon. I went with the Barrel Man this time. Shilen tells me that current lead time is 4-5 months.

Glad to hear that your barrel is arriving soon.

Almost forgot to add that Shillen did say "However it may me longer for a select match". I'm thinking oh great, that gives them an excuse to drag it out 7-8 months or more.

Westcliffe01
09-12-2013, 06:56 PM
Got the package this evening and it is another beautifully turned out piece of work. Tomorrow I should have the nut and recoil lug so I can put it together finally. This is going into a Hogue stock with an action which used to be a 270 with a sporter barrel.. I am a little worried how the hogue stock will balance since it is lighter than any of my laminates, but if needed I can always add epoxy and lead shot to the rear end. Pictures once I have it assembled.

din
09-17-2013, 03:05 AM
If you have time please do a few in-progress build pics, those are always edutaining.

Beekeeper
09-18-2013, 03:23 AM
I got my UPS ship notification on a S8 contour .308 Stainless Match barrel on the 17th. I ordered the barrel at the end of May. I can't wait to get it on Friday.