PDA

View Full Version : Savage 10 predator update, opinions wanted

mnhntr
09-11-2013, 04:25 PM
I posted a while back on this rifle I bought. It is a 10 predator in .260 rem and I could not get this thing to shoot. I tried 5 different bullets, seating depths, brass, and ran half a dozen ladders trying to find a solution. It was sent back to Savage after I scoped the barrel and found horrible tool chatter marks throughout the rifling and some small pitting marks at the muzzle end. It was sent back to me with the same barrel which ticked me off, a form showing they had headspace checked it and test fired it at 100yds. The target they sent me was shot with Federal 120gr Nosler BT ammo and the 3rd group was .8 in. I took the rifle out a few more times and it would not shoot anything better than 1.5in groups. I checked and rechecked the scope the mount and rings and everything else it could be. I then started thinking I would try to duplicate the ammo they used because I am not spending $40 a box of 20 rounds when I can reload for way less. I loaded some 123gr AMAX at the min oal which is .080 off the lands and it worked. I got a 5rd group at 100yds that looked like a clover leaf, all touching. I also loaded some 140gr AMAX the same way and they did not group well.
So I guess I am at a loss of ideas to try to get the heavy bullets to shoot. Its a 1-8 twist which should work with bullets up to 160gr. I thought about putting a new barrel on it. I thought about running some Tubb's bullets through it. I am happy it shoots the 123gr bullets but I really want to be able to run the 140 or 142s at 1000yds as they have a much better BC.

davemuzz
09-11-2013, 06:57 PM
Well, you have found the bullet. I'd sell it knowing it shoots well and take the $$$$ a go for another. Perhaps a 6.5 Creedmore or even a .223 with a 1-7 barrel twist.

Dave

teebirdhyzer
09-11-2013, 07:07 PM
If you just have to have it shoot the 140's I would probably pull the barrel and sell it then get another barrel. I shoot the 123's in my 6.5 creedmoor, but never have gotten a chance to shoot to 1000yds. Just how much better are the 140's out there?

mnhntr
09-13-2013, 03:32 PM
If you just have to have it shoot the 140's I would probably pull the barrel and sell it then get another barrel. I shoot the 123's in my 6.5 creedmoor, but never have gotten a chance to shoot to 1000yds. Just how much better are the 140's out there?

They are both good out to a 1k but the 142 and 140 hold a lot more energy out that far.