PDA

View Full Version : How to camo a stainless barrel...

Pages : 1 [2]

243LPR
09-12-2013, 10:49 AM
What's wrong with camo tape? I have a shotgun that it's been on over 20 years. Easy to remove too.

fgw_in_fla
09-12-2013, 12:17 PM
What's wrong with camo tape? I have a shotgun that it's been on over 20 years. Easy to remove too.

Will that stuff hang in there that well? I was reluctant to use it until I got out in the bush. I didn't want to waste it. What about heat from the barrel? How does it fare?
The camo pattern I got is a little "off" compared to the Woodland Camo on the stock but guess hogs don't care what color the rifle is.

fgw_in_fla
09-12-2013, 12:20 PM
This is what I made ugh it took forever!! I had to tie each piece of yarn onto the mesh sleeve thing I used

http://i1331.photobucket.com/albums/w586/provost_andrew/001_zpsb70039dd.jpg (http://s1331.photobucket.com/user/provost_andrew/media/001_zpsb70039dd.jpg.html)

Ya know, I really like that. It should provide excellent hiding ability if you ever shoot fish in seaweed laden lake or ocean.
How's about PM me with the procedure on that. List of materials, etc...
I like that look & here in the swamps of Florida, I'd be able to sneak up on a gator with that.

Or, should I just rip a sleeve off of my ghillie suit & wrap the barrel?

3093Andrew
09-12-2013, 12:55 PM
Ya know, I really like that. It should provide excellent hiding ability if you ever shoot fish in seaweed laden lake or ocean.
How's about PM me with the procedure on that. List of materials, etc...
I like that look & here in the swamps of Florida, I'd be able to sneak up on a gator with that.

Or, should I just rip a sleeve off of my ghillie suit & wrap the barrel?

I'll pm you everything thing I used and I'll try and send you some pics too

big honkin jeep
09-13-2013, 11:09 PM
I'm not a big fan of the Adhesive style tape because it can hold condensation and moisture against the metal and do ugly things over time.The stretchy stuff is OK but a pain to remove and re use. The socks are just easier to use, remove and reuse between trips afield.

fgw_in_fla
09-14-2013, 04:42 AM
I'm not a big fan of the Adhesive style tape because it can hold condensation and moisture against the metal and do ugly things over time.The stretchy stuff is OK but a pain to remove and re use. The socks are just easier to use, remove and reuse between trips afield.

Jeep - Where'd you get the sock?
One of the RSO's was telling me about them last week. Again, the only problem I can see if the muzzle break.
I guess I'm going to have to try my hand at paint....

davemuzz
09-14-2013, 08:00 AM
Muzzle brake + hacksaw = no muzzle brake.

fgw_in_fla
09-14-2013, 08:34 AM
Muzzle brake + hacksaw = no muzzle brake.

Don't think I haven't considered it.
But it's so much fun sending that first shot & everyone around me hits the dirt....

pisgah
09-14-2013, 06:21 PM
Tried it already.

Hoppes takes it back off.

So? Heck, only takes 15 seconds to put it back on and, like the burlap, comes right off when you want it to. Perfect! :thumb:

fgw_in_fla
09-14-2013, 07:41 PM
So? Heck, only takes 15 seconds to put it back on and, like the burlap, comes right off when you want it to. Perfect! :thumb:

Ya know, you make a valid point.
I guess my phobia toward paint is showing....

big honkin jeep
09-14-2013, 10:52 PM
Bass pro has the sock for under $10. It's easy enough to pull it back off of a brake but the end will be frayed if you forget.
I have gotten over having to camo my stainless and just hunt with my stainless showing now days. My real $.02 I don't think it makes that much difference as long as you stay still when hunting.