PDA

View Full Version : AR 15 Mag in Model 10

Flat Tire
09-09-2013, 10:19 PM
I want an AR15 mag to fit my bolt action Model 10. It should just bolt to the bottom of the receiver. Were can I buy the mag holder ??

emtrescue6
09-10-2013, 08:31 PM
I think he's asking about wanting to use AR15 mags on his Savage Model 10...I don't know of anyone making bottom metal for such a conversion....anyone???

thomae
09-10-2013, 08:36 PM
They don't exist.
Because of the way the rifle is designed, there is no way to use AR magazines in a savage 10/110 type rifle.

Flat Tire
09-11-2013, 09:47 AM
I think he's asking about wanting to use AR15 mags on his Savage Model 10...I don't know of anyone making bottom metal for such a conversion....anyone???
If you put bullets in the savage magazine and watch the bolt push the bullet forward it is not real complicated. When this bolt action is removed from the stock and all you have is receiver and trigger it would seem if the AR15 magazine was held at the right height the bolt would push the bullets forward. It would just need a mag holder to mount on the bottom of the receiver.

Onewolf
09-11-2013, 10:07 AM
If you put bullets in the savage magazine and watch the bolt push the bullet forward it is not real complicated. When this bolt action is removed from the stock and all you have is receiver and trigger it would seem if the AR15 magazine was held at the right height the bolt would push the bullets forward. It would just need a mag holder to mount on the bottom of the receiver.

I agree with emtrescue6. It seems like you would need new bottom metal that supports the standard AR mag. I have never heard of such a thing for Savage actions.

stomp442
09-11-2013, 10:43 AM
Just a thought but what about getting the bottom metal for one of the new Mossberg MVP rifles and inletting that into a savage stock. I haven't fondled an MVP yet so i haven't looked at how they work but I read that they do use the AR magazines and given the similar action design maybe something could be made to work. Just an idea.

JW
09-11-2013, 11:28 AM
The mossberg bolt is designed completely different than the savage
There is a spring loaded "stripper" on the bottom of the bolthead to engage the shell to remove from the clip
This piece is pushed up flush with the bolt head when bolt is pulled back so it will
Clear the shells in mag
It then drops down by spring tension to enable catching the round in the clip
Not saying it can't be done but it would require a lot of work

jbjh
09-11-2013, 12:39 PM
There is one guy that makes such a DBM for Remingtons, but I have not seen it done for Savage.

It's a good idea but there is a lot of engineering and design Involved. The issue is going to be getting the magazine to the right height and designing a well that is the right size, as well as where the magazine catch will live. The fact that the bold actions bolt face rotates for lockup, and the AR bolt does not, doesn't help anything

J.Baker
09-11-2013, 12:46 PM
There, now that's I've cleaned the nonsense out of this thread....

AR magazines and the the Savage bolt head are not compatible. This is why Mossberg (who pretty much carbon-copied the Savage design for their bolt guns) had to come up with the spring-loaded stripper mentioned above by JW.

Flat Tire
09-11-2013, 02:25 PM
It would seem the bolt faces being interchangeable that it would just be a couple of parts. Even a ten round mag would be awesome in a bolt gun, the ease of it would be worth the effort.

Onewolf
09-11-2013, 02:40 PM
How about a 9 round DBM like from SSS? I bought two and they work great.

Flat Tire
09-11-2013, 07:10 PM
How about a 9 round DBM like from SSS? I bought two and they work great.

I think that will be the answer.

sinman
09-11-2013, 07:52 PM
Why not use a CDI bottom metal and AI mags? they work great.

emtrescue6
09-11-2013, 08:18 PM
It is that complicated and several people have tried to point that out. Bottom line...I've never seen nor heard of any such conversion kit/bottom metal that will allow the use of an AR magazine on a Savage action. A simple bolt head swap and some bailing wire and duct tape isn't going to cut it....but then again, I only have a dozen Savage rifles in my safe, so I probably don't know what I am talking about. So yes...it would seem it's not as simple as one would think.

There are several options for new bottom metal for Savages that will support higher capacity magazines...ask around and talk to people though before you make the investment simply for 4 or 5 more rounds as there are many good and bad reviews out there. SSS I believe has an option as do a few others that make AICS compliant bottom metal. I invested in a CDI Precision system for my Model 10 FLCP-K in 308...the metal alone was about $225 and mag's run between $75 and $125 for a 10 round mag...if you can find them. It took awhile but I eventually got mine to work flawlessly...was it worth it? Maybe, but I have found the 10 round mags are too long for my shooting position and get in the way, so I have purchased a few 5 rounders and am back where I started basically...$500 later. So now the 10 rounders sit in the cabinet and the 5's get to ride to the range...it certainly looks cool, but if I had it to do over I woulda spent that $500 to start another project.

jbjh
09-11-2013, 09:03 PM
https://dbmg-llc.3dcartstores.com/Detachable-AR-mag-bottom-metal_p_26.html

Unless the bolt heads of the Remington and Savage are that different, one of you brave souls can try grafting this guys bottom metal onto your Savage.

I have never seen one of these out in the wild, nor read of anybody actually using it. Good luck space monkeys!

big honkin jeep
09-11-2013, 11:15 PM
You guys of all people know where there is a will there is a way. A tinker with a little imagination can accomplish darn near anything,
I have indeed seen a model 10 that feeds from an AR mag. The mag well is from an AR epoxied in place,.not exactly a kit but it can be done. The model 10 I'm referring to also has a factory synthetic stock with a folding mechanism.
Oh ye of little faith.

I sent the guy a PM on another forum and this is what he replied

Re: Savage with ar mag

I'm not sure where it is, and I'm pretty sure I don't have any pics of the process. But this is what I can tell you from memory.

I used a long action, might could use a short action but I had a long action available to me. I used a 30% lower but looking back I think I would either do it with an 80% only because doing the hole for the mag catch was a pain in the ass, or a cheap polymer lower. You will need to open the sides of the action up, don't cut too far up into the rails that the bolt rides on or the bolt can over rotate and make the action rough. Pmags need opened up slightly to get the bolt to pass between the feed lips. What I did was take a piece of sandpaper and wrap the bolt and ran the mag body over it to open it up. What I've found new is that the lancer metal lipped polymer mags don't need to be opened up any. They seem to work straight out of the package. My magwell is permanently epoxied into the stock which I used screws thru the stock to hold it in place then put the epoxy to it. Two things were my friend in this.....trial and error, and steel stick. Steel Stick is like JB weld but it doesn't run like JB and it hardens in 30 mins to where you can work it. Just remember that clear packing tape is your friend as well. Jb and steel stick don't stock to it, is thin and doesn't give you a big gap when you peel it off what you didn't want held in place.

stangfish
09-12-2013, 12:12 AM
I like the old Wyatt set up for looks. Pricey though. Looks AR to me. Fortunately I have one with 2 5 and one 10 rd mag. It is purdy. did I mention pricey.

snowgetter1
09-12-2013, 12:40 AM
I have a MVP and really like it. It was quite stiff at first, but after one p-dog trip it has loosened up. The "accu-trigger" is not near as nice as a Savage though. I like bolt guns and being able to load up as many AR mags as I want and walk around shooting dogs was great.

I think after reading this thread I would either buy and MVP or use the SSS mags.

EAW
09-18-2013, 12:45 PM
Why not use a CDI bottom metal and AI mags? they work great.

I personally recommend this solution, it works great! The folks at CDI Precision do excellent work.

Scott Evans
04-13-2016, 10:49 PM
I did this many moons ago. It works if you let it. My option for the bolt head/mag interface was to cut a couple radius relief slots in the bottom of the bolt head and baffle, very small, so the bolt head would get close enough to the feed lips.

If I were to do it again I'd probably use a modified Tromix mag well and do a bolt head flap ala MVP.

This setup has killed thousands of prairie dogs and now on the third 20 Prac barrel ;)

The LARPV-

http://s163.photobucket.com/user/GrocMax/library/LARPV?sort=3&page=1