PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Managed Recoil Ammo

jbo_c
09-09-2013, 08:53 PM
My son, who's twelve, insists on getting a rifle "just like Dad's". He's new to high power, so he doesn't know what he's asking for. I shoot a .270.

My question is, do the managed recoil rounds for .270 Win really have about the kick of a .243(which would be the most logical first choice). That's what the reviews I've read say.

I've found a 110 to match mine in .270 for a good price. I'm thinking if what I've read is accurate, I get it and have him shoot the managed recoil rounds until he's ready to 'upgrade'. We don't have shots beyond about 170 yards on our hunting land(mostly 100). So kill power at our distances should be OK.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Jbo

big honkin jeep
09-09-2013, 09:07 PM
Good luck finding any, it was pretty tough to find even before the recent panic. Reduced recoil ammo sounds like the best way to go to me. Tailor the load to the shooter instead of trying to pick a caliber that they will out grow.
I do know Hodgdon has some load data available if you are a hand loader that should work well inside 100 yards.
Of course another advantage of a 110 would be a barrel swap to most any caliber.
Started my youngest son around age 10 or 11 with a 25-06 that he still shoots as a grown man. not a whole lot of recoil and a very effective cartridge.
They do grow up very fast.

jbo_c
09-09-2013, 09:13 PM
No reloading for me. I've got enough hobbies and I don't have the focus and attention to detail to trust myself to reload yet. Maybe one day.

No trouble finding standard .270 here. I haven't looked specifically for managed recoil, though. Even was in Wally World the other day and they had "everything" but .22.

Thanks for the quick feedback. Others?

Jbo

thermaler
09-10-2013, 01:15 AM
Might want to consider a muzzle break/compensator? I'm going to try a couple clamp-ons on a couple of my rifles--not so much to reduce recoil (though they are supposed to do that very well) as to keep the target in sight after the shot to see fall of shot.

FW Conch
09-10-2013, 09:47 AM
When I was 12 yrs old, I was a late bloomer, and was very small for my age, so I was often underestimated. But I "could" handle" a 270, with adult supervision. I suggest that while your son has that interest, get some Managed Recoil or "lite" bullet 270's, and after some good instruction and preparation, let him shoot it from a standing position with a rest. He will let you know if it beats him up to bad. Your doing a great thing here! Good Luck-Good Shooting.......Jim

big honkin jeep
09-10-2013, 02:56 PM
Yes I have seen more and more ammo on the shelf and .270 seems to be everywhere in preparation for hunting season.
I was referring to finding managed recoil ammo. It was hard enough to find without all the foolishness.
I hope you find some as I think it would fulfill your needs exactly.
Oh and handloading is as easy as falling off a log if you can read and follow instructions. a very simple and safe process if you follow a couple of rules. :)

JASmith
09-10-2013, 06:37 PM
Try this calculator for comparing the recoil: http://shootersnotes.com/calculator/velocity-estimator/ -- it will work for commercial ammo if you assume about 60 gr of powder and 3100 ft/sec for the 130 gr "Full-House" load and about 50 gr of powder and 2700 ft/sec for the 115 gr managed recoil load.

Use 45 gr powder and about 3000 ft/sec for the .243 100 gr load.

WuzYoungOnceToo
09-10-2013, 06:54 PM
When I got my 111 in .30-06 it was not only the largest caliber I'd ever owned it had the plastic stock and was very light, so I was concerned about picking up a bad recoil flinch habit when I first started shooting it. So I picked up a couple boxes of Remington's Managed Recoil loads to practice with before easing myself into something stouter. Between the reduced charging and the lighter bullet (only 125 gr) the thump was reduced to less than half of even the typical standard 150 gr. load. Quite comparable to a heavy .243, in my estimation. After I got comfortable with that I was able to move up to regular hunting loads without having developed the instinct to flinch when pulling the trigger.

Chuck Hawks did a good review of them several years ago when they first hit the market:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/rem_managed_recoil.htm

Even the 115 gr. .270 loads should be more than adequate on deer-sized game at the ranges you're talking about.

jbo_c
09-10-2013, 09:03 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. I appreciate the help. I'll get him the .270 and scrounge until I find managed recoil ammo.

Jbo

bootsmcguire
09-10-2013, 09:58 PM
And remember, worst case scenario if you can't find any, and full power loads are too much, you can just simply switch the barrel to a 243 or 260 or whatever until he's ready for the 270. A used sporter contour barrel in 243 is easy to find. That's the beauty of the Savage Barrel Nut.

GunDog72
09-15-2013, 09:15 PM
I know that I'm going to sound like the oddball here, but I would recommend just starting him out with a .243. This is what I started on a little Rosi when I was 9 and a few years later I bought a Savage Model 11 .243 that I still own today and love it to death. If you get him a .243 it will have more then enough knock down power to deer hunt, I've dropped deer with it at over 120yrds, plus it makes a really badass varmint gun. In fact as soon as deer season is over here in KY I convert it to a varminter and back to deer rifle again in November. But the best thing is, that if you get a gun that fits him good I guarantee that he will not develop trigger jerk from it, and it will help to train him from developing one latter on. Once I got started on my little .243 I was able to shoot my dads old R700 .30-06 (that kicked like a mule) when I was 11 without so much as a twitch when shooting 5 round groups. Hope this helps, Cole

GunDog72
09-15-2013, 09:17 PM

GunDog72
09-15-2013, 09:21 PM
Might want to consider a muzzle break/compensator? I'm going to try a couple clamp-ons on a couple of my rifles--not so much to reduce recoil (though they are supposed to do that very well) as to keep the target in sight after the shot to see fall of shot. The only thing that I would warn you about is that sometimes when you put a muzzle break on a gun as big as a 270 it can turn that gun from an ear deafening rifle into an ear DESTROYING noise machine.

JASmith
09-15-2013, 11:32 PM
The managed recoil in 270 should indeed kick about like the .270.

Go for it!

He'll have rifle he can use for just about all North American game. Further that managed recoil round works for varmint eradication too. The extra shooting will make him a comfortable shooter!

thermaler
09-16-2013, 01:19 AM
The only thing that I would warn you about is that sometimes when you put a muzzle break on a gun as big as a 270 it can turn that gun from an ear deafening rifle into an ear DESTROYING noise machine.I'll find out soon enough. : ) Huge bang vs big bang--I guess it only matters to the guy shooting right next to you--I try to shoot when the crowds aren't around.

GunDog72
09-16-2013, 07:22 AM
I'll find out soon enough. : ) Huge bang vs big bang--I guess it only matters to the guy shooting right next to you--I try to shoot when the crowds aren't around.
One thing I forgot to mention is that it does depend on what type of muzzle brake your using. I you have one that diverts the gasses up, or straight out you should be fine, but if its one that angles the gasses back to reduce recoil then I would make sure you use plenty of hearing protection until you know what its going to sound like.

thermaler
09-16-2013, 09:04 AM
The whole brake/comp thing is another world--I've heard so many different things about them from they're great to they will totally mess up your velocity and accuracy. Like most things in the gun business, there is a huge variety of varying quality. My understanding is that the angle-back ports are "old-school" and not very common these days. My requirement of brakes is very simple: I want the scope picture to stay put through the shot so I can see fall of shot and quickly follow-up. I'm going to try these and I'll let you know how it works out: http://wittmachine.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=180&zenid=k9f8m17obmaggqla4inm8991f0

GunDog72
09-16-2013, 04:52 PM
The whole brake/comp thing is another world--I've heard so many different things about them from they're great to they will totally mess up your velocity and accuracy. Like most things in the gun business, there is a huge variety of varying quality. My understanding is that the angle-back ports are "old-school" and not very common these days. My requirement of brakes is very simple: I want the scope picture to stay put through the shot so I can see fall of shot and quickly follow-up. I'm going to try these and I'll let you know how it works out: http://wittmachine.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=180&zenid=k9f8m17obmaggqla4inm8991f0
I would be very interested to see how well they work for you, I don't personally own a brake but I have shot several friends guns that do have them and they told me that as far as accuracy and velocity goes it's really just a total crapshoot. They told me that it will do one of three things: 1. highly improve your accuracy, 2. completely ruin your accuracy/velocity, or 3. it will do absolutely nothing to either of those things. They also said that it will vary from gun to gun even if they are the exact same guns from the factory it could effect them differently. Please let us know as I have also been curious about just how well these clamp on's work.

thermaler
09-16-2013, 06:53 PM
I would be very interested to see how well they work for you, I don't personally own a brake but I have shot several friends guns that do have them and they told me that as far as accuracy and velocity goes it's really just a total crapshoot. They told me that it will do one of three things: 1. highly improve your accuracy, 2. completely ruin your accuracy/velocity, or 3. it will do absolutely nothing to either of those things. They also said that it will vary from gun to gun even if they are the exact same guns from the factory it could effect them differently. Please let us know as I have also been curious about just how well these clamp on's work.Will do. Unfortunately they weren't finished in time prior to my move back down south--so it's probably going to be a week or two for the package to catch up with me. These are my first brakes and I am very interested to see what difference they make. Mt axis 308 shoots great--but my 111 6.5 284 so far has been a ho-hum 1.5 MOA shooter.