PDA

View Full Version : New Savage owner- having a hard time finding anything about my rifle 10T .308

gun papa
09-08-2013, 10:29 PM
Hello. While not being new to firearms, I am new to owning a centerfire bolt action. I guess I have spent the majority of the last two plus decades buying guns on the prohibited list because they are scary looking.

I have always wanted to buy a .308 bolt gun, and I finally have. I purchased a Savage 10T with accutrigger and accustock from Cabelas. It is a heavy barrel gun with the new bolt release in front of the trigger guard. I had a decent Burris scope with LaRue QD rings laying about that went on the gun quickly. This weekend I found a BDS scope cover new at a yard sale for $5 and scooped it up.

I do not see a lot of info on this rifle and I hope someone here could point me to it. I am looking for a good sling and cheek pad. Any help would be appreciated. GP

J.Baker
09-09-2013, 01:47 PM
Cabela's and other big box stores often order special non-cataloged models just so they will have something no one else does. Nothing really special about them other than they're not a catalog model. All the parts are off the shelf factory components.

Magically transported from my iPhone to the internet via Tapatalk.

big honkin jeep
09-09-2013, 02:38 PM
The cheek pad and sling are going to come down to personal preference.
I have tried a couple of the stock pack type from Voodoo Tactical and from Blackhawk and they just don't do it for me. The ones with the velcro or lace ons just seem so... I don't know I think the word I'm looking for is cheesy with poor universal fit and not real stable. they seem to shift around. I do like the adjustable one I made from kydex which is similar to the ones Karsten makes. I was a little apprehensive about drilling holes in my stock at first but now I'm glad I did. My cheek weld is solid and my eye instantly lines up with the 50mm scope with no black edges etc and my head is in the same position each time. I like the Karsten style cheek rest a lot.
Slings are another kind of trial and error thing. I like a padded cobra style brown leather with brass hardware to go with a nice wood or laminate stock for the look. As long as the leather is soft on the underside they don't slip down your shoulder too bad. Cheap nylon is super strong but man they always seem to be bad about slipping around and trying to slide off of your shoulder. The neoprene and nylon are what I prefer on a hard use hunting rig because they seem to stay put on your shoulder and are relatively sturdy. I've heard good things about the claw slings but haven't owned one.
These are my experiences and opinions but you need to check em out and see what's right for you.
Good luck

Starosta
09-10-2013, 06:33 AM
If it is threaded and have BDM, it could be possibly 10TR?
http://savageshooters.com/showthread.php?t=25377