PDA

View Full Version : Sightron 10-50 in low light?

mattri
09-08-2013, 10:36 AM
Have read a lot about the clarity and tracking of the Sightron 10-50s but not much on how they do in low light situations. Would think that with a 60mm objective they should do ok but have no confirmation of this.

Anyone here shooting one? How does it do?

Thanks, Matt.

scope eye
09-08-2013, 11:12 AM
Going to be watching this one.

Dean

yobuck
09-08-2013, 12:33 PM
in my opinion its simply an attempt by sightron to increase market share numbers.
no doubt the scope will work and no doubt some will buy it and be thrilled with it.
here in the east top end spotting scopes like kowa or swarovski with 80mm objectives
can rarly be used beyond 30x with any degree of clarity. possibly other areas of the country
with different air quality would have different results.
for a typical woods hunter a good low power scope with a 40mm objective will suffice in low light conditions.
for a long range hunter its best not to shoot if you cant get to it before dark. chances are by tomorrow the coyotes
will have gotten to it before you.

mattri
09-08-2013, 06:17 PM
OK?

For those who are actually using this scope- any impressions?

nocturnalnasty
09-18-2013, 06:57 AM
I just bought this scope and have it mounted on a 6BR I just finished putting together. Only had one bench session at 100 yards on a bright sunny day with it. So, take my opinion for what it's worth with my very limited experience.

Tracking is perfect enough said. I wanted maximum come-up so I used a 20 MOA EGW base and 20 MOA rings. This put me about 4 MOA from bottoming the elevation turret out and gives me 46 MOA of the total 50 MOA of elevation the scope has. With my 105 grain VLD 6BR load that gives me enough elevation to well over 1000 yards.

This scope is very clear and bright up to about 30 power. After that it gets darker and resolution is not nearly as sharp. But I would say in late evening or early morning light the scope would do very well if you stay in the 24 or below power range. Above that not sure you would get very good results. I bought this as a bench/prairie dog setup so for my intended use its great. I have several high quality scopes including Nightforce ATACR, Bushnell 4200 Tactical, Nikon Monarchs, Burris etc. and this scope below 30 power compares very favorably with all except maybe the NF ATACR, but it's not fair to compare this scope to a $2,400 scope. But for anything I have looked through, it's in my opinion, the best scope in this power range in this price range ($1,000).

Hope this helps.
John

sparky123321
09-18-2013, 08:39 AM
I own 5 Sightron SIII 10-50x and I've owned almost ever scope out there, except for a March. I have them on everything from my heavy benchrest rifle to my AR's. I guess that says it all.