PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun Vintage Springfield .410 shotgun

lisainak
09-07-2013, 03:55 PM
I have an old springfield arms .410 model 1929,I know it's not a savage but this is the only vintage site that I could find.My question is how old this shotgun is,there isn't even a serial number on it.If you can by any chance can tell me how old it is it would be greatly appreciated.Thank-You.

J.Baker
09-08-2013, 12:15 PM
Springfield Arms was an off-brand name for Stevens Arms and they were sold at many hardware stores and such (similar to Western Auto branded firearms of the same era). Unfortunately with that being the case there's not much documentation or records of the models made under those brands. Does it specifically say "Model 1929" or is the 1929 a patent date? Either way it indicates it was made in or after 1929 but without more information there's no way to pinpoint a more specific date.

If you could list any stampings on the barrel or action it might help us narrow it down a little better for you.
(i.e. a number and letter inside a circle is typically a date stamp; an SP inside a circle is the "Savage Proof" stamp, etc)

lisainak
09-08-2013, 05:12 PM
There is no proof stamp anywhere that I can find,and there is a 21 inside of a circle not on the barrel but under the hammer area.The only other thing is "1929 MODEL" on the barrel.

J.Baker
09-09-2013, 05:56 AM
That being the case then the best ballpark answer I'll be able to offer is that it was made sometime between 1929 and 1968 as any firearm made after 1968 was required by law to be stamped with a serial number.