PDA

View Full Version : Headpace ?

ICUDIEN
02-13-2010, 08:28 PM
Hey guys I am doing my first barrel swap and was wondering if a FL sized case with 2 pieces of scotch tape on the back and the bolt closes half way is this good?

deadeye
02-13-2010, 08:38 PM
Without go and no go gauges;

You can use a sized case as a GO - Bolt should close on it.

ONE piece of scotch tape for a NO-Go and bolt handle should not close with the tape on it.

Just generic rules to follow.

If you are hand loading and always use the same brass in the same barreled action, then it isn't that critical as you will basically be fire-forming the brass to fit.

ICUDIEN
02-13-2010, 09:00 PM
Without go and no go gauges;

You can use a sized case as a GO - Bolt should close on it.

ONE piece of scotch tape for a NO-Go and bolt handle should not close with the tape on it.

Just generic rules to follow.

If you are hand loading and always use the same brass in the same barreled action, then it isn't that critical as you will basically be fire-forming the brass to fit.

Thank you! I just got it put together now I just hope that these Benchmark barrels shoot as good as everyone says!

wilpenny
02-13-2010, 09:35 PM
sounds like ur ready i fitted mine to where it was tight and closed smoothly set it there and shot it into day its the 338-06 AI and its holding 1/4 or less groups on a ER Shaw barrel from midway i could not be more surprised Hope urs does as well