PDA

View Full Version : Sightron SIII 10-50Xby60mm

Pages : [1] 2

Senderofan
02-13-2010, 07:18 PM
Good Evening All:

I just received my Sightron SIII 10-50X by 60mm in the mail this afternoon. All I can say is "Wow!!" This is a substantial scope. It dwarfs my 8-32X Sightron as you can see in the picture. I briefly did a comparison.....neither scope mounted on a rifle....and found the 10-50X to be of the exact same quality of image as compared to the 8-32X. This in a very cloudy, overcast winter day. I did appreciate the added power on the top end when viewing at objects near the 1000 yard range. I would say....Sightron has done an excellent job on this new scope for a market looking for long range shooting.......all in a price under $1,000.

http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp359/Senderofan/Sightron%20SIII%2010-50X60mm/th_DSC00962.jpg (http://s427.photobucket.com/albums/pp359/Senderofan/Sightron%20SIII%2010-50X60mm/?action=view&current=DSC00962.jpg)

Wayne

P.S.

Click on the picture and you'll be able to view pictures of the new scope in a file.

pdog06
02-13-2010, 07:33 PM
I am Jealous!!!!!

The 1/4" clicks is the only complaint I can think up for my 8-32, so I'm glad to see they fixed that with the 10-50.

Let us know how you like it once you use it for a bit.

viper9696
02-13-2010, 07:51 PM
nothing like mounting a spotting scope on a rifle :o

Looks like the ring spacing is about the same too

I'm going to have to start saving my pennies ;D

Senderofan
02-13-2010, 08:07 PM
I just have to figure out what scope ring height I need...perhaps the medium style rings will work. Guys.....I seriously thought my days of higher powered scope purchases were over....but Sightron has really nailed it as far as I'm concerned. This new scope....may not be as crisp or bright as a March.......but I think I can enjoy shooting on the 1K line nearly as much. This scope cost less than my 8-32X BR NightForce that I purchased new 10 years ago.

Just thought I'd share my recent experience....not here to brag...but hopefully open the eyes and aspirations of others in a similar position...looking to purchase a new scope for long range shooting.

Wayne

pa hog
02-13-2010, 08:26 PM
Hey Dan, Kevin has them in stock!! LOL!!!

pdog06
02-13-2010, 10:09 PM
Hey Dan, Kevin has them in stock!! LOL!!!

for how much?

pa hog
02-13-2010, 10:16 PM
$925.00 shipped

Uncle Jack
02-13-2010, 11:06 PM
&%88#*!!......this calls for an agonizing reappraisal of current plans.

uj

possum1
02-13-2010, 11:38 PM
And I'm trying to save up for a model 12 :'(

Senderofan
02-14-2010, 05:29 PM
Since it's sunny out today...I did a quick comparison. I used the front of a neighbors house....an area that included stucco, brick, beveled glass on the outside light and the house numbers. Laser range finder read 95 yards. I was looking for how sharp / clear the edges were on the glass....and see any differences in how the surfaces looked on the stucco and brick ( Raised areas...imperfections and even color differences. ) And to see how sharp the outside edges were on the house numbers. I probably should have printed out an eye chart....but didn't want to freak the neighbor out.

I compared my NightForce BR 8-32x, a Sightron SIII 8-32x and the SIII 10-50X....all set at 20X. All three scopes had great image quality out to the edges. All seemed to be equally as bright...and color did not change between scopes. I would have to rate the 10-50X as my first pick for having the sharpest image. The SIII 8-32X and my BR NF were a toss up for the next best image. My uneducated impression.....you could make a case that NF and Sightron use the same glass and coatings. But I don't want to start any rumors...or fights...it's just my uneducated opinion.

I'm really impressed at what Sightron is doing with the SIII line. I think for their price point....they are on top. Especially since they can equal NF's optical quality for much less $$$.

Wayne

pdog06
02-14-2010, 05:40 PM
Are you gonna do another comparison at 32x, maybe at 4-500 yards? Just curious how they stack up.

Senderofan
02-14-2010, 07:15 PM
Are you gonna do another comparison at 32x, maybe at 4-500 yards? Just curious how they stack up.

I messed around with it a little...today..in the sun. I would say the 10-50 has the edge with clarity at the longer ranges as well. All three seemed to have the same brightness and color rendition. My real interest now....is to see if the 1/8" turrets are repeatable. If this is as repeatable as my NF's are....then I'll be more than satisfied....especially at the price.

Wayne

pdog06
02-14-2010, 07:28 PM
thanks for the info Wayne.

02-20-2010, 07:47 PM
can anybody tell me where I can find lens cover that will fit this scope

Thanks

possum1
02-20-2010, 08:08 PM
you could use jelly jar lid's ;D

Senderofan
02-20-2010, 09:26 PM
you could use jelly jar lid's ;D

Yeah...That's about right!! Measured the outer diameter.... 2.72". I haven't looked for lens covers yet....just figured out which rings. I could get by with 1"...but ordered 1.125" to have room for covers and perhaps a heavier barrel down the road. This scope is very substantial to say the least.

Wayne

pdog06
06-29-2010, 07:40 PM
Hey wayne. Have you been able to use the scope much to tell its repeatability and an overall long term grade on it compared to your others?

Im getting ready to buy something. Am thinking a NF just because I havent heard much about the repeatability of these yet.

Anyone know of any other reviews out there on these?

Senderofan
06-29-2010, 10:14 PM
Hey wayne. Have you been able to use the scope much to tell its repeatability and an overall long term grade on it compared to your others?

Im getting ready to buy something. Am thinking a NF just because I havent heard much about the repeatability of these yet.

Anyone know of any other reviews out there on these?

No...And it's really bugging me. I went to the range a week ago...the place is half flooded out. We've had so much rain....every week...I can't get out. I will definitely post once I'm able to get out....Need to at least fireform brass for that rifle...and get the barrel broke in. If it's as repeatable as they claim it is....this is a real contender for the market that it was designed for. Not bashing NF...Got two of them and have been very happy.

More to follow....fingers crossed.

Wayne

rjtfroggy
06-30-2010, 07:05 AM
Pdog go to www.opticstalk.com I think there was a review done over there.If not ask I know a few of them have the SIII and have written about them.
Also check www.swfa.com and look at the rifle scope page some of the scopes have reviews by the buyers, don't forget to check the sample list to see if there is a demo or a trade in.

jiwilliams
07-11-2010, 03:13 AM
Wayne,

I'd also be interested in knowing how critical the eye relief is vis a via the NF at its max. I have Sightron 6-24 and a NF 8-32 and would consider this scope if you can get comfortable with the eye relief.

Thanks,

Joe