PDA

View Full Version : Notched Nut Trouble

AceRoth
09-05-2013, 01:04 AM
I've got a 112 from what I'm guessing is the mid-90's (serial number starts with F2). The nut is notched and to look at it, it looks just like all my others. But the wrench that works on the rest doesn't work on this one. Not the round notched end, not the square notched end. Is there a third notched option? Anyone know where I can get the wrench to fit it? Again, this is NOT a smooth nut.

snowgetter1
09-05-2013, 09:24 AM
If all else fails pipe wrench.

goinssr
09-05-2013, 10:07 AM
Smooth, round notch and square notch are the only nuts configurations that I have ever heard of. I have had some barrel nuts that were very close on tolerances and had to play with the wrench a bit to get them to slide on but always got them to work.

CAPTBEACH
09-05-2013, 10:35 PM
That barrel nut will give you nothing but problems if you do get it off...finding the right wrench to tighten it back up...use a pipe wrench and buy a new one...

sharpshooter
09-06-2013, 01:42 PM
Tell us why it wont fit..major diameter? minor diameter? flat width?

Nandy
09-06-2013, 10:08 PM
what are you doing with the rifle? No matter what I think you are better off just using a pipewrench and discarding the nut. if you are installing a nice expensive barrel then you will benefit from a high quality barrel nut, if you are just using a take off barrel or anything else then change it anyway so you dont find yourself in this spot again.

AceRoth
09-07-2013, 12:38 AM
Yes, the nut is going in the trash no matter what. I have a precision nut from Jim ready to go. As far as why it wont fit, I dont think its major or minor diameter, I think the splines are just a little off. Not sure if its shape or placement. It's really close, enough that you think tapping it with a mallet will do it but it won't. I've been worried the pipe wrench will slip and mess up the barrel but maybe some duct tape to protect it?

Nandy
09-07-2013, 10:17 AM
Yes, use duct tape or similar to protect the finish of the barrel and you should be good to go. If you will and are able can you get us some close ups of the nut and the nut tool close to it? Maybe sharpshooter can tell was wrong. He has done a barrel change or two...

stangfish
09-07-2013, 10:28 AM
Ace, Another big concern is grabbing the action by accident as well. Also you want to make sure that you don't twist the recoil lug either. Ther was a guy on the hide that go "physical" and destroyed his action. Procede with caution brother. Good luck.

AceRoth
09-08-2013, 05:17 PM
Thanks guys. Pipe wrench, penetrating oil and duct tape got it done with nothing the worse for the wear except the nut.

fgw_in_fla
09-08-2013, 05:30 PM
I just love a happy ending...

Congrats & welcome to your new addiction.