PDA

View Full Version : 6.5x47mm Hunting bullets for Mule Deer?

Deserthunter
02-13-2010, 06:26 PM
I've already built my Savage12FLV with a 6.5x47mm McGowan SS match barrel, It shoots very well. With the Choate stock and the 28" barrel it's to heavy to carry very far in the field. I'm already using it for long range coyotes. However, a great deal of my deer hunting now days is sitting, waiting, glassing, etc. off of a good rock, overlooking large canyons that are 3-500 yards across. I know the ballistics are good enough to "take" mule deer cleanly at those distances. I've been using my 270win for many years however, I'd like to try the 6.5. Does anyone have any experience with this cartridge and are there good "hunting" bullets in the 110-140gr range for the 6.5mm? (Hornaday, Nosler, Sierra)?

358Hammer
02-13-2010, 07:05 PM
I have been running the Nosler 130 Grain Accubond and haven't had a reason to change.

Neal

pa hog
02-13-2010, 08:30 PM
I've read and talked to many about this, as I did have a .260 I was gonna use for long range deer, they all recommended either 140gr Hunting VLD Bergers or the 140gr A-Max's as they both work very well on deer.

Idahojoe
03-14-2010, 09:44 PM
I have friends that have good luck with accubond and Berger. 750yd 1 shot kill with Berger. Good Luck

Deserthunter
03-19-2010, 03:21 AM
Pa Hog;

I thought that the A-Max was a very thin jacket..... paper only? I see that they are listed as "Medium Game" bullets..

I've got some (100ea.) 168gr. .308win A-Max, I'll try a few in some "medium" that approximates a Mule Deer and see what I think.... The VLD's should be alot like the "Barnes", shouldn't they?

handirifle
04-28-2010, 11:47 PM
If you're talking 300+ yard shots, the thin jacket like an Amax is what you need. Stouter bullets will most likely not expand reliably at the longer ranges. The Amax is real popular with single shot pistols, in rifle calibers, as well because of this trait.

cornstalker
05-02-2010, 07:32 PM
I thought that the A-Max was a very thin jacket..... paper only? I see that they are listed as "Medium Game" bullets..

I don't see them listed as medium game bullets.

Copied and pasted from the Hornady site.

* Ultra-low drag tip
* Aerodynamic secant ogive delivers flat trajectories
* Excellent uniformity and concentricity
* Jacket precision drawn for unequaled consistency
Delivers consistent accuracy at all ranges

*Match bullets are not recommended for hunting medium & large game.

I'd go with the Bergers if you can get along with the length.
I have had no issues with Accubonds other than the tips breaking off in the magazine.