PDA

View Full Version : 6.8 SPC on a Savage action!!

Nor Cal Mikie
02-13-2010, 05:23 PM
Got it done! Shilen Super Match, 24" long, straight taper, 1-11 twist, 5 groove, 11 degree crown, bead blasted finish. This is a 'bench" gun. Probably about 14 pounds on a "J" series action. Richards Micro Fit Wildcat Stock. No recoil.
I figured I'de run with the 6.8 SPC chamber and see how it works. Made it to the range and ran 55 rounds through it while cleaning and checking my worked up loads.
The scope was removed while I replaced the barrel and bolt head so I started at 25 yards to get it sighted back in. The first 2 rounds went in the same hole so I moved out to 100 yards and started shooting.
Cleaning between rounds makes for lousy patterns but it shoots real good.
Started with 90 grain Sierra HPBT. They have a pretty big hole in the HP compared to the Berger VLDs that I'v been shooting so I wasn't too sure how it would group. Not too bad for a hunting bullet. Switched to a 90 grain Speer TNT HPFB and they were grouping about 4" lower than the Sierra. Got most of the groups under 1" with no pressure signs. Both the Sierra and the Speer bullets are at the shoulder neck junction with a .010 jam. For a hunting rig I think it'll do. Not too sure about it being a bench gun but I'll know more as I work on the loads. Should be better now that the brass is fireformed. I'll neck size and reload.
At least I can the the 6.8 SPC works real good on the Savage platform. ;)

pa hog
02-13-2010, 06:00 PM
PICTURES!!!Sounds cool bro!!

Nor Cal Mikie
02-14-2010, 01:53 AM
Sorry guys. It's a "Pac Nor" barrel. My most humble apologies. I had Shilen on the brain. I wrote to Shilen to see if they chambered for the 6.8 SPC because it wasn't listed on their site. That was before Christmas and they didn't reply till mid January. In the mean time I had already ordered from Pac Nor because that caliber was listed.
Shilen are good barrels so if you prefer Shilen, don't hesitate to deal with them. I've got 2 Shilen barrels and they're both shooters. Shilen showed 14 to 16 weeks wait time. Pac Nor showed the same but the same day that I placed my order they sent me a note and said 4 to 6 weeks. Got it right on time. I wasn't in any real hurry.

GaCop
02-14-2010, 09:38 AM
Great round. I never did try it in a bolt gun but had it in an AR carbine platform. I sold that because it was an early barrel with the 1 in 9.5 twist.

darkker
02-14-2010, 05:34 PM
Head on over to 68forum.com
And browse around. You REALLY should look at the DMR, or SPCII chamber

Nor Cal Mikie
02-14-2010, 08:58 PM
Been there, done that. Go check the threads. 6.8 in a bult gun. ;)

GaCop
02-15-2010, 07:13 AM
My next AR build will be the SPCII chamber, 1 in 11 twist barrel. That's after I build my son's 20" plinker and finish my 1 in 7 twist heavy barrel Savage.

peterf225
02-15-2010, 10:45 AM
Which bolt head did you use and how was it modified? The only reason I ask is because the 6.8 has a different rim size than 223 or 308.

Nor Cal Mikie
02-15-2010, 01:00 PM
I had a friend open up a .223 bolt head. Must have taken at least 5 minutes. ;)
No modifications to the extractor and it seems to work well so far. I single feed and the case stays on the bolt head till I take it off. I tried Fred @Sharp Shooter Supply but I'am guessing they're overloaded with work.

The only problem that I've run into so far, and it's not "that" bad is the different type/design of the bullets available. I'am use to shooting Berger VLD and they have a pretty long point. Sierra HPs have a hole in the tip that's big enough to brake a leg in. ;)
They have a tendency to hang up (catch) going into the chamber. You have to fiddle with them.
Speer TNTs seem to work 100% better. I've also just loaded up a batch of Hornady 110 gr. V-Max and I'll know more tomorrow after another range trip.

peterf225
02-15-2010, 01:12 PM
Ok then that is what I was wondering. Thanks for the info. Now the wheels are turning in the head for a new barrel for my gun.

Nor Cal Mikie
02-15-2010, 01:20 PM
Doesn't take much to get you hooked!! ;) Sure gets in your blood. I liked the idea of less recoil that the .308 and a little more poop than the .223. Kinda like my BR rounds. So far, so good.

peterf225
02-15-2010, 01:33 PM
My name is Peter and I am addicted to Savage rifles.

I know it is an addiction. I have a F-Class that got rebarreled to 300 win mag that I use for 600 yd comps. Also have a LRPV with a 30" 8tw 6BR barrel and a 26" 308 barrel with a brake. Working on getting another barrel for it right now. Also working on getting another savage rifle.

Nor Cal Mikie
02-15-2010, 01:39 PM
99.99% of the 6.8 rigs are on the AR platform so I figured I'de try the round on a Savage and see what I could make out of it. And being a Savage sure makes for easy caliber change. One rifle will do most anything you can think of. (doesn't hurt to 2 or even 3) ;) Not sure if there's any "support group" available. ;D

Nor Cal Mikie
02-15-2010, 01:48 PM
If you start loading for the 6.8, go with the SSA brass. More surface around the small primers and the cases last a long time.
The SPC II has a longer throat and is prefered in the ARs compared to the SPC. Something about pressure signs in the AR?? I went with the SPC because of the shorter throat. (it'll only get longer as you shoot more rounds) 90s are at the shoulder neck junction and that's just where I wanted them.