PDA

View Full Version : 112 'j' Series caliber change

kevinakaq
09-03-2013, 10:20 PM
Recently purchased a 112 j series (single shot) in 223r. I have put a Sav-2 trigger on it along with a one piece rail with a Viper 4-16x44 mrad scope (low warne mounts). Bedded action. I was looking to rebarrel with a Criterion in the 6.5 family (shooting up to 300 yds primarily, and to 850 at times). Problem I'm having is the larger bolt head can't be found anwhere I look. Numrich has one listed but it has been out of stock for half of forever. Any ideas or suggestions for the change?

Part I need -
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/141820A.htm

Thanks in advance for any and all help!
Kevin

bootsmcguire
09-03-2013, 11:24 PM
The 112 J-Series should be a standard long action. Measure the 2 action screws if they are 5.062" apart then its a Long action. I have a 112R J-Series ("R" is the repeater, "S" is the single shot variant) and it is a Long Action so I am betting yours is too.

If that's the case you just need a Right Hand Long Action Bolt Head in the appropriate size for your caliber. The older bolt bodies had a tab or nub inside the bolt body that a notch in the bolt head's stem fit into. The later bolts did away with the tab. If the bolt head you get does not have the slot, just take a dremmel and grind off the tab inside the bolt body and you're all set.

Best and probably cheapest way to find one is become a paid member here and put up a "Want to Buy" ad in the Member Only classifieds here. I am sure someone will sell you a used one or trade for yours.

And everyone remember selling or trading outside the classified section here is prohibited.
Just figured I'd save you Mods the trouble.http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx111/bootsmcguire/ICONS%20and%20Forum%20Stuff/thumb_zps1839369f.gif (http://s747.photobucket.com/user/bootsmcguire/media/ICONS%20and%20Forum%20Stuff/thumb_zps1839369f.gif.html)

kevinakaq
09-04-2013, 12:01 AM
4.52 spacing on the action screws.

bootsmcguire
09-04-2013, 12:14 AM
Ouch, one of the oddballs. I was afraid of that. I cannot remember which one it takes, but it either takes a standard short or long action bolt head. I am pretty sure it is short. Here is a pic of bolt heads for comparison for you.
http://www.savageshooters.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=635&d=1327369670
The one on the far left is a standard short action, and the one in the center is a standard long action.
You will notice the difference in the distance from the hole to the end of the stem.

kevinakaq
09-04-2013, 12:34 AM
. . .

kevinakaq
09-04-2013, 12:35 AM
looks like the one in the center. Walked out to shop and snapped a quick pic.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67729401/photo.JPG

kevinakaq
09-04-2013, 01:08 AM
duplicate

kevinakaq
09-04-2013, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the help. I took apart my 110 fp tactical and the bolt head fit on the 112 j so we are good to go as I know exactly what to order now. Was thinking of a 308 sized PTG bolt head. Thoughts?

I'm also in another quandary, as I'm on the verge of ordering either a Criterion or Shilen barrel in 6mmBR from Jim and debating on the wisdom of the road I'm following. At the end of the day I will have a nice rifle with a fine barrel, nice trigger, etc., BUT I will still have an issue with the factory stock and that pesky 4.522 spacing. In other words, I can't order a bench rest stock with a wider forearm/adj. cheek rest/etc., and would be forced to go custom if I wanted a replacement. Am I holding the rifle back by using the factory stock which has a slightly less than 2" wide forearm. A custom stock would cost a pretty penny and that money might be better suited to another project with a standard action. I could put the barrel on the 110fp tactical but that rifle is shooting so good now that I've found a great load for it that I am loathe to do anything else to it (last three group session, five shots each, averaged .414). I'm expecting tighter groups as I practice out of the 6 BR but consider that fair for a factory 308 barrel. I realize I'm rambling here, but I have a lot of decisions to make and was looking for experienced opinions to assist in my making a decision.

As to use I am joining a club north of me that has a 300 yard and 850 range. I would like to compete in 'score' base competition primarily.

and sorry for all the posts above, I was doing this late last night and they weren't going through since they needed mod approval (I discovered later...). I cleaned them up a bit.

Thanks for any and all help as usual, and for listening...
Kevin

bootsmcguire
09-04-2013, 04:17 PM
I think you've got it figured out. It looks like you'll need the SBHLA04 on this page:
http://shop.pacifictoolandgauge.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=129_193&products_id=1291

I went down and measured several of my extra bolt heads and yours is the Long action.

And hang onto that LA-223 head you have on there now. Those are fairly rare anymore and desirable to people who build 204/233's on Long Actions or to a guy who has a switch barrel setup on a Long Action. You can use it for trade bait later on down the road.

kevinakaq
09-04-2013, 07:09 PM
I called ptg earlier and it looks like a 6-8 week backlog for the bolt face (and a 16.00 shipping charge if you order from their website for the item which amazed me!!!).

Thanks again for all the help, much appreciated indeed.

Kevin

bootsmcguire
09-04-2013, 09:58 PM
Looks like your best bet would be to pay your 15 bucks and join and then put a WTB ad up in the classifieds. I am sure someone would trade you or sell you one.

You may also just think about going ahead and trying to pick up a newer action for your build and leave this one alone. The money you spend on a donor rifle would be about the same as getting a full blown custom stock for your action. I think Boyds used to offer an aftermarket stock for that action, but I think it was more of a hunting styled stock. Might go and take a look.

kevinakaq
09-04-2013, 10:47 PM
Boyd's no longer has them but I did find that stockadegunstocks will cut a j action in their long range benchrest for 50 dollars which is reasonable. Browsed back ten pages of posts and happened upon that bit of info. There also is the option of making the stock, or rather duplicating an existing design. I made several muzzle loader stocks from scratch in years past (with my father) and the single shot j action would be much simplier than all the inletting required for a Hawken. My father's health has been in decline, and it might be one more opportunity to make a memory. It is an option, and there is always the pleasure, if done right, of doing it yourself.

I think I will join up to support the forum as much to find a good trade or two...

I have to admit I love the action on the j series. It is smooth as silk with zero play in the bolt. Nothing like my 110fp tactical, which while accurate, feels far less exact. Plus I like that it is a single shot and as a result a stronger action that beds quite well. Am I talking myself into the inevitable?

I got info from Jim tonight and am ordering the following -
28" - Shilen - Stainless Select Match - Small Shank - Bull - 8 Twist
NSS - Small Shank - Heavy Duty Recoil Lug
NSS - Small Shank - Precision Barrel Nut
NSS - Barrel Nut Wrench
NSS - Action Wrench (Savage and Remington)

a friend of mine always tells me, if you are going to be a bear...be a grizzly!

kevin

bootsmcguire
09-04-2013, 11:12 PM
Shoot me a PM once you're signed up and I'll see if I can't help with a bolt head.

Jim's a great guy to deal with. What caliber did you order?

kevinakaq
09-04-2013, 11:15 PM
6mmBR. And will definitly do so on the pm.

Is there any advantage of the PTG bolt head versus a Savage or an SSS?

bootsmcguire
09-05-2013, 06:15 PM
The possible benefits of the Aftermarket bolt heads have been debated here in a couple of threads. IIRC the consensus around here was that unless you are going with a full-blown timed and trued action with ground recoil lug and ground precision barrel nut, there is really no noticeable difference.

You will like that 6BR. I ordered a CBI 6BR 1-8" twist 28" Small Shank Varmint contour barrel from NSS a couple years back when the CBI Savage prefits first came on the scene and I am happy with the accuracy and how easy it cleans up. Varget will be one of your best friends with the 6BR.

12fv 308
09-08-2013, 02:05 PM
I built the same rifle from the same action. I like the stock and had it bedded. I bought a used 1 in 14 twist kearger in 6ppc and had it made into a 6br. I wanted to try my hand at 100 yard benchrest. You will be very happy when you get it done..
Pete

kevinakaq
09-08-2013, 06:41 PM
I was able to get a new bolt head in the "j" style from Scott at S&S. Will see how it performs in the long term. A precision ground nut and machined lug was part of my order from Jim at NSS. I eventually plan to have the action timed and trued but that is a ways off. I should have my laminate stock blank in late this week which will keep me occupied for a couple weeks. I put together some pine the other day into a blank and inletted for practice and everything went good.

Still deciding on miscellaneous items to order. An adjustable buttplate (Tubbs or Graco) or not...to install an adjustable comb or not. Of course since I'm doing the stock myself I have the luxury of fitting it perfectly, but future adjustment is always great.

Really looking forward to getting it all together and trying it out at the 300 yard range.

Does anyone know what neck thickness I can expect from Lapua brass in 6mm BR. Trying to figure out which bushings to order with a "S" type sizing die. I am thinking 268/267. Chamber is a 272. I will be using a K&M to turn the necks minimally.

Kevin

bootsmcguire
09-08-2013, 11:05 PM
Sounds like you got a good plan going. Looking forward to seeing a ranger report when you get it up and running.

Best of luck.

kevinakaq
09-20-2013, 04:22 PM
Well that project is coming along nicely and I thought I would supply an chronological update images. I have the new barrel on the action and received the stock blank a couple days ago. Inletting went great on the receiver/barrel channel. I am now starting to shape the stock (rasp in hand) and so far so good (same thing guy kept saying who fell out of the window of a ten story building)... Have adjustable buttplate coming in mail (Wednesday or so). Hope to be finished by next weekend and ready for clear coat.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67729401/IMG_20130917_180236_841.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67729401/IMG_20130919_171231_991.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67729401/IMG_20130920_161139_364.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67729401/IMG_20130920_163129_833.jpg

thanks again for the help.
Kevin

airdale
09-20-2013, 05:03 PM
Looking good, can't wait to see it with the clear coat applied.