PDA

View Full Version : Removing the muzzle break

Pages : [1] 2

Grizz
09-03-2013, 08:07 PM
Like the title says....how do you remove the muzzle break for someone who is a non-gunsmith and can you shoot the rifle without one? I am looking to try a long distance "fun" competition shoot but muzzle breaks are not allowed for some reason. Thanks in advance

stangfish
09-03-2013, 08:32 PM
It depends on your brake. It is a right handed thread so looking at the end of the barrel it will turn counter clockwise to come off. Some brakes have a flat for a wrench some do not. You got pictures?

Grizz
09-03-2013, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the reply....I don't have a pic and I am not sure which way it will turn but it is the factory break that comes with the 10BA chambered in 308. I'll try to get one when I get home.

Can the rifle still be shot without the break???

stangfish
09-03-2013, 09:21 PM
It will turn just like any bolt you unscrew. Counter clockwise. The brake has flats for a wrench. You will need a meathod of securing the barrel like a barrel vise. once you have the barrel secured put the correct wrench on the flats(the provisions on the action end of the brake that will allow you to put a wrench on it) and turn it CCW looking at the muzzle.

Balljoint
09-03-2013, 09:37 PM
Have same rifle and was wondering how to take it off also

sinman
09-03-2013, 09:59 PM
They unscrew, have 5/8x24 threads. Just get a thread protector to cover the threads.

Grizz
09-04-2013, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the replies....

My only other question is whether or not it still can be shot with out the break or does something nee to be threaded on in its place????

pitsnipe
09-04-2013, 11:44 AM
Nothing needs to be there. POI will change without it so ya know. So for this fun match you will need to re zero your desired load.Thread protector just keeps ya from dinging the very fine threads.
Good Shootin!

fgw_in_fla
09-04-2013, 11:47 AM
When I removed the break from my .308 fluted barrel, I had to use vice grips with thick leather in the jaws to hold the barrel & a wrench on the flats of the break.
Mine had a "pucker factor" of at least 8.3....

missed
09-04-2013, 11:56 AM
When I removed the break from my .308 fluted barrel, I had to use vice grips with thick leather in the jaws to hold the barrel & a wrench on the flats of the break.
Mine had a "pucker factor" of at least 8.3....

I did about the same.

I warmed my brake with the heat gun and it made the removal a much lower pucker factor with some heat to expand the brake. I didn't know if they were Loctite on them, 300 degrees and the Loctite is done.

Grizz
09-04-2013, 12:00 PM
Why are you not allowed muzzle breaks??? I can't see where it would give you any advantage as far as accuracy goes

stangfish
09-04-2013, 12:34 PM
It is intrusive to the shooter next to you.

fgw_in_fla
09-04-2013, 12:37 PM
It is intrusive to the shooter next to you.

Well then maybe the shooter next to the guy with a muzzle brake should find a new hobby....

Maybe knitting, needle point, planting begonias, interior decorating. Something not so disturbing.

And quiet....

Grizz
09-04-2013, 12:37 PM
Ahhhh, that makes sense!! So I guess it would also be considered a social no no to shoot one at the public range as well then. All that being said, is it REALLY that intrusive??

fgw_in_fla
09-04-2013, 12:49 PM
What about all the weekend wonder warriors & their AR's that all have breaks that aim toward the back?

missed
09-04-2013, 01:11 PM
Well then maybe the shooter next to the guy with a muzzle brake should find a new hobby....

Maybe knitting, needle point, planting begonias, interior decorating. Something not so disturbing.

And quiet....

Excellent post.

I can see issues shooting in the dirt side by side, but shooting off mats, benches, concrete.

Hey if the ladies would get back in the kitchen we wouldn't have to worry about our braked rifles.

A range I used to shoot at the stations had braked signs you flipped down, I had my sign down and a guy setup next to me and I sent one out of my old 300wm and he hit the ground like I blew up a grenade right there and then went to whining about **** kids and there obnoxious braked guns!!

Grizz
09-04-2013, 01:21 PM
So I've been doing some reading about F class shooting particularly with reference to the "F Class-Factory" division. It states that you have to shoot an unaltered factory rifle with the exception of glass bedding and trigger work.
Since my rifle came from Savage with a break already installed does that not mean to shoot that class I would have to leave it on??

missed
09-04-2013, 01:33 PM
So I've been doing some reading about F class shooting particularly with reference to the "F Class-Factory" division. It states that you have to shoot an unaltered factory rifle with the exception of glass bedding and trigger work.
Since my rifle came from Savage with a break already installed does that not mean to shoot that class I would have to leave it on??

Its up to the range, I have not been in any brake friendly matches.

Onewolf
09-04-2013, 02:08 PM

And quiet....

About half the guys in our long range club shoot rifles with muzzle brakes. I have become used to shooting next most of them. The 338 magnums still seem pretty loud and the concussion is stout, but tolerable. However in the future I'm not willing to deal with the 50BMG on the platform with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI6GweQKgiA

stangfish
09-04-2013, 03:05 PM
Look you dad gum Floridian. This aint sniper training school here!!!! Thier aint no Sargeant throwing water on you and screaming at you while you range a shot at 736 yards then dope your scope and hit the silhouette. This is competition for the old fat guys that finaly have money to play around. They are snobs and crybabies and they want to shoot little tiney groups at paper. Try to do that when a gust of 180 mph wind blows grasshopper turds in your eye and blows you hat off your head.