PDA

View Full Version : B-Mag Series: Disappointing .17 WSM ammo results and B Mag 'flexi-flyer' stock fix

n4ue
09-03-2013, 05:49 PM
OK, I have been deluged with requests for my stock 'fix'..... Since I am obviously "pre-caveman" and still haven't figgered out Photobucket, I'm going to try to describe my fix. YES, I know a pix is worth a 1000 words. ha ha

First, I shot the B Mag at the range today. This 'fix' did NOT change poi, at least in my rifle.
Unload gun, remove magazine.
Take off the stock.
Procure a 3" or so piece of 3/8" (OD) rubber fuel line. Using a nice sharp razor knife, make a cut of aprox 45 degrees through the hose.
Place one piece in each side of the stock forend in the channel, either before or after the front sling anchor. The rubber hose is placed so the top of the hose is about flush with the top surface of the stock. The angles will be sloping down toward the center of the stock. All this does is limit the side to side movement of the stock. A rubber cradle.

I'm going to experiment with more 'elegant' stock fixturing methods, but this does work and again, does not change poi, in MY rifle.

Now on to the ammo.....

I shot some 25 gr .17 WSM ammo at my standard suite of 'expanding' targets today.
First up, was several water filled plastic jugs. Bullet simply went through both sides, very similar to a .223 FMJ.
Next, I tried one of my "reactive" targets. Similar results. Straight through. Thought it might have been too old.
I had my boss's new Savage M12 22-250 I recently picked up for him.
55 gr spitzer made the 'reactive' target 'react'. Same with the water jugs. Awesome!

Maybe the 20 gr bullets would be more explosive. Since I have been reloading 30 cartridges, some for more than 40 years, it just seems the bullet construction is too tough...
Since there are no PDs here, I can't comment on their performance on small critters....

YMMV

regards,

ron

JG26_Irish
09-04-2013, 07:30 AM
Maybe the 20 gr bullets would be more explosive. Since I have been reloading 30 cartridges, some for more than 40 years, it just seems the bullet construction is too tough...
Since there are no PDs here, I can't comment on their performance on small critters....

What was the range on your "Reactive Tgts"? I tried mine on potatoes the other day at the range just for fun. At 50/100/150yds it blew them apart with the same "Thump" that you hear when hitting a PD. It was quite explosive. At 200yds it was less impressive but did blow them apart, just not as violently. The .223 vaporizes them, even at 200yds.

As for small critters. I have collected five eastern grey squirrels with it so far. All with the 25g ballistic tip at ranges from 20-30yds out to 100yds. Three were center mass hits and all three were disemboweled with more destruction than I would have wanted for game. Nearly blown in half. The other two were head shots resulting in complete decapitation. Very effective. Until yesterday, it had never missed but I hate to admit that I missed an easy one sitting on the trunk of a hickory at about 30yds. I just rushed the shot and pulled it left. Knew it at the break and watched one lucky squacker get away. I had refrained from posting the pic since it was not pretty but in the interest of intellectual knowledge of its effect on small critters, I am sharing it now. Make sure the kids are not looking over your shoulder.

Irish

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/JG26_Irish/OpeningDayCarnagephoto.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/JG26_Irish/media/OpeningDayCarnagephoto.jpg.html)

n4ue
09-04-2013, 09:38 PM
Hi Irish. I have a private range, that goes to 200+ yards. At the present time, I have my bench (VERY solid) set at 50 yards. This is the distance I use to get all my new rifles 'on target'...
The WSMs went 'right through the targets mentioned. In my experience, the performance was not too far removed from my 3 .17 HRM rifles...
Again, just disappointed SO far.....

ron

plinkin
09-07-2013, 01:02 AM
Hmm maybe I will have to test this myself.