PDA

View Full Version : Centerfire Stevens 322a extractor issues

Stormhawk
09-02-2013, 10:31 PM
First post here. I have an odl Stevens 322a project rifle with extraction issues. The rifle came without the extractor, plunger and spring. Ten minutes netted me the new parts from Numrich and they installed with no problem. The issues I'm running into are that with the new extractor installed the action is EXTREMELY stiff when chambering a round. My other 322a is like butter compared to this one with the new extractor and in comparing the parts the extractors have a slightly different shape on the lower front edge. Are these fitted to specific guns? Do they need time to break in? I wouldn't worry except that the new extractor is chewing up my brass and hornet brass isnt cheap or long lasting. Any ideas?

jonbearman
09-28-2013, 09:15 AM
Compare the extrator springs and I will bet the new one is way to strong.You might try jack first,you will have to call and ask if they make or have springs for it.You could shorten the spring a half a coil at a time to try to get it to snap over the case head without damaging the rim.

Stormhawk
10-15-2013, 11:16 PM
The issue seemed to be a burr on the edge of the extractor where it fitted into the bolt head. A little bit of filing smoothed it right up. The rifle cycles great now and has been riding around in my truck waiting to pop the unfortunate jackrabbit or fox dumb enough to stand still.