PDA

View Full Version : .308Win. Starter reloading kits.

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

thermaler
01-15-2014, 10:30 PM
You mean magnum LR vs regular LR? Usually it's the type of powder load you're using that determines the type of primer. I've never used magnums on 308 due to relatively moderate charge size--but some like to use them with any size load if using spherical powders. I use whatever the load manuals recommend.

LoneWolf
01-15-2014, 11:01 PM
Ok just trying to verify if any large rifle primer will work (due to availability) or if I require a specific type of LR Primer.

bootsmcguire
01-15-2014, 11:59 PM
For the 308 any standard large rifle primer should work just fine. Magnums are unnecessary as the case size doesn't hold enough powder to warrant it, however if all you can find are magnums they will work. If you work up a load using standard primers, you will want to back off on your charge if you switch to magnums. I have found that Winchester LR and Fed 210s interchange fine with no worries in the 308.

All that said, it is a wise idea that anytime you change one of your components for a worked up load that you back of your charge and work back up just to be safe in the event that the change raises your pressures for some reason.

fgw_in_fla
01-16-2014, 05:13 AM
Ok just trying to verify if any large rifle primer will work (due to availability) or if I require a specific type of LR Primer.

Have a look on page 57 of Lymans 49th...
There's a chart with different primers used in the exact same loaded cartridge. It shows a difference of about 37fps between all the primers tested. Standard LR primers - not magnum.
The couple times I ran known accurate loads with either a Rem9.5, CCI or WLR primer, I didn't see any noticeable difference in accuracy. I did notice Rem had the most FTF, Win occasionally burned thru the back of the cup & CCI have never failed me.
Hence, my cabinet is stocked mostly with CCI 200 and a few odd boxes of WLR & Rem 9-1/2's....

emtrescue6
01-16-2014, 08:34 AM
As others have already posted, any LR primer should get the job done for you...I've always had reliable performance with CCI 200, WIN LR and FED201M's in my 308's...

Hello, my name is CJ and I am a primer, powder, brass and bullet hoarder...

fgw_in_fla
01-16-2014, 08:58 AM
Meetings are Wednesday night, CJ.....
Then you can introduce yourself to the group & say your piece about your particular addiction, neuroses, or any other OCD you may have....

emtrescue6
01-16-2014, 09:09 AM
Meetings are Wednesday night, CJ.....
Then you can introduce yourself to the group & say your piece about your particular addiction, neuroses, or any other OCD you may have....

How's it even possible to get all that into 1 evening? LOL

fgw_in_fla
01-16-2014, 09:24 AM
Meeting starts Wednesday night...

Ends Thursday afternoon. We have a lot of members.

thermaler
01-16-2014, 09:24 AM
My name is MF and I am a primer, powder, brass and bullet hoarder too...

I also lust after good-looking/shooting weapons more than good-lookin women.

What should I do?

fgw_in_fla
01-16-2014, 09:45 AM
That's not an affliction, Therm.

That's called AGE....

We all go thru it eventually. I'm going thru "manopause" myself.
We look to our guns, reloading, hunting & hoarding for that satisfaction we once knew.

thermaler
01-16-2014, 09:57 AM
That's not an affliction, Therm.

That's called AGE....

We all go thru it eventually. I'm going thru "manopause" myself.
We look to our guns, reloading, hunting & hoarding for that satisfaction we once knew.

Jeez--you almost made me throw up my breakfast from laughing so hard. : )

fgw_in_fla
01-16-2014, 10:04 AM
Yeah, I know....
Sometimes, just sometimes the truth is funny.

I can hear my arthritis laughing now, in fact...

thermaler
01-16-2014, 10:07 AM
Yeah, I know....
Sometimes, just sometimes the truth is funny.

I can hear my arthritis laughing now, in fact...As a friend tells me when we start talking:

"You think YOU got problems!"

thermaler
01-16-2014, 08:58 PM
Funny this question of primers came up--I went out and tested some home-rolled 300 win mags this afternoon and used federal 215 large magnum rifle primers and had my first failure to fire ever--the primer was hit good and hard but did not ignite.

LoneWolf
01-17-2014, 10:17 PM
Well broke down and dipped into savings, 8lbs of IMR 4064, 2000ct CCI #200 Primers, and bought 300 of the 175gr Nosler Custom Comp Bullets.

I took the double HAZMAT fee this time, but sometimes in order to get started you just have to bite the bullet:eagerness:

missed
01-17-2014, 10:22 PM
Nice! That has been what has been holding me back is the double hazmat since nobody has had primers and powder at the same time.

LoneWolf
01-17-2014, 10:31 PM
Ya I compared all the components to purchasing 300 rounds of factory and the price was not much different honestly. In fact with only having to purchase bullets after that for some time it's quite a bit cheaper!

fgw_in_fla
01-17-2014, 11:36 PM
Here's where the justification comes in....

No matter what you pay for components, always tell yourself (or wife) - "You can't buy ammo this accurate"...

Looks like you're well on your way to being a full fledged OCD addict reloader.

thermaler
01-17-2014, 11:53 PM
Here's where the justification comes in....

No matter what you pay for components, always tell yourself (or wife) - "You can't buy ammo this accurate"...

Looks like you're well on your way to being a full fledged OCD addict reloader.Once you've drunk the koolaid--there's no turning back : )

fgw_in_fla
01-18-2014, 12:03 AM
Either drank to Kool-Aid or snorted the propellant.