PDA

View Full Version : .308Win. Starter reloading kits.

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

LoneWolf
09-03-2013, 07:54 AM
Lol I have to order online as it is in Cali. Would imagine reloading to be the same for me. To make things worst trying to find ammo out in town I have to deal with like 50,000+ other Marines that live in the area.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

rjtfroggy
09-03-2013, 10:39 AM
LW make friends with the Armorer or the range officer on base. Nobody has more amo than them.
I started over 30 years ago with the RCBS kit everything I needed to start was in the kit, only thing I had to get was components. I still use the same stuff plus alot of extras I picked up over the years, but don't really have to have because the basic kit will do it.

jbjh
09-03-2013, 11:24 AM
+1 on what Boots said. The Lee turret is a good way to jump in with both feet. Start it as a single stage and just move each station around. When you're ready, you can convert it to a progressive. And you can set up a different caliber by changing out the turret. Initial setup can be a little finicky, but there's lots of tips online (trust me - start by reading and watching YouTube videos. You'll save a lot a frustration and expensive therapy sessions).

Midway had good deals on the whole setup with a set of dies for around $200, but that was before Western Civilization lost its collective mind and started hoarding all things gun.

bootsmcguire
09-03-2013, 03:54 PM
and I forgot to add, If you get the turret press from Lee, remove the indexing rod unit and turn the turret by hand. That way you can run as a single stage, or just rotate the turret by hand to go progressive. It runs tons smoother this way and you will be happier in the end.

Good luck no matter which way you go.

DanSavage
09-03-2013, 06:59 PM
Hi Lonewolf,

I bought the Lee kit about 3 years ago and have loaded around 2,500 of .308. I upgraded to the Frankford digital scale which sped up my reloading process incredibly, replaced the Lee chamfer tool with RCBS, and added the Redding powder trickler. I also use the .308 Lee Collet Die. I'm planning on using Wilson dies and arbor press in the future when I have some extra funds.

Over all I've been very happy with the press, which functions just like new, the powder thrower dumps Rel. 15 right on the money, but had a little problem with the cover for the auto prime, the tabs eventually broke off but to me I could care less, it still functions great and I can get a good feel seating the primer. Lee scale works great, it will indicate 1 kernal of Varget. I wanted something faster than the beam and have been happy with the Frankford scale so far.

You'l love reloading it's very rewarding.

Dan

6mmBR_Shooter
09-04-2013, 04:33 PM
I don't like how the regular Lee turret punches out the primers. They go all over the place. The classic turret's ram is hollow and you can either position a trash can under the press or put a tube to catch the primers.

I have very few complaints about the Lee Turret, but this is one of them. If I was doing it over again, I would pay the extra little bit for the Classic turret so I wouldn't have to spend so much time finding spent primers and cleaning up primer residue from the floor and table.

LoneWolf
01-15-2014, 04:16 PM
So after all this time I decided to finally pick up the Lee Precision Anniversary Reloading Kit to start down this path. I will definitely expand down the road, but for now this gets me moving. Next month I'll have to start ordering components, but at least i can prep all my brass until then!

fgw_in_fla
01-15-2014, 04:35 PM
You won't regret your decision, Sarge.
I started out with a Lee kit back when they were $69. I still have & use most of the components.

A few tools / odds & ends and soon, ahhhhh yes, soon you'll be as OCD as the rest of us.
I knew it was going to happen. Just a question of time. The Axis re-barreling was the giveaway....

Happy OCD... I mean reloading.

LoneWolf
01-15-2014, 06:17 PM
Ya I've been looking at the price of piecing a kit together and in the long run this will get me learning and shooting my own loads sooner rather than later. At least I managed to pick up a set of new/used Lee Collet 308 dies for a great deal a month or so back. Missed out on a small stash of 175SMK's that were in the classifieds though for a great price.

might have to take a break from shooting until I can get all the components in, but if i get an 8lbs can of IMR 4064 I should be good for quite awhile.

fgw_in_fla
01-15-2014, 06:40 PM
Keep an eyeball on Midway for bullets. I get my regular stash shipments from them. 30 cal is my heaviest usage. Also, Natchez has has IMR4064 on a regular basis.

Of course, the hazmat fee makes it expensive to buy one pound but it's not too awfully bad if you buy 6 - 8 lbs at a clip.

Best way to start your learning process. A nice inexpensive reload set up. I used mine for about 3 months before I started adding to it. Interesting point: If I weigh out 40.4gr on the Lee scale it exactly the same as on my RCBS scale. Even pistol charges like 3 -4gr are exactly the same on both scales. Just don't knock the scale off the bench I did one day. It was never the same & one of the guys here hooked me up with an old Lee scale he had. I damaged the beam & it never worked right again.

missed
01-15-2014, 07:41 PM
If your in San Diego county the sheriff has crapped on all the reloaders by only allowing gun shops to have #30 of powder on hand which basically means no #8. Powder valley has been getting 4064 about every other week. I haven't gotten any since they haven't had primers and powder at the same time.

fgw_in_fla
01-15-2014, 07:55 PM
Say what?!?!?
The county sheriff dictating what shops can sell? What's his name? Does it begin with Adolf?

I'm glad our local sheriff is pro -gun / 2nd Amend.
It's bad enough powder & primers are in short supply without some jack booted thug making it even harder.

missed
01-15-2014, 08:14 PM
Say what?!?!?
The county sheriff dictating what shops can sell? What's his name? Does it begin with Adolf?

I'm glad our local sheriff is pro -gun / 2nd Amend.
It's bad enough powder & primers are in short supply without some jack booted thug making it even harder.

He was pretty much that. Funny part is San Diego is fairly right wing. He called it a fire hazard..... But the fertilizer places could have 1000's of tons of ammonia nitrate.... There was a powder supplier in Fontana that when they could get stuff you could go get it. There was a group at Escondido rod and gun club that would make regular trips up there. When I was still there I went on a run and I bet we had over #1000 in powder and primers.

thermaler
01-15-2014, 08:32 PM
Maybe they've run out of things to do since increasingly they don't bust people for drugs?

fgw_in_fla
01-15-2014, 08:35 PM
Worse case scenario, we might have to get Sarge hooked up from our stashes. After all, we are enablers....

Won't be long & he'll be at the Reloader's OCD meeting with us. By the way, where's the meeting this week?

thermaler
01-15-2014, 08:50 PM
I just loaded a few dozen Audette test rounds in 300 win mag and I swear it cost 3 times as much as factory stuff. It might be cheaper to start buying factory and disassemble it?

Has anyone tried reloading with powder from fireworks?

fgw_in_fla
01-15-2014, 08:59 PM
Powder from fireworks?....
Hmmmm...

You may be on to something there. I have a big box of leftover stuff from the 4th. I'll get back to you.

LoneWolf
01-15-2014, 09:37 PM
Powder from fireworks?....
Hmmmm...

You may be on to something there. I have a big box of leftover stuff from the 4th. I'll get back to you.

Frank you need to change your signature to a disclaimer!

I appreciate it guys. I can find 8 pounders of IMR 4046, I just can't find primers at the same place to avoid a double HAZMAT fee. The local shops around here can be iffy when you're not a regular local! So even with ammo I buy online. A shop in town I stopped at was selling the FGMM for like $50 a box of 20. usually around $35 or so online. I could probably get away with just reloading for F-class matches. The steal matches I seem to get away with the Factory stuff.

thermaler
01-15-2014, 10:02 PM
I never did get this hazmat thing--I don't recall paying one for primers--and of all the components for reloading they seem to the easiest to find; hoarding them doesn't make sense if'n you don't have powder or boolits.

If you anticipate going long with 308 I can't see how you can NOT load your own.

LoneWolf
01-15-2014, 10:10 PM
While I have your attention can someone explain how diffrent Primers will affect the load?