PDA

View Full Version : A good day with the .308 with new XLR Chassis at 547 yds prone bipod

Joe L
09-02-2013, 12:41 PM
I was able to shoot my 10 FCP-K pretty well with the Accustock but was never really comfortable behind the gun. I bought an XLR Industries chassis and have been working with it and the bipod to get more comfortable behind the gun. I had some good results at 300 yards a week ago, and had a chance to shoot at 547 yards this weekend. I had to change bipod height, eye relief, parallax, and ammo to find a combination that was as good as before the chassis switch. But I made it! Here is the best of 3 similar groups from this morning (Monday).

http://joelynch.smugmug.com/Firearms/Savage-Model-10/i-nn2qM2k/0/M/EE506824-M.jpg

This is a 3x4 card. I am still having trouble maintaining a clear focus through the scope for more than a few shots. But I'm getting there. I think it is more bipod height and neck angle than anything else now. I almost have too many options for adjustment now.

Joe

stangfish
09-02-2013, 03:05 PM
I would call that some good shooting. What is your load recipe?

Joe L
09-02-2013, 06:46 PM
Stangfish, current load recipe is...drive to Academy, pick up two boxes of Fed GMMK 168, quick draw the credit card, drive to range.

I will start reloading this fall. Ammo variability was driving me nuts while trying to dial in the new chassis.

Joe

Joe L
09-02-2013, 09:49 PM
I made a short video of me shooting the rounds shown in the photo. Let me know if you see anything I can improve upon.

I think I shut my eyes right after the gun went off due to the dust that was blown up as a result of the muzzle brake, even after I put the towel down in front of the shooting mat.

http://youtu.be/R7u7V6-8Y-c

This is fun.

Joe

stangfish
09-02-2013, 10:16 PM
What is the interval between shots?

Joe L
09-02-2013, 10:42 PM
Stangfish--I went back to the uncut clip and checked the time between shots, average about 44 seconds, mostly spent getting the cant correct and then getting a clear sight picture, all after running the bolt. A little under 3 minutes total time from 1st shot to 5th.

Joe

seanhagerty
09-03-2013, 05:20 AM
The clip looks like the same shot over and over, so you are consistent.

WHere does your sight picture end up after you shoot? Is it close to your target, or is it off left or right a bit? The reason I ask is, you look like you are not centered up behind your rifle. If you are centered up, the rifle should recoil straight back and then drop right back on target or very close to it.

Sean

stangfish
09-03-2013, 06:12 AM
I know one thing...there aint no wind.

Joe L
09-03-2013, 06:46 AM
Stangfish--you are correct, no wind.

SeanHagerty--I may have edited too much out of this video. I took some stills during the session the day before that indicated I was behind the rifle pretty well, but I had the left shoulder higher than the left. When I made this video I had raised the bipod a little more than the previous day and this helped me level out the shoulders. The gun was returning to the target pretty well, compared to the day before. Previously, I was lined up too far left with the right shoulder way low compared to the right.

I didn't have any dope on this ammo with the muzzle brake and it took me several rounds to get the scope dialed in on target 7. Shot a good group on 8, made a 0.3 mil windage correction based on 7, then went back to a clean card 6 and shot the group in the video.

Thanks for the comments.

Joe

capreppy
09-03-2013, 01:57 PM
I might have to make a trip to West Texas to come shoot with you some time.

How are you liking the XLR? I had mine installed a couple of months ago and am in love with it. Saving the pennies to put one on my 223 trainer. Rock solid and just feels right.

Joe L
09-03-2013, 02:05 PM
Capreppy--I love the XLR chassis, but I am still working on it as far as getting everything right. It is an excellent piece of hardware, in my opinion. I am having to re-learn everything! But, I am already more comfortable behind the gun than before.

Those shots from this weekend were done at our club range in Ruidoso, NM. Nothing that green or hilly in West Texas! Friend of ours from Weatherford was with me at the range on Sunday, but was driving on Monday.

Joe