PDA

View Full Version : Action truing

busted leg
09-02-2013, 01:00 AM
The recess cut for the "axis recoil lug" is the metal turned to make surface flat,trued?
I am getting a new barrel and want to use standard savage recoil lug
Cant post a picture yet
Thanks Busted Leg

stangfish
09-02-2013, 01:57 AM
Yes, I cant remember but I think the relief is arond 3/16ths deep. That is removed so that the standard savage recoil lug has a full 360 degrees of contact. Get a ground one if you can.

LoneWolf
09-02-2013, 07:56 AM
You are correct Stang. I posted about this topic awhile back.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

JWW123
09-02-2013, 10:04 AM
dbl post

JWW123
09-02-2013, 10:05 AM
its easy to do takes a lathe and mill about 30 min. time

stangfish
09-02-2013, 10:09 AM
There is a proper way to do this.

daviscustom
09-03-2013, 09:37 PM
There is a proper way to do this.

4" disc grinder or a dremel tool? :devilish::boink:

I have one to do too.......so I'll bite, what is the proper way to face off the front of the receiver?

My plan was to chuck it up in the lathe with brass shims to keep from mussing up the finish....then dial indicate on the OD of the receiver, then tap it around and adjust the run-out to zero in two locations so I know it is running true....then face off the notch.

Can i rely on the inside of the receiver being concentric with the OD?....or do I need to have a way to set it up based on the bolt lug recesses?

stangfish
09-03-2013, 09:47 PM
I like the way this guy has done it. The primarything is to have the bolt raceway as true as possible when truing and action. Something often overlooked is the axis of the scope base screw holes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue3rOgZOm6g

This is a remington but the standard for truing an action face.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1NlIKGO6XM

daviscustom
09-03-2013, 09:56 PM
Looks like a plan......not as easy as my plan, but probably better results then my plan.

Thanks for the links.

sinman
09-03-2013, 09:58 PM
4" disc grinder or a dremel tool? :devilish::boink:

I have one to do too.......so I'll bite, what is the proper way to face off the front of the receiver?

My plan was to chuck it up in the lathe with brass shims to keep from mussing up the finish....then dial indicate on the OD of the receiver, then tap it around and adjust the run-out to zero in two locations so I know it is running true....then face off the notch.

Can i rely on the inside of the receiver being concentric with the OD?....or do I need to have a way to set it up based on the bolt lug recesses?

That is the wrong way. You need an action holding jig where you can adjust front and rear in 4 directions independently. I built my own and I use PT&G rod and bushings.

daviscustom
09-03-2013, 10:00 PM
That is the wrong way. You need an action holding jig where you can adjust front and rear in 4 directions independently. I built my own and I use PT&G rod and bushings.

Devin? Sin-Arms?

I figured my way wasn't the right way....I like making a threaded insert for the front and a tight fitting rod to go in the bolt raceway....live center in the front and adjust rod for zero runout in the rear. Seems like that should do nicely

stangfish
09-03-2013, 10:09 PM
Might even cut a larger center in the chuck end and drive with a dog so you don't induce some unwanted stress.

daviscustom
09-03-2013, 10:15 PM
Might even cut a larger center in the chuck end and drive with a dog so you don't induce some unwanted stress.

Oh yes....nicely played!.....and no big deal to pull off either.

I knew you guys would have me lined out in no time. I run a manual lathe all day, but I don't get a lot of time to do gun work so I wasn't sure the best way to do it.

stangfish
09-03-2013, 10:44 PM
I run a manual lathe all day, but I don't get a lot of time to do gun work so I wasn't sure the best way to do it.

I know the feeling.

thomae
09-04-2013, 07:30 AM
I have machine tool envy...I want to come over to your houses and learn how to play with your toys!

87predator
09-04-2013, 10:18 AM
I have machine tool envy...I want to come over to your houses and learn how to play with your toys!
Amen to that. Would love to have knowledge and tools to do some of my own work.

daviscustom
09-04-2013, 05:45 PM

You are welcome to come hang out.....but it's a pretty hefty drive from PA to Missouri......Kansas on the other hand.....that's doable. 87 predator you're not a Jayhawk fan are you?

I was pretty pleased with my little 10" Atlas lathe I have at home....before I started working full time in a machine shop. Now it is just a toy that rarely gets used. Now when I use it, it is hard to believe how much flex there is in the machine and how wimpy it is.