PDA

View Full Version : electronic poeder scale

robert de
09-02-2013, 12:31 AM
I'm looking for a good electronic scale. I bought a store brand model, big mistake I was reloading 17 hh shells and was trickling the last 2 to 3 tenths of a grain of powder. I felt something did not seem quite right the way the scale was reacting to the powder as it trickled in so I double checked on my manual scale. All thee of the shells were a good two grains over what the scale read out. I still want to go digital but would like some feedback on a good brand.

deaddeerwalking
09-02-2013, 08:48 AM
do yourself a favor and stick with a quality beam scale.

missed
09-02-2013, 08:55 AM
I'm not much of a fan of the electronic scales that are on the lower end.

My digital is a ohaus. Static and air currents can jack with the scales my scale is very repeatable and accurate but I think it was a $500 scale if I remember correctly.

MacDR
09-02-2013, 10:21 AM
I use an RCBS Rangemaster 750. I turn it on about 5 mins before I calibrate which I do before every loading session. During a long loading session I will verify accuracy using the 20 gram weight. Like balance scales the scale must be level and the powder in the center of the pan to get the most accurate measurement. When trickling give the scale a second to stabilize when you are a few 10ths from your desired weight. This is also a good practice for balance scales. Quality electronic scales have good adapters and are tolerant of AC power supply fluctuations. The 750 also will run off a 9 volt battery (use alkaline only). I am satisfied that this scale is accurate and gives consistent measurements of powder, brass and bullet weights. Since I am only a sample of one, others may have different experiences.

Maztech89
09-02-2013, 11:07 AM
I use an RCBS Rangemaster 750. I turn it on about 5 mins before I calibrate which I do before every loading session. During a long loading session I will verify accuracy using the 20 gram weight. Like balance scales the scale must be level and the powder in the center of the pan to get the most accurate measurement. When trickling give the scale a second to stabilize when you are a few 10ths from your desired weight. This is also a good practice for balance scales. Quality electronic scales have good adapters and are tolerant of AC power supply fluctuations. The 750 also will run off a 9 volt battery (use alkaline only). I am satisfied that this scale is accurate and gives consistent measurements of powder, brass and bullet weights. Since I am only a sample of one, others may have different experiences.

I agree with all of the above. I use a range master 750, it is an Ohaus by the way just labeled for RCBS. Let it warm up, calibrate it, and make sure it's level. I only use mine with a 9 volt after having some minor fluctuation with power surges causing a few tents fluctuation. Is there better, yes, but it will be significantly more money.

6mmBR_Shooter
09-02-2013, 11:46 AM
I bought a cheap "smart reloader" brand crack scale that seemed to work well at first. I would spend my money elsewhere though.

Companies like grainger sell small medical type crack scales that are supposed to be very accurate. You don't have to buy a scale that is specific to powder. As long as the scale covers the weight range you are looking for, you would be good to go with a med scale.

stangfish
09-02-2013, 12:11 PM
I used to throw, trickle to a Scott Parker tuned Lyman beam scale. I purchased a RCBS Chargmaster, when checked with my lyman it was always within .05grains from the best I could tell using the analog scale. If it read overcharge it was. I have tried to prove the Chargmaster wrong but can't.

If you read up on digital scales that have a low max weight and high resolution you will learn that bumping the presure sensor to over max weight will destroy accuracy. This can be done with a calibration weight dropped from a 1/4 of an inch. The scale will start to hunt and you no longer will be able to hold calibration. The Chargmaster has a 1500 grain presure sensor and can maintain much better acurracy.

The RCBS harmaster 1500 has served me well. I believe that for all but the most descerning shooters it is worth the money if you can drop the coin. It has a wind shield as well. There are cheat codes available that can speed up the process if you need to as well. Some powders throw more consistent and there are tricks to help with that as well.

n4ue
09-02-2013, 12:30 PM
Gotta agree with stangfish. I have a good quality Ohaus beam scale that I bought decades ago. I use it to check every 10th throw or so from my measure. Last year, I took the plunge and bought the RCBS 1500. Best investment I ever made. Works perfect.
However, like all digital devices, they can round the most or least significant digit. However, since most top BR competitors throw their charges, it's plenty "close enuf fer me"....

ron

psharon97
09-02-2013, 01:46 PM
I have nothing but good things to say about the RCBS ChargeMaster. It does cost a hefty penny, but it is worth it.

eddiesindian
09-02-2013, 04:17 PM
Owned and used several and theyve worked well for me. Im with maztech on this one

robert de
09-02-2013, 08:17 PM
I had an rcbs beam scale that was my dads and it went bad wore a flat spot on the pivot point that's why I bought the digital. I don't know why my dad used the rcbs because I was going through his reloading supplys and found this brand new Ohaus scale I mean this is top line heavy duty with calibration weight and places to store charge pan and a nice plastic cover to keep dust out. This has to be an old scale but its brand new he never used it. I,m sure I can trust this scale probably the same as Ron's. Sounds like the 1500 is the way to go, I'll have to save some pennies. thanks for the advice guys .

Tarleton_Texan
09-02-2013, 09:58 PM
I bought a Hornady electric dispenser/scale combo, it's okay but for the money I spent I could have got a good balance beam scale and quality redding powder dispenser. I should have listened to the old guys but I was to smart to listen.

bythebook
09-02-2013, 10:51 PM
I have a Lyman 1200 DPS II I have been using for about 5 or 6 years. I had to send it back about 2 years ago and they rebuilt it and sent it back to me. I also have a RCBS beam scale and I use it to check every 10 rounds or so . As long as I keep the drafts and floresent lights away from it it does not very at all.

robert de
09-03-2013, 10:32 PM
Florescent lights! Nothing in the manual about those critters my reloading room is full of them that might be my problem.
Still know I would have a hard time trusting it. Think I'll still take it back and trade up for a 1500 Chargemaster and pay close attention to it. I do always put mine up after use. Think I'll recalibrate Each time also.

stangfish
09-03-2013, 10:49 PM
http://accurateshooter.net/Blog/noisefilter01.jpg

WuzYoungOnceToo
09-04-2013, 06:04 AM
do yourself a favor and stick with a quality beam scale.Why?

I'll echo the previous sentiments on the RCBS Chargemaster. It's the best reloading investment I've made.

thomae
09-04-2013, 07:40 AM
There is a PACT scale for sale in the classifieds (not mine).
I have an old Pact digital scale (late 90s?) that still works like a champ.

Nandy
09-04-2013, 10:20 AM
I have a RCBS 750 and I have found it accurate up until it starts wandering. I have had 3 and they all done it. I have tried letting it warm up for an hour up to what I do know which is not ever turn it off. It seems to wander less since I have it on all the time. I got me the RCBS 502 beam scale and I'm very satisfied. While for some powders I have to trickle 3 kernels to see a change in the 750 it only takes one kernel for me to see the beam scale move. Plus my beam scale don't round numbers up/down, is not affected by lights or power fluctuations. Because of that the 502 is my powder scale of preference but I still use the 750 to verify if I setup the 502 correct and I also prefer the 750 for sorting brass/bullets.
good luck!

n4ue
09-04-2013, 01:09 PM
Yep, those ferrite devices are being used in what's referred to as a "common mode choke". Actually, those wall wart transformers are pretty noisy producers of DC Volts.
I haven't had to resort to this and I have a dual 18" florescent lamp about a foot over my 1500. I disconnect the cord where it plugs into the RCBS after each use. I also disconnect the transformer from the AC, since it's still working as long as it's plugged in.
Why all the precautions? I live close to the lightning capitol of the USA. I have several instances where the outside utility line has taken a strike and damaged LOTS of stuff in the house.
Not worth taking a chance... ha ha

ron

robert de
09-04-2013, 09:22 PM
Good information. That's a trick a plumber don't know. That's why I ask. Thanks