PDA

View Full Version : B-Mag Series: .17 WSM - B Mag 'flexiible flyer'....

n4ue
09-01-2013, 10:56 AM
OK, I was having one of those rare days where everything (SO far) I touched was golden. I decided to pull out the B Mag and see what I could do with that horrible foreend side to side movement. I've done some stiffening to a couple of the Axis rifles that are equipped with bipods.

Horrors!! The forend (inside) looks like it could support a Hummer! I found the 'problem'. Here's how to see it:

You do NOT even have to touch the action / stock screws!

(Unload the rifle first!!!) I like to put the gun upside down, with the bbl in a padded vise. All this is in the Manual, btw.

1. remove the clip
2. push the latch and remove the trigger guard

That's it. Now push the very front of the forend side to side. Look at the section of the stock where the magazine goes through. NOT pretty. Push the forend right, the buttstock goes left, etc.
The portion of the stock where the mag passes through is VERY thin. The forend bends it like a parallelogram....... Hard to explain, but very easy to see.
This is why so many folks (including my shooting buddies) say:" what's up with this stock?"

If there was ever a rifle that begs for a replacement stock, this is it!! Are ya listening Boyds????? ha ha

A fix? Dunno. I'll have to think about it. If I had a spare stock, I'd put it in my milling machine and cut some channels then epoxy them in...... Gonna think about this some more.
For now, I'm just going to put some foam spacers in the front of the bbl. Yes, I know all about free floated bbls, but this stock really, really bugs me...!

ron

JG26_Irish
09-01-2013, 05:51 PM
It bugs me too. I think a replacement stock is the answer until Savage offers up some premium models. It is such a nice shooter that I would be willing to spring for a nice tactical stock.

n4ue
09-01-2013, 09:00 PM
Hi Irish.

Well, I 'fixed' it. It is such a Rube Goldberg thing, I'm almost ashamed, (almost). ha ha
Gonna shoot it tomorrow and see if it changes the zero, etc.
Send me a PM if you want the details... Cost? Zero......

ron

JG26_Irish
09-02-2013, 08:04 AM
Yes, PM sent... Irish