PDA

View Full Version : Wish me luck - new build heading to the range - finally!

dcloco
08-31-2013, 06:56 PM
Being selective and picking up the components for this rifle over the last 18 months.

Goal: Light/lighter "hunting" weight rifle in a moderate caliber. Read that - want something that I can pack.

Was not dead set on caliber, but when a McGowen stainless sporter weight in 280 Remington was found on Savage Shooters, I jumped at the chance. Previously purchased a matte black/flat back 110 "tactical" action, so, had the "tacticool" part of this build covered....right? Says "tactical" on the bolt body! LOL!

Found a dull green/gray/black thumbhole stock with vented forearm. Not a huge fan of thumbhole stocks, but the weight, color, and condition were perfect for this build.

A set of Talley lightweight one piece base/ring set found the way to my house last week. (Thank you favorite mail lady) Bedded these to the action yesterday morning and cleaned up the excess today.

Installed an older aftermarket three screw trigger this afternoon - not too light, but crisp.

Loaded 26 rounds with new Remington brass this morning. Used a set of LEE collet dies on the new brass along with the normal brass prep work. Picked up this die set at a gunshow, about a year ago.

Out of the blue, my wife suggested we should go to the range this afternoon. Little did she know what I had been busy doing in the reloading room this morning. :)

So, with a Leupold 12x40 scope, and 26 rounds, we shall be heading to the range shortly. Storms heading our way, but we should be back in town before the dark clouds move in. Will post of some pictures after the range trip.

dcloco
08-31-2013, 11:00 PM
Two of the three bullet flavors shot 2/3 MOA at 300 yards. One flyer on the 175 gr Bear Claws opened up that group. So, two powders, two bullets, and two different primers....

Tried Supreme 780 for the first time while working up loads - so far, impressed.