PDA

View Full Version : What is a Model 12 F-class worth?

Tarleton_Texan
08-31-2013, 06:32 PM
I am having trouble selling my rifle it's a model 12 f-class in 6.5x284 with two piece night force bases, redding dies and 200 pieces of brass, I also had a pacmyer decelerator pad put on it. It shoots lights out , 600 rounds down the barrel and I'm only asking 1100. I have had a tough time selling it had lots of lookers and lots of guys say nice rifle. What's the deal am I to high on price? What do y'all think?

bootsmcguire
08-31-2013, 11:12 PM
I would think you are in the ball park on your price, but what my guess to your lack of takers is this economy where people on average have less money for toys, and that your barrel has a round count of 600. Most people see the 6.5x284 as a barrel burner with 1000 rounds of life as a real tack driver, so if that's the case then they see a rifle with a barrel that is 2/3's gone.

I'm just making an educated guess on that, but reading on here (and elsewhere) on various threads about that round that seems to be the feelings of many shooters, whether they are justified or not. I'll bet that barrel has a lot of life in it, but once someone screams barrel burner that's it, its a burner for life. The 223 WSM has fallen to that fate, and the legendary 220 swift was also a victim to that affect dealt down at the hands of 60's era gun writers.

I say stick to your price, or drop just a tad unless you really need the funds or something. JMHO.

scope eye
09-01-2013, 02:03 AM
I concur with Boots.

Dean

Tarleton_Texan
09-01-2013, 07:31 AM
I didn't think of it that way but I think you nailed it boots. I am only selling it to fund a long range hunting rifle, I might be better of to keep it and put a Manners or McMillan stock and have a dual purpose target/hunting rifle.

JCalhoun
09-02-2013, 06:27 PM
Keep the selling of rifles and equipment limited to the classifieds.

Tarleton_Texan
09-02-2013, 08:43 PM
I'm not trying to sell it here just asking a question.

bootsmcguire
09-02-2013, 09:16 PM
I didn't think of it that way but I think you nailed it boots. I am only selling it to fund a long range hunting rifle, I might be better of to keep it and put a Manners or McMillan stock and have a dual purpose target/hunting rifle.

If you are ok with a single shot hunting rig, and are happy with the 6.5x284 for your hunting purposes then I see that as a great way to maximize your situation. My favorite deer and varmint rigs are all long and heavy barrels so I see your new plan as a good one.

I'm not trying to sell it here just asking a question.
That's the way I took you to mean it.

Keep the selling of rifles and equipment limited to the classifieds.
Respectfully, I read this thread as a question of value, not an intended attempt at sale. By the OP's above response I believe he intended it that way. In the past threads like this have popped up in the Classifieds and been removed because they were questions rather than sale ads. So my question is where should a "How much is this worth?" or "Am I asking to much?" type of thread (like this one) be placed?

Not intending to ruffle any feathers, be disrespectful, or challenge any level of authority. These threads pop up from time to time and it would be go to know which board they should be put on. I only ask because its something newer members may want to know and if I know I can help direct them to the proper area when I see these threads and save you Mods some time. Its all about members helping members around here. Thanks for your time.

Tarleton_Texan
09-02-2013, 09:40 PM
I like the 6.5x284 fast, flat! The rifle would be used for deer, coyotes, p-dogs and whatever completions in between. When the barrel is shot out I will get a 6br and a 284 win just to get a higher bc bullet. Short range I have a model 7 but have no faith in it over300 yards. I think those two barrel combos will make a great comp/hunting rig.

No disrespect was ment to the moderators, just curious because I took it to a few gun shows and called some shooting buddies and got the same response across the board.

Apache
09-02-2013, 10:07 PM
As long as no buying or selling takes place.......no foul.

But these type of threads almost always have someone make that mistake. Most of the time, it's an honest mistake so it's not a real problem......we just have to watch it.

JCalhoun was just giving a friendly reminder that's all.

bootsmcguire
09-02-2013, 11:28 PM
Sounds fine to me Jim. Like I said no disrespect intended, just wanted to know where it should go so I can help out.

And I know what you mean, someone always does seem to jump in and say "I'll take it" in the open forum.

bootsmcguire
09-03-2013, 12:13 AM
Somehow I knew the 'Stang' would show up sooner or later.

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx111/bootsmcguire/ICONS%20and%20Forum%20Stuff/yankyourchain.gif (http://s747.photobucket.com/user/bootsmcguire/media/ICONS%20and%20Forum%20Stuff/yankyourchain.gif.html)

LoneWolf
09-03-2013, 12:37 AM
Every time!

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

stangfish
09-03-2013, 06:44 AM
http://images.politico.com/global/2013/01/08/130108_richard_nixon_ap_328.jpg