PDA

View Full Version : Savage 110 FCP destroying brass. Pics inside.

Jeff_C
08-30-2013, 02:24 PM
I have a Savage 100 FCP with HS precision stock in .300 WM.

The casings pictures are Federal Fusion cases.

These particular casings have been cycled through the action about 30 times to develop a damage pattern.

The action feels very stiff to operate, especially compared to my dad's Browning A bolt. There is almost a grinding noise and feel as the action works over top of the other casings in the magazine. The rounds don't feel as if they are chambering smoothly and the action feels rough.

http://i.imgur.com/ph8Vs2H.jpg

Here you can see the damage. I have realized the marks around the mid section are from the DBM lips scratching the brass. What I am more concerned with the the multiple horizontal slits around the entire casing with no consistency. One in the middle is even visibly cut into the casing.

http://i.imgur.com/qhKe8Rb.jpg

Here is another casing that has a very defined groove almost cut 1/3 of the way down the casing.

http://i.imgur.com/aSf6wFc.jpg

Here is a casing that was single loaded by hand and fired once. Even here you can see the mark 1/4 of the way down the casing.

Questions:
Is this normal for savage? Do they just have rough bolts and rough cycling with ammo?
What is causing these marks? Is there a fix I can do at home?
Has anyone else had similar problems?

Appreciate any insight. Thanks.

stangfish
08-30-2013, 07:25 PM
How many times have you soaked and swabbed the chamber? How many times have you used a chamber brush?

How many times have you cleaned the bolt and the action internals ie...bolt raceway etc...?

There is no comparison between a browning a bolt and a savage loose as a goose bolt. Lexus to Dodge comparrison.

Jeff_C
08-30-2013, 07:29 PM
I keep the internals in good condition but I have never cleaned the chamber or used a bore brush. I don't see how carbon or something could make this damage?

stangfish
08-30-2013, 07:52 PM
Not a bore brush. A Chamber brush. If sand or grit got in the Chamber somehow(like dropping one in the dirt) this could be your problem. It could be worse but lets hope not... Or you could just keep on grinding that cartridge into the grit until you have a more severe issue.

scratcherky
09-01-2013, 03:14 PM
Sounds to me like your chamber is in need of a good cleaning. If the problem persists after cleaning, the chamber may need to be polished some.

pisgah
09-01-2013, 03:27 PM
Grit gets in to the chamber a number of ways, including riding in on cartridges that have been dropped in the dirt or carried in a dirty pocket. Clean the chamber thoroughly and see what happens.

dcloco
09-01-2013, 07:31 PM
Polish the chamber with an appropriate sized shotgun bore mop with "FLITZ" metal polish and a little bit of light oil. Flush with carb cleaner and clean barrel/chamber.

I use a cordless drill at medium speed to polish chambers with.

quarterbore
09-01-2013, 11:59 PM
Polish the chamber with an appropriate sized shotgun bore mop with "FLITZ" metal polish and a little bit of light oil. Flush with carb cleaner and clean barrel/chamber.

I use a cordless drill at medium speed to polish chambers with.
You're talking one of the cotton mops, not a brush correct?

stangfish
09-02-2013, 12:43 AM
appropriate sized shotgun bore mop

You're talking one of the cotton mops, not a brush correct?

Well alrighty then.

eddiesindian
09-04-2013, 12:02 AM
I had a similar concern sometime back on one of my gas guns.
Before I did anything I had a close up look inside the chamber using a high end HD Snap On bore scope (benefits of working at an auto dealership)...sure enuff...
I did as dcloco suggested but I used fine lapping compound. Cleaned any solvents and or abrasives off then polished with jewelers rouge.
My chamber was pretty darn bad to say the least. Looking at it with the neckade eye isnt sufficient...course...if thats all ya got?...then what else can you do a.