PDA

View Full Version : 220F bolt issue

locust
02-12-2010, 10:21 PM
I just bought a 220F, but the bolt won't "seat". It goes in easy, but the handle appears 1/2-3/4" from seating all the way down The 3 stage safety does not go in all 3 position(doesn't go into safe) when in this position.. Been a while since I bought a new bolt action and was really excited about this gun, anybody else have this issue? is this user error? The 4 digits on bolt match last 4 on gun. Depressing cocking lever while pulling back on trigger etc etc. Can't imagine what is happening. Hopefully it is me?? The bolt does cycle fine/easy, handle just doesn't go down all the way. Any help appreciated.

BillPa
02-13-2010, 09:47 AM
Check the front action and the rear front mount screw if you've installed a scope.. Both holes are drilled-taped through into the lug recesses. If they're too long the lug(s) will contact them preventing the bolt from rotating all the way closed.

Bill

locust
02-13-2010, 10:13 AM
Thanks Bill, that was exactly it. I took off the EGW mount last night thinking I would have to return it today to where I bought it and it closed right down when packing it away. Will have to adjust when putting it back on. Thanks much.

trappst
02-13-2010, 10:23 AM
BillPa is da man!!!!!

Locust,

Keep me updated on what your 220 likes ammo wise. I've got a new one sitting in the safe but I'm waiting on funds to become available to purchase some new glass. My little Mossberg 500 20ga prefers the Remington Copper Solid 2 3/4" shells so I'll probably start there. Probably gonna give the new Remington Acuu-tip a try as well.

BillPa
02-13-2010, 12:21 PM
Thanks Bill, that was exactly it. I took off the EGW mount last night thinking I would have to return it today to where I bought it and it closed right down when packing it away. Will have to adjust when putting it back on. Thanks much.

BTW....also check the front mount screw. It may also be too long and bottom out on the barrel threads.

Its not all that unusual for the screw to be a little too long. I made this little screw gage many moons ago to check the lengths.
http://i44.tinypic.com/167rpdz.jpg http://i43.tinypic.com/25soolt.jpg

Its just a quick and dirty way to check the lengths before running the screws in.

Bill