PDA

View Full Version : Loads for 12:1 22-250

Pages : 1 [2]

bootsmcguire
09-04-2013, 03:58 PM
Nandy, I have used both of those with equal success.

Nandy
09-13-2013, 12:01 AM
Going with the rl-17, Winchester brass/primer shooting a 65gr sierra gameking and 64gr nosler bonded. I went to the gunshop last week looking for varget. They had one left in the shelf and the guy told me they had more in the back so I decided to wait for next day since I will get paid and I could get more powder, you guess it, the bottle I had in my hand was the last one and they been out since... So I went with rl17 since it seems it works good behind 60gr + bullets. Will let you guys know tomorrow if I get a chance to shoot.

Thanks for all's help.

stomp442
09-13-2013, 12:56 AM
36 grains R17 and the 65 game king works great. Gives me the same great accuracy as the 69 match king.

Nandy
09-13-2013, 06:18 PM
I seen most accurate loads using rl17 on 65/64 grain around 38 so I started at 36.2 but I was all over paper using sierra gamekings. I did not got to shoot anything else due to time. Priority was cleaning my shooting lines at the lease so I only had chance for one volley... Maybe tomorrow...

scope eye
09-13-2013, 07:30 PM
If they are all over the place, send them faster, I know it's my answer to everything, that's because it works.

Dean

Nandy
09-13-2013, 08:03 PM
Oh, it will be faster, 36.2 is my start load, it goes up to 38.4. Hopefully I will get to do some shooting tomorrow...

scope eye
09-13-2013, 08:08 PM
I will be expecting a full report.LOL

Dean

Nandy
09-16-2013, 05:30 PM
One good news, the rest are not so good...
Good one,
Last week I finally found some .308 Combined Technology STBT in 150gr which has been my go to bullet for my 30-06. It prints beautiful nice clover leafs at 100 yds and if I do my work it will also print at least 2 touching if not more at 200yds. Loaded 7 suckers using the old recipe and shoot one to the lower part of the target make sure the scope was not too off since I did swapped it with the 7mm. Look like it was hitting dead on. So I shot the next 3 and look... What the heck? Now I cant see the first shoot or none of the last 3???? Seems what I was looking on the target after the first shot was a fly... Yes, A fly... Has happen to me before and it would be a funny story but I will save it for another day... since all I have is 3 loads left I set up a target at 50 yds and used my laser to find out that I had moved the scope 7 inches the wrong way (left) in addition of the already 7 inches i moved it left when i used the scope in the 7 mm. so I move the scope 14 inches the right direction and tried to shot my 3 shots left at 100 yds. 1st shot in target, second shot in target touching the first shot, third shot... click... fail to fire.... So it turns out the problems with the FTF is not the cci primers but this action, will follow thru with that trouble on the original thread I had for it.

Anyway, the 2 shots that did went off are pretty much on top of each other so I am good on that sense.

The bads...
1- While trying to load another batch of the .308 CT STBT to triple check the load I stuck the first shell that I tried to decap and neck size on the darn die... I am so used to neck size with the lee collect dies for my other load that I forgot to lube this shell to be used in the RCBS full size die which I had just happen to clean so no lube was left in it... I have the die backed out to just do a neck size and this is a very delicate balance. I stuck that baby in... I tried to get it out and being stupid I bent the decaping rod. I have tried to get it as straight as I can but it is not near perfect. I bet you now all the changes I did to that die about 8 years ago are gone and so will be my load so I ordered more bullets today... RCBS is sending a new decaping unit as this die I have is a bit over 20 years old and has the old style decaping unit.

2- Not all of my Winchester 22-250 loads will chamber properly. Since I am planning to only use reloads on that gun I went and headspace it with the brass i will be reloading. That might be my problem, I probably should have run that brass thru my dies first. I thought maybe it was my coal but I measure it and it is right. I even seated my bullets .01 deeper to see if that was the problem but it was not. I have yet to move my headspace to check if they go in and later on will also check the case length vs the cases that chamber right. I also ordered a go gauge today... funny thing, I loaded 18 rounds on Federal cases and none of those had problems and neither did the factory loads that came in that box...

3- After the problem early on the shooting session I stopped and check for all of the rest of the loads to chamber properly. I had like 2 or 3 sets of loads left that will chamber fine, I shot those and they are all over the place. some of the shots will be completely outside the paper but I shot the Eagle factory loads that i had and they print about an inch so that rules out the equipment. These (both 64 and 65 grain bullets) loads went from the lower spectrum of 36.2 to the 38.3 of rl 17... Maybe this gun does not like that weight. If I recall right the eagle are 55 grain. These were unfired brass, ran once by the lee collect neck size to make sure the neck holes were not messed up in the bags. I used the RCBS Competition Seater die so I will think there is not much of runout.... I guess I will wait until I get that rifle head spaced with the ptg gauge and try again... might get some 50 some grain bullets from the local store just to check how it behaves with that weight. Being a 12:1 barrel I know as a general run I might run into problems with anything heavier than 56 grain.

That is my pain so far... Will try to get it all lined up so I can try these loads. At least the 7mm rm is shooting straight and I have plenty of loads for it. I will not be without a gun for deer season....

stomp442
09-16-2013, 07:17 PM
I chronographed my 69 grain match kings and 35.5 grain R17 load this weekend and came up with an even 3300 fps. I was hoping for a bit more speed but it shoots so well I'm not touching it.

Nandy
09-17-2013, 12:01 AM
Found out the problem I had was some of the necks edges were up to .004 over specs. I did run the brass thru the neck sizing die but did not chamfer it (in or out) just because it was new brass. Never thought this will cause this problem. Anyway, had them down to specs and now they all load right. Seems I did not needed that gauge anyway but since I bought it will keep it and use it later if needed. Will have to build those other loads that I shot. Not sure when will I be able to shoot but hopefully by this weekend.

Stomp, I hope I can get this gun to shoot good too, we shall see...

Nandy
09-20-2013, 04:51 PM
Did some shooting today with the 64 gr nosler bonded. I got 2 to almost touch with the 37.7 load and 2 to touch with the 38gr load. The 38.3 first 2 shots seemed to start to open up but the 3rd shot blew the primer off the primer pocket. It did pushed the extractor to the side but it remained in the bolthead. That was a little odd, seemed more like the primer was loose in the pocket so I tried the next load with was the top load I had of 38.6 and the first shot did blew the primer out of the pocket so I stopped there. It got worse when I open up the bolt and the extractor went flying into the dark grey gravel.... ::face palm:: I do have another bolthead so I can say saved by the bell but I will order some from numrich as midway is out of the trio (extractor/ball/spring), I was able to retrieve the ball and spring from inside the action. Will try to load a few around the 38 and go either .1 or .2 grains up and down and let see..

The 30-06 loads did not print as usual. I am sure since the decaping rod is messed up then add the fact that I did not had written down or mark where the rod was before I moved it that is the reason. I tried the lee neck size and it printed a group around 1 inch so I might just as well start trying to work a load with that die. Im sure the neck tension change is what is making the change. I will tweak the load a bit to see. Might even be able to shoot that tomorrow....

Pictures later...

robert de
09-20-2013, 11:09 PM
So I finally put the 22-250 together. It lives in a 11 action and this is a take off varmint barrel. I will be using this barrel for deer hunting and strictly neck shots so I am shooting under 200 yds. I would like to shoot something between 50 to 60some grains. Next year I will get a 8 or 9 twist to shoot the heavier bullets which will allow me to take other type shots than neck shots at further away than 200 yds.
So what are your loads?

Secondly, How bad do the bullets in the 80's and 90"s group at 200 yds? if we are talking 2 inches or less then I might try those as well.

Thanks!

PS - Yes, I know every rifle is not the same but I have found that this research does save me time and money compared to when I would just pick a bullet and powder and start testing... Nandy I have neck shot alot of mule deer with sierra 52 gr match king hpbt with 38gr. of h-414 also same bullet but 33gr. of imr4895 fed 210 primer never had one get back up. I don't think you need heavy bullets for neck shots but accurate explosive bullets will work fine for shooting deer the way you said you will be shooting them. Sight-picture and good trigger squeeze good hunting.

Jetpig
09-23-2013, 08:16 AM
Look into the Sierra 65g SBT. Your 12 twist will handle it with no problem.....use Sierra's 63g bullet loading data. The 65g bullet is a heavier construction and will hold together better than most .22 cal bullets.

This.. Push them fast enough and the 12 twist should do fine. May not be the most accurate you could do.

Nandy
01-03-2014, 09:22 PM
Deer season is over. I am glad to have one confirm kill with this gun. I end up using the Nosler Bonded 64 with 37.6 grains of RL-17 pushing this bullet at 3466fps. Was the only deer that was willing to show up while I was hunting with it in thick cover. Shot was about 75 yds in the neck. Drop right on it's track.

Next step for this gun is a new barrel in either 8 or 9 twist, threaded, varmint profile to shoot the heavier bullets. Once I have that set up I will make my decision on whether or not I will keep this current barrel. I also have bought about 4 pounds of Varget which I will try too.

Thanks everyone for their input. I really like this gun, I wish we had more varmint to shoot around here...