PDA

View Full Version : 17 hornet ammo by accedent

robert de
08-25-2013, 10:11 PM
My daughter was going to Reno so I heard they had 17 hmr ammo 4 box limit per person. I called and ask her if she got them she said she did. When I went to pick them up from her found out they were 17 hornet ammo not hmr. Boy did I luck out I have been trying to find some for 2 months now. Told her thanks for the nice mistake.:p

n4ue
08-26-2013, 08:46 PM
Hi. Did you mean .17 WSM (Winchester Super Mag)? .17 HMR is the .22 Mag necked down. The local Gander Mtn has many, many thousands of HMR forever.
Out on the sales floor, takes up the whole top shelf 10' long, 4 boxes high, 2 deep!!!

ron

robert de
08-26-2013, 09:37 PM
No Ron, at Fallon Nevada none on the selves been that way for 6 months or more Scheels in Reno has 4 Box limit when they get some in not sure about Cabelas in Reno. There also has only been a little 22 long rifle come in bought some in Fallon last week would only let me have 2 boxes. I know it can get confusing with all new kinds of 17 out there but I do know the difference I have 17 Remington 17 Ackley,17 hmr 17 hornet and 17 fireball. I do not have the 17 wsm which I think was built from the 27 cal stud gun for construction and I do not have the 17 built on the long rifle case. Out west here where I am at anything to do with ammo is minimal to none at all. NO one out here knows why either. I talk to a friend yesterday and he has WSM he says some are splitting at neck and shoulder area I don't need that gun anyway. I bought the hornet because I was tried of making 17 Ackley cases. I got to admit the 17 Hornet out shoots them. Group wise anyway. When I talk to the store owners they said they could sell more guns if they could supply them with ammo.

n4ue
08-30-2013, 07:01 PM
Hi. I wasn't questioning your caliber knowledge at all. Yep, the .17 based on the .22 lr is called the HM2 (I think! ha ha) I don't have a gun in this ctg, and probably never will. I can't see how it's going to last. However, I have been wrong MANY, many time before!!!

I only have the .17 HMR and the .17 Hornady Hornet. I have 5 guns in HMR and only one (rifle) in the .17 HH.

I have seen a few remarks (and a photo) about the .17 WSM (yep, based on the .27 nail gun ctg) with split cases. I also read a magazine article about the WSM a few months ago. The Win spokesman stated that they were loading it 'conservatively' and hinted at both a .22 and .25 version.
Ammo has been hit and miss here in the SE. I meed to get more 20 gr, since I have enough 25 gr for a while.

One thing I noticed concerning the HMR, the cases come out of my guns with the shoulder area 'ironed out'. In other words, the nice sharp, necked down area is pretty blown out. No split necks, just wondering what the chambers look like and surprised they shoot so darned good.
Oh well, that's the rimfire world.....

ron

robert de
08-31-2013, 04:10 AM
Hello Ron, hope your getting some shooting done. I know what your talking about with the hmr case I was thinking it might be that there is not enough pressure to completely form the case to the chamber just a guess but they still shoot good. A friend of mine has a Ruger all that he had done to it is a good trigger and barrel crown but it shoots 1inch groups more often than not at 200yds. Most I have seen shoot moa. if the winds not a problem. Those hmrs sure work good on these JackRabbits out here. I am a little concerned about the head space on my model 25 17hh. I can see the ring that Plinkin wrote about on his Thread I don't have a neck die yet but I backed my full length off so I am not working so much bass. The brass will not last if there is too much head space something I will have to keep an eye on. I don't understand the shortage of ammo out here or the reloading components but it sure has slowed my shooting down the price is also an issue but I'm not giving up yet just love to shoot to much, takes the stress away you know.