PDA

View Full Version : What makes a gun "tactical"?

mattri
08-24-2013, 05:58 PM
Or anything else for that matter? Without using the word "tactics" how do you define something as "tactical"?

JCalhoun
08-24-2013, 06:00 PM
It's a name that makes people want to buy it like putting National Match or Benchrest on something makes it much better.

fgw_in_fla
08-24-2013, 06:27 PM
A wise old man once said - Tactical is a mindset, not an equipment list.

Sorry. Just had to throw that out there...

stangfish
08-24-2013, 06:44 PM
A wise old man once said - Tactical is a mindset, not an equipment list.

...with a specific task at hand. but these days it is a marketing tool as JC said.

yorketransport
08-24-2013, 07:00 PM
Or anything else for that matter? Without using the word "tactics" how do you define something as "tactical"?

A little black spray paint, and a flashlight duct taped to the stock.

Andrew

gpb11
08-24-2013, 07:41 PM
What makes a gun "tactical"?

The companies marketing department.

mattri
08-24-2013, 07:45 PM
LOL great replies thanks.

I'm not just trying to stir the pot here, its an honest question.

You see so many thing marketed as "tactical" anymore, from pens to sunglasses to rifle stocks etc.

For those that buy this stuff- what does it mean?

Nor Cal Mikie
08-24-2013, 07:54 PM
If you've ever shot a Zombie with it, you've got a Zombie killer. Same with ammo. Worth more $$!

rattfink
08-24-2013, 08:08 PM
I actually like that people ask this question. Here's my take:

1. It fits the situation/ mission.
2. Is conducive to low observability.
3. It is rugged enough to be used harshly in austere conditions.

No doubt to many it means it fits a certain fashion sense based on military or police hardware. But the bottom line, if it wasn't first practical and effective, no soldier would choose to carry it.

mattri
08-24-2013, 09:09 PM
So "tactical" means a hunting rifle?

rattfink
08-24-2013, 09:15 PM
So "tactical" means a hunting rifle?

Um. I wouldn't say that at all. Not many hunters want to carry an 11 pound rifle in green synthetic stock with a very bulky fore end over hill and over dale.

And no sniper wants a 6 pound rifle sat in exhibition walnut topped with a scope that has no adjustable turrets and a barrel that will overheat shooting round after round.

Those are two extremes but there is a distinct difference in the demands of hunting pursuits and tactical pursuits.

mattri
08-25-2013, 07:56 AM

Sounds like my Marlin model 60. Fits the "missions" I use it for perfectly, no squirrel has ever been scared off by the sight of it and is absolutely rugged enough for use in harsh conditions.

Texas Solo
08-25-2013, 09:16 AM
I actually like that people ask this question. Here's my take:

That explains "tactical" underwear perfectly.

http://tacticalgear.com/undergarments

Stockrex
08-25-2013, 09:26 AM
if it has a place to hang/store tampons!

rattfink
08-25-2013, 10:11 AM
That explains "tactical" underwear perfectly.

http://tacticalgear.com/undergarments

Lol..austere conditions sounds like a rather grim assessment.

handirifle
08-25-2013, 11:36 AM
For us certain items are labeled "tactical" as mentioned, for marketing. For a soldier, everything he/she uses HAS to be tactical. Their lives depend on it, ours do not. At least not yet, and that's where the armchair soldiers start stocking up on "tactical" gear.

mattri
08-25-2013, 08:54 PM
Excellent! So as long as something says "tactical" on it- then its good for warfare!

So the squirrel rifles that the Green Mountain Boys used were "tactical" weapons- just like my Marlin Model 60.

So if push comes to shove and I'm defending my home in a pair of Hanes briefs then they automatically become "tactical' underware?

If I'm a militia member using a Presentation quality Cooper in 25-06 to defend my community than does that light-weight "safe-queen" all of a sudden become "tactical" when it wasn't before?

Mach2
08-25-2013, 09:58 PM
Anything black is tactical. If you spray paint a baby stroller black you get a tactical baby stroller.

kingzero
08-25-2013, 10:14 PM
Whatever the gun is, it's not tactical unless you show up at the range in your Mazda Miata wearing your Molle vest with 6 (empty) 30rd Pmags and blow through 60 rounds (7th & 8th Pmags) as fast as you can at a torso target set at 25 yards and then walk out (with your target) like billy bad ass while I scoop up your brass.

SlimySquirrel
08-26-2013, 03:02 AM
Anything black is tactical. If you spray paint a baby stroller black you get a tactical baby stroller.

Hahahaha.... dang, I shoulda got my Spray Paint out when the kids were younger!