PDA

View Full Version : Model 25: .17 Hornet Off to Factory

Pages : 1 [2]

robert de
09-20-2013, 09:19 PM
What are you trimming the 1ST fired brass to? Are we talking .17 Hornet.....
My trim is 1.340 to 1.350, COL 1.714 with a 20 gr V-Max Yes the 17 hornet sorry about miss info. started out 1.350 after first fired round measured 1.45 second reload went to 1.48 to 1.50 I just think this is a lot of case growth. I think I'll trim back to 1.35 and reload again. I'm using 9.8gr lil gun with good groups this load started at 9.3 and work up groups got better as I took them up at 9.8 I am starting to flatten the primer so this is max for me. I have not speed check my reloads yet, but the factory loads clock about 3700 with my chronoghraph.Sometimes I have feed problems but most the time common failure is extracting extractor lets go of shell about half way out the barrel This is going to be a good gun for a lot of the shooting I do if I can get the bugs worked out. thanks for your reply.

JLShipley
09-21-2013, 10:20 AM
Yes the 17 hornet sorry about miss info. started out 1.350 after first fired round measured 1.45 second reload went to 1.48 to 1.50 I just think this is a lot of case growth. I think I'll trim back to 1.35 and reload again. I'm using 9.8gr lil gun with good groups this load started at 9.3 and work up groups got better as I took them up at 9.8 I am starting to flatten the primer so this is max for me. I have not speed check my reloads yet, but the factory loads clock about 3700 with my chronoghraph.Sometimes I have feed problems but most the time common failure is extracting extractor lets go of shell about half way out the barrel This is going to be a good gun for a lot of the shooting I do if I can get the bugs worked out. thanks for your reply.

I would de-prim, clean & size them, trim them to 1.34, at least under 1.35. Then try annealing 25 rounds, then reload and set at Hornady spec's C.O.L for the Bullet type, your using it seem to much powder, cut back to 9.5, that most likely the reason your getting such case growth.
I've never had that much case growth, maybe after 1 ST fire, 1.37+ then trim to 1.34, I always trim my 1st case reload to low Case length number, after that just keep it under 1.35, normally only have a some that I need to re trim, most of my 3 RD reloads were in spec's.
Your case feed problem might be you C.O.L., what is your total case/bullet length COL after reloading?

robert de
09-21-2013, 06:08 PM
I would de-prim, clean & size them, trim them to 1.34, at least under 1.35. Then try annealing 25 rounds, then reload and set at Hornady spec's C.O.L for the Bullet type, your using it seem to much powder, cut back to 9.5, that most likely the reason your getting such case growth.
I've never had that much case growth, maybe after 1 ST fire, 1.37+ then trim to 1.34, I always trim my 1st case reload to low Case length number, after that just keep it under 1.35, normally only have a some that I need to re trim, most of my 3 RD reloads were in spec's.
Your case feed problem might be you C.O.L., what is your total case/bullet length COL after reloading? With factory round case is 1.35 after this first fire case grows to 1.44. or 1.45 this alone seems too much its like the chamber is to long the case is stretching just above the rim. On my three reloads I started first round 9.1lilgun second 9.5. last load was 9.8 I don't have any loaded right now but I have some once fired factory that I will work on and give your advice a try but I don't think 9.8 is too stout hodgdon says 10 gr lilgun max but i'll go back to 9.5 and see. I have what is called a 17 cut. That is almost identical to the 17 hornet. And I don't get this excessive growth in this gun. My overall loaded length is 1.715

robert de
09-21-2013, 09:03 PM
With factory round case is 1.35 after this first fire case grows to 1.44. or 1.45 this alone seems too much its like the chamber is to long the case is stretching just above the rim. On my three reloads I started first round 9.1lilgun second 9.5. last load was 9.8 I don't have any loaded right now but I have some once fired factory that I will work on and give your advice a try but I don't think 9.8 is too stout hodgdon says 10 gr lilgun max but i'll go back to 9.5 and see. I have what is called a 17 cut. That is almost identical to the 17 hornet. And I don't get this excessive growth in this gun. My overall loaded length is 1.715
http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x374/robert402/006.jpg (http://s1178.photobucket.com/user/robert402/media/006.jpg.html)This is the steps for my 17 cut.

JLShipley
09-21-2013, 10:42 PM
I Know, they seem to be about 1.35, had some from factory 1.338 to 1.35, I'm just going off Hornady Re-Load Book for the .17 Hornet, shows case length 1.34 to 1.35, I trim them short, 1ST reload, they don.t seem to grow as much,.
like your 17 cut.......COL is right in there, but if your re loading with a longer case than let say 1.35, bullet might be in further, which might bring up pressure? just a thought, might be off base on this one, but it seems I heard this before.
Keep it safe, I'll let you know how replacement gun is, once I get it.:applause:

robert de
09-22-2013, 12:07 AM
I Know, they seem to be about 1.35, had some from factory 1.338 to 1.35, I'm just going off Hornady Re-Load Book for the .17 Hornet, shows case length 1.34 to 1.35, I trim them short, 1ST reload, they don.t seem to grow as much,.
like your 17 cut.......COL is right in there, but if your re loading with a longer case than let say 1.35, bullet might be in further, which might bring up pressure? just a thought, might be off base on this one, but it seems I heard this before.
Keep it safe, I'll let you know how replacement gun is, once I get it.:applause:Your right Jim I back my new loads off to 9.6 in these small cases .1gr. can be a lot when close to top end better safe than sorry. My daughters deer season is about to start so we will be working with her 7.08 for awhile now.

JLShipley
10-09-2013, 12:01 PM
Savage Arms:usa2:, came through, new Model 25 .17 Hornet, gun just arrived at Gunsmith. Mounting scope and taking it to range, as soon as I can and check it out. Will advise on how it shoots, chambers, and extracts cases.
SAVAGE:first:

DO TO CALIFORNIA LAW, EVEN THOUGH GUN WAS A REPLACEMENT FOR A GUN BOUGHT IN CA . HAVE ANOTHER 10 DAY WAITING PERIOD..:confused::mad:

wlleven
10-25-2013, 05:38 PM
Savage Arms:usa2:, came through, new Model 25 .17 Hornet, gun just arrived at Gunsmith. Mounting scope and taking it to range, as soon as I can and check it out. Will advise on how it shoots, chambers, and extracts cases.
SAVAGE:first:

DO TO CALIFORNIA LAW, EVEN THOUGH GUN WAS A REPLACEMENT FOR A GUN BOUGHT IN CA . HAVE ANOTHER 10 DAY WAITING PERIOD..:confused::mad:

When I was a kid I use to live in the great state of California, some 60 years later I live in Kalifornia !!!

I think you get my drift !

wll

Dispatch1
10-26-2013, 07:16 AM
JL, just wondering how long it took Savage to send you a replacement. I was told I was also getting a replacement rifle and about a month later still waiting for notification of it being sent to my local range(FFL transfer) for pick up. I have called them about three times to follow up and told it takes some time for paperwork at their end. Also, I noticed that my 25 had been made at Ontario, Canada plant and was thinking if maybe that had something to do with bolt/headspace issues.

JLShipley
10-26-2013, 11:38 AM
It took a little over 6 weeks , for turn around plus the 10 day waiting period, and you know I'll have to check and see were my 25 was made?

Dispatch1
10-28-2013, 06:03 PM
On the other hand, my MarkII BTVS was made in Ontario and I think it is hands down one of the best and most accurate 22lr out there for the money.

GaCop
11-27-2013, 10:55 AM
I've been thinking about getting a model 25 but, since reading about all the problems, I'm beginning to wonder...........