PDA

View Full Version : factory 2nd stock ?

sims5
02-12-2010, 02:38 PM
Looking at a factory second stock for my Savage and the quote below is how the seller describes the stock. Do you think the excess wood could be removed easily by sanding or is this not going to be an easy fix?

"This stock is a factory second due to proud metal at the floor plate, meaning the metal will sit a slight bit above the stock and this will not affect the use of the gun. This stock is inlet for a heavy barrel.

This is a virtual inlet part as it needs some sanding/fitting and complete finishing for us"

Tightgroups
02-12-2010, 03:02 PM
It will be some work, the mag metal recess is normally done by a router or CNC machine, and you will have to leave the mag bottom metal sticking out some. or chisel the recess out. Plus there's some in letting to get the action and barrel to fit. So it could be a lot of sanding, finishing etc.
It would depend on how much it costs you, you didn't say, and if your up to doing the work.
Mike.

sims5
02-12-2010, 03:15 PM
Here is another stock. Sounds like this one might be a little easier to get to work. Dowell rod and some paper to open the barrel channel up. The price on both is $40

"This stock is a second due to the barrel channel being inlet a bit shallow. The stock surface is rough having only some sanding.

This stock is inlet for a heavy barrel.

This stock is inlet for the accutrigger action, the non-accutrigger action will not fit this stock"

hotbrass
02-12-2010, 03:26 PM
Those sound like very easy fixes. Most all stocks need some fitting work, some more than others.

It has been my experience with seconds that they are not easy fixes, otherwise they wouldnt be seconds.

You didnt mention the company, but always, buyer beware. Be prepared for the worst so you will be delighted when it all comes together.

Good luck!

sims5
02-12-2010, 04:50 PM
They are both Boyds thumbhole stocks

hotbrass
02-12-2010, 06:39 PM
Bingo!

At $40 a shot it might be worth it.

Get power tools!

slurpin dog
02-12-2010, 11:29 PM
Be sure to check the screw spacing on your action with what they are selling. i.e. 4.275" or 4.40".

Smokey262
02-13-2010, 12:10 AM
If you have limited experience with this sort of work I would caution you to use hand tools instead of power tools. Oh sh*t happens fast with power tools