PDA

View Full Version : LH bolt in a RH action

rfrizz
08-24-2013, 02:19 AM
I have an unusual request. Would anyone with a left handed axis be able to post a few detailed pictures of their bolt assembly? Or if there was someone with an immediate explanation for me no pictures would be needed.

I was wondering if savage bolts are exactly the same to cut costs at the factory, just a different bolt face for different actions. Or- are the bolts a mirror image of each other and indeed specific for the handed-ness.

I'm left handed with a right handed axis and I would love to just be able to slip in a new left handed bolt (and head space) and call it a day.

Anybody out there have good news for me?

stangfish
08-24-2013, 07:40 AM
ejection might be an issue due to location of the port.

rfrizz
08-24-2013, 01:36 PM
You're right, I would hope that I can put a RH bolt face on a LH bolt assembly to solve that problem. In my mind this would be like the dual port target/varmint actions.

J.Baker
08-24-2013, 04:26 PM
So what exactly are you trying to achieve? Left-hand bolt with right port and right eject from a RH action?

The bolt handle, bolt body and bolt head are LH and RH specific the same as they are on 110's. The bolt handle is obvious, and on the bolt head the extractor/ejector flips sides depending on whether it's LH or RH. In regards to the bolt body, it's the cocking ramp that makes it specific as the bolt needs to rotate one direction for a RH and the opposite direction for a LH.

rfrizz
08-24-2013, 04:47 PM
I bought the rifle before LH models were available and was hoping for a quick solution. Thanks for the explanation Mr. Furious.