PDA

View Full Version : 17 hornet reloads

robert de
08-24-2013, 12:46 AM
Finally got a set of dies,rcbs. The only dies I could get right away full and seat die. bought some hornady 20gr. pills
lil gun powder 400 pri. Found that the neck tension does not hold the bullet tight enough I can push the bullet back into the shell with light pushing with thumb and fore finger. I went to try a light crimp and found that the shell holder hits bottom of the die before it gets to the point to crimping. Has any one else had the same problems?

darkker
08-24-2013, 12:22 PM
Improperly adjusted dies

robert de
08-24-2013, 01:54 PM
I am trying to adjust die but it will not adjust any more before it bottoms out with shell holder.

n4ue
08-24-2013, 03:29 PM
Robert, I reload several .17s, including the Hornet. Never had a problem. Suggest a call to RCBS Customer Service. They will walk you through the setup and if it doesn't work, I'm SURE they will replace the sizing die. My .17 HH dies are also RCBS.
However, as Darkker suggested, you might have the dies mis-adjusted. Make sure the decapping rod is not bottoming out in the case. Remove it (for grins) and see what happens. Could be an oversized / wrong expander ball. Hey, nobody's perfect.

Let us know how you make out.

BTW, sure wish I could find some Lil Gun!!! Seems to the THE powder in the .17 HH....

ron

robert de
08-24-2013, 06:44 PM
Robert, I reload several .17s, including the Hornet. Never had a problem. Suggest a call to RCBS Customer Service. They will walk you through the setup and if it doesn't work, I'm SURE they will replace the sizing die. My .17 HH dies are also RCBS.
However, as Darkker suggested, you might have the dies mis-adjusted. Make sure the decapping rod is not bottoming out in the case. Remove it (for grins) and see what happens. Could be an oversized / wrong expander ball. Hey, nobody's perfect.

BTW, sure wish I could find some Lil Gun!!! Seems to the THE powder in the .17 HH....

ron I lucked out on the powder a few weeks ago the gun store got 5 lbs in. Nobody here new about this powder so it sat there a week till I walked in I bought 4 cans went back 1 hour later to buy other can it was gone. Store clerk told her husband he got it. About die I will let you know right now I'm using my 17 Ackley seat die it crimps fine. I have three other 17 center fires I have no problems with them either but I made cases from 22 hornet brass so necks are thicker and have more spring back. I know rcbs will work with me on this. I just need to find more cases, all I have been able to find is 100rds in the last month. 9.6grs lil gun just under 1 inch group about 100 feet per sec.slower than factory. Factory is grouping 5shots .5inch 3 shots bug hole they have their load figured out. I going to try bumping my speed up a little till pressure signs stop me.

robert de
08-25-2013, 10:33 PM

ron Ron took your advice pulled decaping pin out mic it at .171 bulluts mic 172 also took seating plunger out of seat die put shell case in holder and started threading it down I threaded it all the way down to shell holder and it never did touch neck Still having fun though this is how we learn. Take nothing for granted Thanks Ron for your help and your respect.

n4ue
08-26-2013, 02:30 PM
Robert D. Glad I could help. It's always the simple stuff that gets me. I tend to overthink/analyze everything. Just the Engineer in me, I guess.
BTW, I have close to every mfg's dies. Recently, I have purchased a couple of the Hornady "New Dimension" dies for the small calibers. When you have fat fingers like I do, the 'drop down seater' sure makes it a LOT easier to start the little .17s. Love my .17 Hornet.
Recently, been having a good time with my rechambered Axis. Took a 223 and rechambered it to 221 Fireball. Why? Why not? ha ha
Ever tried any hBN on your bbl/boolits?

be safe!

ron