PDA

View Full Version : Rimfire Savage model 1903 question

tedbutler
08-23-2013, 01:25 AM
I'm new to the forum but have been looking over post for sometime and in particular the post on the model 1903.
I hope someone can answer my question. I have a very nice model 1903 that appears to be completely original. The serial number is 139xxx and it is marked on the barrel with the Dec. 26, 1906 patent and 22s, l, and lr. It has the metal butt plate with the Savage logo showing very well. My question relates to barrel length. Most I've seen on the internet gun sites have a 24" octagon barrel. Mine has a 26" octagon barrel. Does anyone know how many 26" barrels were made? By the way I've measured it several times and it's definitely a full 26". Thanks for any help.

thomae
08-23-2013, 09:33 AM
Welcome. I think you will like this forum. Lots of helpful folks are here willing to help you out.
Please take a minute to familiarize yourself with the standing rules of the forum. Most of them are here:
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?24732-User-Agreement

I can't help you with your questions about the 1903, but there are others on the site who may know the answer or at least know where you can go to find the answer.

For what it's worth, many of the questions you may have (either now or in the future) may already have been answered, so please try searching for answers. If you don't find what you need, please don't hesitate to ask in the appropriate section of the forum.
In general, you usually aren't the first person to not know something or to have a specific issue. We've all been there at one time or another and are happy to help you learn from OUR mistakes instead of making your own.

- By the way, we also look forward to learning from YOUR experiences.

Again, welcome.

Sav22
08-23-2013, 09:51 PM
Savage offered barrels up to 30" @ $1 per inch over standard and I have never seen one that is an odd number length - your gun would have cost $2.00 more. I have seen some 30" and a 28" but yours is the first 26".

Here are a 30", 28", & standard 24" -
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa105/GeneBB/Savage%20pumps/1903slongbarrel002.jpgI have been joking that I need to find a 26" to add so that my picture would look more even on the right side. I am actually going to look now that I know they exsist. This also show three different stock variation, look at the size & location of the 'knob', the stock on your gun should match the one in the center.

tedbutler
08-23-2013, 10:55 PM
I had never seen a 26" model 1903 until I found this one.

JCalhoun
08-24-2013, 06:48 PM
Is it possible somebody shortened the barrel?

tedbutler
08-24-2013, 11:43 PM
Is it possible somebody shortened the barrel?
No the standard model was 24" and mine is 26". Sav22 posted that the 1903 came in 24" to 30".
Thanks for reply.