PDA

View Full Version : New Savage 11 budget build help and journal

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

SlimySquirrel
09-25-2013, 02:01 AM
Haha... good work mate!

Thats the way, practice on the "El cheapo" first!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyPQF-64-sA&feature=c4-overview&list=UUQ3UtxnxSjYVpyKuN3HMIcQ

Have a look at that video. Nathan has a few more vids on how to do the whole process.

MAKE SURE YOU USE A RELEASE AGENT!!!

Good luck

wilkup
09-25-2013, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the link! That video was awesome and so extremely informative!

I decided to go for it on the hollow portion of the stock using bondo fiberglass resin. We'll see how it turns out ;) If it works I'll be happy but if not, no worries at this point. I've got a couple more hours before it's setup and fully cured. Excited to see how it turns out!

SlimySquirrel
09-25-2013, 06:28 PM
Sweet, swEET!

I have a stock that's nasty flexible too but I think a Boyds classic or featherweight is gonna win the battle

jhelmuth
09-25-2013, 07:00 PM
Just an opinion on the optics...

Find something used that works for you (budget). There are LOTS of those cheapo scopes out there for sale (as those fellas figured it out). At least that way you won't get hit so hard when you end up figuring out that optics are just not cheap and you decide to finally bite-the-bullet and cry once...

wilkup
09-25-2013, 07:21 PM
Just an opinion on the optics...

Find something used that works for you (budget). There are LOTS of those cheapo scopes out there for sale (as those fellas figured it out). At least that way you won't get hit so hard when you end up figuring out that optics are just not cheap and you decide to finally bite-the-bullet and cry once...

I received the Weaver, wasn't happy with it and returned it for the new Nikon Prostaff 5. After reading through reviews I got the impression it's not a cheapo scope though...

wilkup
09-25-2013, 08:01 PM
The glass has cured and I'm LOVING the difference it's made in rigidity! As an added bonus, the balance is perfect with the added weight in the stock to help even out the heavy barrel up front!

At the beginning of the build I was shooting for a rifle that would be at or very close to 10 pounds and right now it's just under 9; 8.4 lbs. I think after getting the scope mounted and glassing/bedding the action I should be right around 10 lbs when I head out for the season! It feels good to have made a gamble and have it pay off far better than planned =)

SlimySquirrel
09-26-2013, 03:24 AM
The Nikon is a Nice scope mate.

Real good glass and hard to beat with nice features for the cash. You'l have that scope for a while I reckon, probably could even become a bit of a measuring tool... I use a Pro Staff 4-12X40 as my "Go to" if a rifle has POI shift since I know it's solid and you can see holes at 100 yds easily.

I reckon the Nikon range has a scope match for most of the Savage factory rifles... Seem a good match really, well priced, decent optics and reliable.

I have just upgraded to a Sightron SIII for Long Range stuff but happily shot out to 600 yds with my Nikon Monarchs and Pro Staffs..
A Pro Staff 3-9X50 is waiting to sit on a Deer Rifle.... Just need to find a decent donor!

Time to post a picture mate when it comes together!!