PDA

View Full Version : New Savage 11 budget build help and journal

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

BoilerUP
09-05-2013, 04:23 PM
http://www.gunshack.com/barrels?product_id=297

If you really want a fluted barrel, you've going to have to 1. wait for it from the manufacturer, or 2. send it off to be fluted by a competent smith which is going to add $$$.

wilkup
09-05-2013, 06:20 PM
Any advice on stocks...?

Hogue Overmolded Pillar Bedded/Fully Bedded
Cost: $99/$190

VERSES

Boyds Prairie Hunter Laminate
Cost: $97 +tax/shipping

Looking for something that will be easy, effective and inexpensive to get me through hunting season and the months of waiting on a custom stock that's better than the factory Savage stock it came with.

stomp442
09-05-2013, 07:55 PM
I really like the Boyds stocks. They are nicely made and great quality for the money. I've never tried the hogue they are just not my style.

wilkup
09-09-2013, 12:53 AM
Anybody have information on the Hogue stocks? There's got to be at least 1 person who's used one...

Is there a way to bed the Boyds stocks without spending LOADS of money or having a smith do it...?

rdamours
09-09-2013, 01:04 AM
My Boyds was a drop in fit. If you are going to have the Boyd's bedded I thing it's just the receiver as the barrel is free floating. I was originally looking at a Hogue fully bedded as well. The overmoulding tends to grab when shooting off of sand bags, etc but is pretty tough and stable. I bought one for my 10/22 a while back so I decided on a different look and the laminates are pretty stable as well.

I'd like a swfa 10x ss scope but can't get them in Canada. My 10FP has a Nikon Monarch on it as has excellent light transmission and 1/8 moa adjustments and has been great with the fine cross hairs. Still looking for a swfa for throwing some long bombs out there.

Any advice on stocks...?

Hogue Overmolded Pillar Bedded/Fully Bedded
Cost: $99/$190

VERSES

Boyds Prairie Hunter Laminate
Cost: $97 +tax/shipping

Looking for something that will be easy, effective and inexpensive to get me through hunting season and the months of waiting on a custom stock that's better than the factory Savage stock it came with.

wilkup
09-09-2013, 02:34 PM
Any other stocks I should be aware of in this price range that will fill my needs?

I'm going to be mounting a 26'' fluted varmint barrel and want it to look "right". Will the Boyds need a considerable amount of work to fit this barrel and make an accurate hunting rifle?

Does the Hogue snag on things because of the rubber-like coating?
Would you say the Hogue is heavier, lighter or of a negligible weight difference?

Thanks for ALL the advice and help so far! Will be posting pics of the new rifle soon!

stomp442
09-09-2013, 02:44 PM
You should be able to get a Boyds with a varmint contour channel that will require little if any fitting. If not opening the barrel channel is a piece of cake.

FW Conch
09-09-2013, 02:59 PM
I have a Boyd's Thumbhole Varmint and a Stocky's Thumbhole Varmint with Heavy Varmint Barrels, and they were both "drop in's". :)

wilkup
09-09-2013, 03:35 PM
I'll call Boyds today and find out if they'll cut a varmint contour channel in the Prairie Hunter, I'm not a fan of the thumbhole stocks and really prefer the classic look of the laminate over the rubber Hogue.

I'm getting all the metal parts, mag box/parts Cerakoted Graphite Black when they barrel, lug and nut arrive =) I want all the parts to look good/ match!

Should be getting the scope in the next week I think! It's all starting to come to a head and then it'll just be a waiting game on parts/paint.

wilkup
09-09-2013, 04:49 PM
The Prairie Hunter does NOT come with a varmint contour channel option, at least not for my model (Short Action, DBM, new triggerguard bolt release).

How complicated is it to open up the barrel channel? Could someone possibly provide me with a link on a "How to..." video...?

In other news, the 1 piece scope base has tightened up the action considerably and smoothed it out a bit =) That was unexpected and made me pretty happy!

wilkup
09-09-2013, 05:51 PM
Just ordered the Hogue after talking to a customer service rep and finding my rifle's action won't be a problem with their stocks. I got the pillar bedded stock and will plan on glassing it myself.

I also ordered the barrel from Jim, at NSS, along with the necessary tools to get the new barrel mounted up and a new lug and nut!

Should have ALL this stuff by next Monday and will be shipping it out for the Cerakoting at that piont =) When it gets back to me I'll glass in the stock, mount the scope and take it out for some range time and a photo shoot!!! STOKED IT'S COMING TOGETHER!!!

stomp442
09-09-2013, 05:56 PM
The quick and easy way is with one of these.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/stock-work-finishing/stock-making-hand-tools/barrel-channel-cutting-tools/barrel-bedding-tool-prod6796.aspx

The other way is to add a couple layers of clear packing tape to your barrel and use sand paper in a back and forth motion along the barrel. Takes some time but its pretty easy.

wilkup
09-13-2013, 12:05 AM
After being blindsided with my scope no longer being in stock, even though I was told it was I had to find something else. I went with a Weaver Kaspa Tactical.

Now if only the stock and all the other toys would arrive so I can take this bad boy out to the range and see how everything comes together for me =) Pics to come soon!

SlimySquirrel
09-15-2013, 11:24 AM
Sounds like its coming together pal.. Interesting choice on the Hogue.. I personally prefer the Boyds and would have gone that route and opened the channel up but also pillar and glass bedded it.. May be the extra work but I reckon worth it in the long run!

Seems you are bit like me though and just gotta get answers now!! Heck, if you dont like your stock then you can sell it, no rules against trying a few anyhow!

Have a peep at this thread
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?15926-How-much-can-a-Boyds-barrel-channel-be-opened-up

wilkup
09-17-2013, 07:46 PM
Alright I got the barrel, scope, stock, etc.

After wrestling with the barrel to get it on, it's finally sitting right where it's supposed to be =) A little bit heavier than expected, but it looks great!

The scope arrived and I was pleasantly surprised by the quality. I'm still not positive on whether or not I'll keep it though, because it is a bit chunky and much heavier than I would have guessed.

The stock...
I am returning it to Midway. It just didn't work for me. It wasn't what I was expecting at all regarding bedding, stiffness, quality.

So, I'm now looking for another stock because one it came with doesn't really fit the new barrel I've got mounted up. I'm going to look back into the Boyds Prairie Hunter and see what I can do with that. Any advice on that would be greatly appreciated. My gun is the new model with the bolt release down on the trigger guard.

emtrescue6
09-17-2013, 08:50 PM
Go with a Boyds...it's the easiest option out there in your price range...a little elbow grease and some sandpaper (and some patience) and it's good...hard to beat a Boyds for the price. I just spent $400 on a custom stock that was only 90%...which is what I wanted...but it still took almost 12 weeks for delivery. That barrel will wear you out packing it around in the woods though...I tried carrying a heavy barrel rifle in the woods on a hunt once...once.

SlimySquirrel
09-18-2013, 01:22 AM
The trigger guard release just requires a bit of widening around that area on the stock from what I have read. As long as the barrel is floated and the action is bedded then you'll be fine. It may look a little thin in the front but it will still work!

wilkup
09-18-2013, 07:55 PM
Well, I want to go shooting and am sick of waiting for everything to arrive. Plan on heading out to the range tomorrow at some point! FINALLY!

I'm thinking of opening up the forend on my stock to accept the thicker barrel. I'm going to fill the hollow space in the stock with epoxy to add some rigidity and give it a more solid feel. Also plan on glassing the action and barrel for now and using this cheapo stock as my trial run so I know what I'm doing when it comes to the Boyds.

Any thoughts...?

SlimySquirrel
09-19-2013, 04:51 AM
Practise makes perfect mate. Might as well... You want to know how not to do it when your Boyds arrives. Open up the Boyds as you said and it should be fine.

wilkup
09-24-2013, 08:36 PM
**UPDATE**
I opened up the forend on my stock and the barrel is now fully-floated again. Took some careful work to do, but I got a few different grits of sandpaper. I started with 60 grit wrapped around a dowel the same size as my barrel (0.95'') and worked it down to where I could set the barrel in and have it lightly touching the stock. At this point I switched to 120 grit and made it a little wider to get it to that perfect with. Once I finished with this and had it where I was happy with the distances between stock and barrel, I took some 600 grit paper and smoothed it all out. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out!

I'm still trying to decide on what to fill the hollow portion of the stock with to help stiffen it up. Any ideas?

I've purchased some Devcon Plastic Steel Putty to glass the action with. I'd really appreciate any advice on doing this with an action that takes the detachable box magazines. Thanks.

I also have a kit of aluminum pillars coming that I'm going to attempt to mount on this Savage stock for practice, so I know how to do it when the time comes to do all these neat little tricks on the Boyds stock.

I decided to return the Weaver scope. Unfortunately I couldn't seem to get used to the limited eye relief it had and how difficult it was to acquire a quick site picture. I decided it was worth spending a little more than I had budgeted for and purchasing a higher quality hunting optic, justifying the purchase to myself saying: "I'll keep it forever." After significant time spent watching/reading reviews, I caved and bought a new Nikon Prostaff 5 3.5-14x40mm from SWFA on the sale they've got going right now. Should be arriving later this week. I also returned the Weaver scope rings I had purchased for the Kaspa because they're 30mm and the Nikon takes a 1''. I ordered some Burris 1'' Weaver-Style Zee Rings Matte Low. Looking forward to each of these pieces arriving by the end of the week!!!

This build is so much fun! I dropped the gun off this afternoon to be Cerakoted H-219Q Gun Metal Grey and I should be pciking it back up next Friday.

I'm going to hold off on the Boyds stock for now and see how my factory Frankenstock turns out ;)

Sorry for such a long post.