PDA

View Full Version : Savage 111 Bolt (Action) Not Smooth

ycastane
08-21-2013, 01:41 PM
Didnt know how to properly label the thread so that was the best i came up with. Anyways the issue i see which might not be an issue at all but the action bringing the bolt handle up to unlock bolt and pull back is not really stiff but it has like 2 steps.I will take pictures later to better visualize what im trying to explain. I have to hold the rifle with my left hand pretty hard in order for me to re chamber another round because of that 2 step, seems to be like a locking mechanism. Before it reaches that step the handle moves very smooth and nice but once is there its a bit stiff and then you push through and pull the bold back and reload.

Clean and lubed with FireClean over the weekend and it didnt change a thing. Im guessing its design this way but im hoping there is a way to fix this. My cousing bought a Tikka a few years back and the action on that bolt is amzing, no stop midway or anything, just reload nice and easy and would love to be able to do the same specially when im at the range and sending quite a few rounds down.

CharlieNC
08-21-2013, 03:10 PM
You can find many threads on this topic. In summary the smoothness can be improved significantly by polishing the bolt surface areas that show wear; I like Dremmel wheel and Flitz compound. Be sure to do the cocking ramp too. There is debate whether this reduces bolt lift force and I believe the reduced rotational friction certainly does to some extent (laws of physics). Lift is reduced with longest bolt knob and/or time and true. I also find Frog Lube provides improved smoothness and lift.

bootsmcguire
08-21-2013, 05:56 PM
Remember that Savage is a "cock on open" design bolt.

I grabbed one of my rifles and walked through your description of your issue using my rifle. If the rifle is already cocked and I open the bolt I can feel exactly what you describe. A smooth upward travel of the bolt handle which stops 2/3's up and you must push through a hard spot to finish the upward stroke, then the bolt can be moved rearward to finish being cycled. This is perfectly normal for a factory Savage.

With an empty gun, try cycling the bolt a few times and you feel that "step" you refer to. Now try the same thing, but dry-fire the gun each time the bolt is closed. Upon lifting the bolt handle upward you noticed the "step" is gone and you have a constant even amount of force required to move the bolt handle upwards. This is because when the firing pin is in the fired position and you lift the bolt handle you are actually resetting the pin assembly back to its cocked position. When the gun has not been fired and the pin is still held back by the sear assembly, the "step" you are feeling is the button (that engages the sear unit and holds the firing pin assembly until the sear releases it to fire) breaking contact with the sear and sliding into its retention spot in the bolt body. Perfectly normal.

One way to help eliminate this and reduce the feel of this is to get a longer "tactical style" bolt handle. This reduces the amount of felt force required to operate the bolt. As Charlie says above there are other tricks to try such as polishing engagement areas, installing a bolt lift kit, and of course a Time and True job to the action. I would get a longer bolt handle put on and see if that helps enough for your tastes.

ycastane
08-21-2013, 06:06 PM
What is that "time and true" i keep seeing. I'll try dry firing now and see if it goes away as per your description. The bolt handles who sells them and are they all the same when it comes to quality or what!? Lifting kit for the bolt? Lot of things you mentioned i never heard of. This is a hunting rifle that i want to make better for hunting as well as bench shooting! Never looked to much into it except a replacement trigger once!

bootsmcguire
08-21-2013, 06:43 PM
There are several places to get replacement bolt handles. Here are a few websites to check out:

www.sharpshootersupply.com

www.tacticalworks.com

http://www.stockadegunstocks.com/4.html

www.projectsavage.com

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/193602/savage-arms-1-piece-bolt-handle-assembly-savage-10-110-right-hand-large-knob-steel-matte

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/674002/savage-arms-bolt-handle-assembly-savage-110ba-right-hand-tactical-knob-steel-matte

The two I listed from Midway are factory offerings from Savage, and are decent, but the BT is not much longer than the standard knob but easy easier to grasp than the standard.

Here is a link to the article here which explains in detail the Time and True process and benefits. You may have to be a paid member here to read it, but if you are serious about upgrading your Savage it will be the best $15/yr you'll ever spend.
http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?161-Fred-Moreo-Timging-Truing-Explained

As for the bolt lift kits, there is one listed on the Stockade website right under the bolt handles and there are also several threads here that explain it in detail. Do a search and I am sure you find one or all of them.

Hope some of that helps.

ycastane
08-21-2013, 08:24 PM
Yeap it helped, looking at all of this from the phine but tomorrow will get on it on the laptop!! Thanks a bunch!!