PDA

View Full Version : DBM and HFP Interchangability?

Cycler
02-11-2010, 11:05 PM
I have an M16 with a hinged floor plate now being rebarreled, T&T and restocked by Sharp Shooters Supply. I'd like to keep the HFP configuration but I understand it can be converted to a DBM with new bottom metal and a magazine bottom plate and that these parts fit the stock exactly the same way as the HFP. Is that correct?

So, it is feasible to have both magazine types in one rifle? That is could I buy the DBM parts and switch the rifle from HFP to DBM and back at will? Any idea of the cost of the extra parts?

wintermute76
02-11-2010, 11:13 PM
I came across Savage factory DBM and one mag for $125. The name escapes me at the moment, Hitech something.

Can't help you on the conversion tho.

Cycler
02-12-2010, 07:40 AM
ask the guy working on the gun who also sells parts. ::)

Well, sure, I could always do that but why do something so simple? :P

Actually, it was in the evening when I posted this and SSS was closed so I thought someone here might know sooner.

82boy
02-12-2010, 12:30 PM
I have an M16 with a hinged floor plate now being rebarreled, T&T and restocked by Sharp Shooters Supply. I'd like to keep the HFP configuration but I understand it can be converted to a DBM with new bottom metal and a magazine bottom plate and that these parts fit the stock exactly the same way as the HFP. Is that correct?

So, it is feasible to have both magazine types in one rifle? That is could I buy the DBM parts and switch the rifle from HFP to DBM and back at will? Any idea of the cost of the extra parts?

Yes, and yes

jpdown
02-12-2010, 03:15 PM
As stated above, yes to both. You will need a Savage CF drop box magazine and the magazine frame. I beleive the parts were around $90.00 when I called Savage.

sharpshooter
02-12-2010, 03:39 PM
If you have the hfp, all you need is the DBM magazine frame, and a bottom cap.
You can re-use the mag box and follower from the hfp assembly and just add the cap to make it a detachable box magazine.

Cycler
02-12-2010, 11:37 PM
If you have the hfp, all you need is the DBM magazine frame, and a bottom cap.
You can re-use the mag box and follower from the hfp assembly and just add the cap to make it a detachable box magazine.

Actually, YOU have them now. How much do the needed parts cost?