PDA

View Full Version : Barrel install

Pages : 1 [2] 3

earl39
08-23-2013, 09:18 AM
If i am reading this correctly you just took a barrel off this action. Where is the nut that was on that barrel? Try threading that nut on the new barrel. If it won't go odds are something is wrong with the barrel.

bigred94
08-23-2013, 12:46 PM
It was a new smooth nut. I sold it with the barrel so I can replace it with old style

short round
08-23-2013, 01:19 PM
If you are using action wrench, remove it & try screwing action & barrel together they should go together without use of tools. Check barrel threads for burrs or bent threads. Threads can be cleaned up with small triangle file. screw action & barrel together till they stop, mark were threads stop, remove barrel, clean with file, repeat till they go together. It has been advised to clean thread of receiver, be sure they are clean.

Nandy
08-23-2013, 02:54 PM
Whatever you do be careful. You don't want to mess the threads. I would wait for the barrel nut but I put my money that the problem is in the receiver. I would be surprise a McGowen barrel was threaded improperly. You might have to visit a smith if only to have him look at it. Messing up the receiver or barrel threads will cost you more. Good luck, wish you were closer so I could help better.

barthowes
08-23-2013, 05:53 PM
I did a 116 with a new er shaw barrel. couldn't screw it in. was too tight. I had read here and finally noticed myself that the threads were "sharp" or basically too tall. all i had to do was lightly sand the barrel threads by hand until it freely screwed into the action.

bigred94
08-23-2013, 07:34 PM
Got it guys!

Sanded it some and finally screwed in far enough to touch the brass. I'am going to attempt to set headspace by using a fl brass. Any pointers?

LoneWolf
08-23-2013, 07:46 PM
Glad to hear it worked out! Was getting worried about this one.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

Nandy
08-23-2013, 11:46 PM
Im glad too. I now remember reading that thread. Good stuff.

stangfish
08-24-2013, 12:03 AM
Got it guys! Sanded it some.....

Great idea!:cool:

Use it like a go gauge. mark the barrel and the action in a straight line. Back of a few degrees and snug it up. Check the line and ad some shim(cellophane tape) to the base of the case and it should act like a no go.

bigred94
08-24-2013, 04:05 PM
Well I thought I had it but when I put recoil lug and barrel nut on it will not let me check headspace. Guess barrel is not in far enough.

bigred94
08-24-2013, 04:32 PM
Here's what I know

I have it now where the barrel will screw into action until it will not allow bolt to open
When you add the recoil lug and barrel nut it will not let the bolt grab a brass from chamber.

The barrel nut will screw all the way up the threads until it hits something and stop. Not sure if it is suppose to screw off muzzle end or not.

Had to sand some more on barrel to get nut to go all the way up.

Something is still not right

Any thoughts

sinman
08-24-2013, 05:54 PM
Either not enough threads, threads are too large, barrel damaged by something. Is it a Mcgowen barrel?

goinssr
08-24-2013, 09:37 PM
If you have the action clamped in an action wrench you may have it clamped too tight. Loosen it and see if the barrel will screw in.

bigred94
08-24-2013, 10:22 PM
Bought two barrel nuts, one screwed on all the way the other didn't, so now i'am ready to set headspace finally! When using a peice of fl brass, do you use one that is max case length(2.015) or one that is trimed to length (2.005)?

earl39
08-25-2013, 12:21 AM
If you are going to use brass then use fired brass re-sized in your die. Never use virgin brass as it tends to be on the small side and might even be below Sammi spec. Unless the neck is cut bad short you could use the untrimmed brass but the trimmed brass will remove any doubt that you may have as to not head-spacing correctly. After setting the head space measure your brass then add one piece of tape to the end until you have 2-4 thousandths added to the length. This is now your no-go. Insure the bolt will not close on this and you are ready to go.

bigred94
08-25-2013, 09:48 AM
Ok thanks for the great help and info!

Can someone explain what would happen if you use the 2.015 brass to set the headspace vs the one trimed to 2.005 as this is the recommended one to use?

This is my first time to do this so just trying to make since of it all

whit
08-25-2013, 10:07 AM
Headspacing is done off the shoulder of the brass. So the length of the neck shouldn't matter unless it is really long. Headspace gauges for bottleneck cartridges do not even have the neck portion. If you use fired but non resized brass you could end up with the headspace being too long and SAAMI spec. cartridges might be too short to fire or the case head could break off.

Nor Cal Mikie
08-25-2013, 10:37 AM
If the fired brass has been full length resized and the OAL is too long (because the case necks need trimming) you take the chance of the case mouth being crimped on the bullet at the end of the chamber. (Bad JU JU!!) Trim them back to minimum trim length. That's a good starting point so you'll know how far the case grows when resizing.

bigred94
08-25-2013, 10:43 AM
Thanks guys. Starting to make since now. I will take a fired brass fl resized with my rcbs dies then trimmed to 2.005(as to book specs) then set headspace.

whit
08-25-2013, 04:50 PM
Check your bolt cycling with a few sized cases after setting the headspace. I have had to back off the barrel because the bolt would close too hard.