PDA

View Full Version : Need 338 build advice for savage PTA

blueoval56
08-20-2013, 06:13 PM
Hey there,

I am finally in a spot to get serious about getting a 338 barrel for my Model 12 F/TR. I'm looking for advice from those who have been down this road before. My initial thought says just grab a 338 Edge barrel and go that route, but after a search on this subject, I found a thread from back in June where a member used a PT&G short action Lapua sized bolt head for a 300 Norma Mag build.
That intrigued me because I had read that it was pretty much a general consensus that the standard(non Lapua) savage action is not strong enough for that amount of bolt thrust...
Any of you guys have any new opinions on the Lapua bolt face cartridges on a Savage PTA?

If I did go the edge route have you guys just bought pre-fits or have you had a blank chambered by your smith for the barrel nut system?

I'm up in Canada and there is a source here for Shilen pre-fits. But there is also a smith very close to me that has developed an "ackley improved" version of the 338 edge with a 40 degree shoulder. It doesn't give much more performance but(according to him) it drastically improved brass life. I would prefer to go that route if I have to stick with the standard magnum bolt face.

I would be planning on a 28 to 30 inch barrel threaded for a TRG break(I already have a spare) with a PT&G bolt head(regardless of size) and a new PT&G fluted bolt body just because I want one.

If it is believed that it is okay to go with the Lapua bolt face, I would opt for said smith's version of a 338 Lapua AI with almost zero body taper and 40 degree shoulder. That cartridge DOES have a decent performance increase as well as incredible brass life. He is on his 43rd reload with Lapua brass.

I hate to write such a novel, so I apologize for that.
But, if you were in my shoes, would would you do?

blueoval56
08-20-2013, 06:18 PM
Also curious if you guys have been using special 338 Edge head spacing gauges or if you simply use 300 Rum go/no-go gauges?

geargrinder
08-20-2013, 11:29 PM
I used fired and sized 300RUM brass to set headspace.

A 7mm, 300, or 375RUM set of gauges would be the correct ones for an Edge.

The Edge is simply what the 338RUM should have been.

stangfish
08-20-2013, 11:39 PM
Do you have to pull the bolt out and slide it in from the rear(look-out now) or can you shove it in through the ejection port?

Dennis
08-21-2013, 12:18 AM
FWIW, I bought a 7mm mag BVSS donor gun and unscrewed the barrel. I bought a 338 Edge pre-fit and screwed it on the action. I set the headspace with a fired piece of donated brass. I have been shooting the rifle ever since. It's one of my best most accurate rifles. I neck up 300 RUM brass.

The 7mm mag bolthead is a .532 . . . The 338 Lapua shows to be a .588
IMO they don't interchange.
300 RUM brass actually shows .534 in the book, but myself and many others have not had an issue. I do fell if we used the Lapua 338 bolthead, we would have a problem.

Maybe someone with more experience will chime in and clarify this for us.

Dennis

Also curious if you guys have been using special 338 Edge head spacing gauges or if you simply use 300 Rum go/no-go gauges? I understand PT&G has the 338 Edge gauges.

Also interested, Dennis

PSS: I contacted Shawn Carlock and hope to talk to him tomorrow.

blueoval56
08-21-2013, 08:52 AM
Ok, good to know that the 300 Rum gauges will work. I saw no reason why they shouldn't, just wanted to double check.

Stangfish, if that question was directed at me, the loading/ ejection port on the precision target action is big enough to load live rounds and eject empties but I would have to pull the bolt to eject a live round.

Dennis, I'll be interested to hear what Mr. Carlock has to say.

stangfish
08-21-2013, 09:09 AM
OK, I thoughtit would be close.

Dennis
08-22-2013, 05:18 PM
Ok, good to know that the 300 Rum gauges will work. I saw no reason why they shouldn't, just wanted to double check.

Stangfish, if that question was directed at me, the loading/ ejection port on the precision target action is big enough to load live rounds and eject empties but I would have to pull the bolt to eject a live round.

Dennis, I'll be interested to hear what Mr. Carlock has to say.

Shawn contacted me yesterday. 300 Rum will work. 338 Edge gauges are out there as well.

Dennis

sinman
08-22-2013, 06:11 PM
I have used the 300 rum gauge countless times for 338 Edge/ 338-300 rum, you will be perfectly fine. Also they raised the dollar amount that you can import to Canada from $100 to $400 so you can get just about anything you want from the States now.

blueoval56
08-22-2013, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the confirmation guys, I appreciate it!
I had heard of the increase for us Canucks but had not yet heard what the amount was, thanks Sinman.

I think there will still be an issue on most firearm parts due to the export laws, but I guess I could finally look into the paper work.

Anyone have any suggestion for barrel contour for a rig like this? It will probably simply be a stationary steel basher, so should I go with the same profile as the 1 inch bull that the F/TR came with at 30in?

geargrinder
08-22-2013, 08:08 PM
I'd go at least varmint, bull would be good too.

Dennis
08-23-2013, 01:35 AM
If it is believed that it is okay to go with the Lapua bolt face,

The 7mm mag bolthead is a .532 . . . The 338 Lapua shows to be a .588
IMO they don't interchange.

Referring to your original post, please check into the differences my book shows in the bolt face measurements. Maybe someone will chime in that will confirm or explain the differences I have in my book. A 300 RUM is .534 so there shouldn't be an issue here, and I have never had one using 300 RUM brass.

The 7 Mag is a small shank action/barrel.

I put a small shank 338 Edge, 10 twist, 28" Varmint barrel (.800 at the muzzle) on my 7 Mag BVSS donor rifle. Other than being a little on the heavy side, I love this rifle. I use necked up 300 RUM brass.

If I were planning on shooting mostly 300 grain bullets, especially a steel basher, I would recommend a Bull Barrel.

Dennis

blueoval56
08-23-2013, 07:54 AM
I'm aware of the differences in the Lapua vs the regular magnum bolt face diameter. If I go the 338 edge route, I will order a .532 PT&G bolt head and call it a day. What I'm looking for is wether or not the people here more knowledgable than myself think it is a good idea or a bad idea to put a .588 bolt face into my target action and run either a 338 Lapua or 338 Norma mag. I have read some people say that the bolt thrust is too much and that it is not a good idea, although they were referring to a standard 110 action. I have read other reports that it should be just fine. I have seen one build where a 338 Lapua was built on a Savage target action so I know it has been done, but I would not want to cross into unknown territory without doing a little research.

I think I will go with either a 1 inch bull or heavy varmint(0.9 @ the muzzle) depending on what I can find.

Dennis, are you using remington brass? How many firings are you getting?

Dennis
08-23-2013, 06:42 PM
Dennis, are you using remington brass? How many firings are you getting?

yes, I am using necked up Remington Brass. After 7 firings, I get a little scared and go ahead and start with fresh brass. 300 grain.

300 Bergers are hard on the brass, but lately I have been shooting lighter bullets. Looks like I might get over 12 firings or more with the lighter bullets.

Dennis

blueoval56
08-24-2013, 11:29 AM
yes, I am using necked up Remington Brass. After 7 firings, I get a little scared and go ahead and start with fresh brass. 300 grain.

300 Bergers are hard on the brass, but lately I have been shooting lighter bullets. Looks like I might get over 12 firings or more with the lighter bullets.

Dennis

That sounds promising. I had heard the remington 300RUM wasn't very tough. I might have a line on some Norma 300RUM brass.

derbs
08-24-2013, 07:27 PM
Blueoval, the June 300 Norma build you referenced was mine and continues to perform very well for my ELR usage. The large shank single shot PTA action with the PT&G Lapua bolt head and 30" Bartlein barrel shooting 230gr. Berger Target Hybrids is serious medicine at long range. This rifle outperforms my 338 Lapua Savage which shoots 300 gr Berger Hybrids @ 2750fps.

blueoval56
08-25-2013, 06:38 AM
Blueoval, the June 300 Norma build you referenced was mine and continues to perform very well for my ELR usage. The large shank single shot PTA action with the PT&G Lapua bolt head and 30" Bartlein barrel shooting 230gr. Berger Target Hybrids is serious medicine at long range. This rifle outperforms my 338 Lapua Savage which shoots 300 gr Berger Hybrids @ 2750fps.

Thanks for letting me know derbs!
I glad to hear that the project is doing well. What kind of velocities are you getting with the 230gr Bergers?
Did you put it together yourself or did you have a smith do it?

derbs
08-25-2013, 06:53 AM
Velocity of 3160fps with a max accuracy node of H1000 powder and WS2 coated bullets. I selected reamer and had throated for this bullet with shank-boattail juncture located in the middle of neck......COAL of 3.715". Shoots best in my barrel with 0.015" bullet jump.