PDA

View Full Version : Spraying bullets

Pages : 1 [2]

223 4 me
08-24-2013, 04:50 PM
My Stevens build has a Mcgowen 24" 1 in 9 pipe, During my range sessions after I run my 69 gr. match brass, being a budget shooter that doesnt reload I finish the day running American Eagle 55 gr. brass. I think it"s very similar in quality to the pmc stuff, at 100 yrds my average strings run around a inch and a half inch and a quarter.

kingzero
08-24-2013, 05:18 PM
I shoot 40 gn Noslers for predators out of a 1:9. You just cant push them too hard.

Why so much hate for PMC? I used to shoot it quite a bit when it was available. I could get 3/4 MOA and sometimes better out of my AR with a 1:9 twist.

Have you checked the usual suspects..........action screws, scope base and ring screws?

eddiesindian
08-24-2013, 05:55 PM
I am a prepper, but not a hoarder. I have reloading components I can load my own ammo with, so I don't need cheap ammo that isn't up to my accuracy standards. I would rather sell that to some guy playing with his ar that doesn't care about shooting small groups.

you,d be suprised what kind of "very small" groups you can get out of a AR in .224.....very suprised (Im here to tell you)...but thats a hole different story.
Im a bit confused here though.......if your interest in "accuracy" is prevelant, then why buy "plinking" ammo?....you are obviously aware that in order to get your accuracy up to snuff, then you know,that I know,that you know.........you gotta roll your own.

quarterbore
08-24-2013, 06:44 PM
I bought the ammo since it was available at the time and I wasn't going to pay the ungodly high prices that people wanted for surplus brass. I have since come across some once fired brass at a reasonable price, and reloaded some rounds this morning. My groups shrunk down to .5-.75" at 100 yards, I'm fairly happy since the barrel isn't broke in yet.

quarterbore
08-24-2013, 06:47 PM
you,d be suprised what kind of "very small" groups you can get out of a AR in .224.....very suprised (Im here to tell you)...but thats a hole different story.
Im a bit confused here though.......if your interest in "accuracy" is prevelant, then why buy "plinking" ammo?....you are obviously aware that in order to get your accuracy up to snuff, then you know,that I know,that you know.........you gotta roll your own.

I'm not knocking AR's. I know they can be extremely accurate. The guys at my range that are shooting them are just messing around with them at 50 yards and don't seem to care about grouping. I realize that there are more than 1 type of shooter that owns AR's, same as rifle shooters. I strive for accuracy, so ammo that won't shoot to my standards isn't acceptable to me.

Balljoint
08-24-2013, 09:46 PM
Have an DPMS upper in a 1/8 24 inch barrel shooting 55 gr.HPBT pills very well

jonbearman
08-24-2013, 11:54 PM
Check powder valley for a better selection of bullets.They have quite a few different manufacturers bullets in stock and ready to ship.

eddiesindian
08-25-2013, 12:00 AM
Have an DPMS upper in a 1/8 24 inch barrel shooting 55 gr.HPBT pills very well

roger that.

eddiesindian
08-25-2013, 12:16 AM
I'm not knocking AR's. I know they can be extremely accurate. The guys at my range that are shooting them are just messing around with them at 50 yards and don't seem to care about grouping. I realize that there are more than 1 type of shooter that owns AR's, same as rifle shooters. I strive for accuracy, so ammo that won't shoot to my standards isn't acceptable to me.

roger that:
I too strive for accuracy as I believe most reloaders do. Its a challenging affair to say the least. especially when you own 5 different configurations of AR gas guns. But when homework is done?.its a feeling of great satisfaction when I was able to punch 1 ragged hole @ 100 with 7 rds with one of my 24 target Shaw barrel,d gas guns.
but anyway.....thats another story.
Im curious as to what speed those PMC 55,s are running at thru your barrel. IMO, its a good refrence to know as to what speeds to avoid on that particular barrel.
Hope you find your load...............Good Luck....keep us posted

Ring
08-27-2013, 04:49 AM
this has nothing to do with bullet weight, or FMJ's...

its either the PMC sucks, or you have a gun problem... u need to shoot more loads to figure that out.. grab some hornady vmax or BH match..

this is 55gr barns TSX in my LRPV
5 shots..

http://i.minus.com/jKri37AMKyrQD.jpg (http://minus.com/lKri37AMKyrQD)