PDA

View Full Version : Not really "nw", but OMG, I love my new Axis .223 AI!!!

n4ue
08-19-2013, 04:32 PM
Hi, yeah, the "OMG" is a dig. Never used it before.

Anyway, today, I went to the range with my new Axis .223 AI. I 'built' this rifle Sunday, after purchasing a new, regular Axis at my LGS. Without ever firing it, I pulled off the bbl and put on a spare I had reamed to AI. Although this was not my first rechambering job. it was my first AI. Brand new PTG reamer, gages, etc.
I had some new, primered FC brass. After some prep, I loaded up some excess 55 gr Rem FMJs to fire form the brass. It was a standard load of 748. I was also sighting in the rifle with a Viper 6.5-20X50 scope. To my great surprise, NO problems and after getting the scope on target, it shot several fantastic groups, and formed the brass perfectly!
I want to thank all the folks on here, who suggested the correct go / no-go gages and the info on facing the bbl, etc.
BTW, after you mess up the bbl trying to get it off (with a bbl vice tool), clean it good and spray it with Krylon Satin Black. Looks better than new!!!
One last thing (and I'm beating a dead equine here), I used hbn coated bullets and coated the bbl before shooting it. It's hard to believe how clean the bbl was after the first session. I use the Kroil cleaning method and this is the 6th bbl, I have 'broken-in' with hbn, and would never use anything else. YMMV!

ron