PDA

View Full Version : Do Stevens 200 come pillar bedded?

Gmountain
08-18-2013, 06:08 PM
When I got mine, they were advertised as being pillar bedded. I know that there is definite hard contact between the receiver and the aluminum pillars.

Now, I've read in a couple of places that it isn't really bedded, those are just spacers. I don't see how that can be true.

So is there a definitive answer?

FW Conch
08-18-2013, 06:22 PM
The last two Stevens 200's I bought have pillars, and they are steel. So the action sits on pillars but it is not bedded.

Gmountain
08-18-2013, 06:30 PM
The last two Stevens 200's I bought have pillars, and they are steel. So the action sits on pillars but it is not bedded.
What does that mean? Isn't that what pilllar bedding is?

FW Conch
08-18-2013, 06:47 PM
Pillars is pillars. Bedding is Epoxy that that the action is set on to make a better fit between the action and the pillars. Bedding a Stevens action could be helpful, but with all the flex there is in that plastic stock, it is likely minimal. In my opinion, the best and cheapest thing that can be done to a Stevens 200 is pillar bed it into a Boyds (etc.) stock.

Mach2
08-18-2013, 07:13 PM
Pillars are a type of bedding. Yes those cheesy Tupperware stocks are pillar bedded, That is the little bit of magic they have in them. they are not just flimsy plastic stocks.

FW Conch
08-18-2013, 08:05 PM
The magic that they have, for me is, they are light. I have one that I have not modified for when I want a 7 1/2 #, scoped walking rifle. You can't get much lighter than that without going into a lot of money. Many of us have improved the Stevens 200 stock considerably, but at the price of adding weight. I feel if I' m going to end up with a plastic stock that is as heavy as a Boyd's or a Stocky's thumb hole laminate, I may as well go that route in the first place, because those stocks fit me perfectly. JMHO... Good luck - Jim