PDA

View Full Version : Devcon 10110, liquid or putty?

doninva
02-11-2010, 02:04 PM
Have only used Accuglass for 30 years. Really never had any issues but now everyone seems to think Devcon 10110 is the only way to go. I am thinking about trying the Devcon on a laminated thumbhole stock next week. It is listed as a single container in a liquid and a putty. I am assuming this is not a two part epoxy like Accuglass and you just use Kiwi shoe polish as a release agent and the Devcon is ready out of the container. Do I need the putty or the liquid. Also it is a little pricey so does the container have enough for more than one gun. Thanks

scratcherky
02-11-2010, 02:13 PM
Don- The DEVCON 10110 is more of a putty- 2 parts come in the same box. There is enough for about 5-6 rifles. Be sure to check the shelf life date when you buy. You do not want the stuff you get at Lowes or Home Depot. Expensive but worth it. As I recall it is about a lb.

Elkbane
02-11-2010, 04:08 PM
It is a 2 part putty. You mix it 9 parts base material (the grey stuff) to 1 part hardener (the white stuff) by WEIGHT. ABout 300 grains of the base material is the approximate right amount to bed a stock (you'll have a little left over).
Elkbane

dolomite_supafly
02-11-2010, 04:10 PM
Devcon steel putty in the one pound container is what you want. It is a two part epoxy, one part is a very thick gray material about as thick as Playdoh. The other part is cream colored that reminds me of the consistency of mayonaise and smells like vomit, literally. When you mix the two it is thin enough to go anywhere but thick enough to stay where you put it.

I generally bed the rifle late in the evening then pop the two apart first thing in the morning. It takes about 12 hours for a good cure. I use Kiwi shoe polish as a release agent and it works better than anything I have tried.

Dolomite

scratcherky
02-11-2010, 04:57 PM
I find it much easier to mix it 2.5 parts to 1 part by VOLUME.

Hoot
02-11-2010, 07:51 PM
I find it much easier to mix it 2.5 parts to 1 part by VOLUME.

???

That's a far cry different than 9:1! I assume that is to accelerate the cure time?

I have been meaning to get some and my question for those of you with experience is if it starts out thick like playdoh, does that affect how well it penetrates into the surface of what you're applying it to?

Hoot

range rat
02-11-2010, 08:01 PM
Did you ever try the Acraglas Gel. Good stuff. The Gel type is very easy to work with.

acasto
02-11-2010, 08:17 PM
I think it's 9 to 1 by weight. 2.5 to 1 by volume.

It thins out some when you mix it. but not to a runny concistency. Kind of like cool refried beens. It cant really seep onto pores of the wood, but it will flow as you put a little pressure to set the action. So, don't let it get where you really don't want it. Wrap electrical tape around the barrel to hold it centered in the channel. Not my original idea, but a dang good one.

When it's cured, I use my drill press to route out the inlet.

Hylander
02-11-2010, 10:22 PM
Did you ever try the Acraglas Gel. Good stuff. The Gel type is very easy to work with.

+1
But the Standard Acra Glass is just Garbage.
I would like to give the Devcon a try

possum1
02-11-2010, 10:47 PM
Where yaw gettin this Devcon ? Only place I can find it is Midway, $36 for a pound. What's the shelf life ? It will take me a good while to purchase 1/2 dozen rifle's. I'm a poor boy :(

dolomite_supafly
02-11-2010, 11:21 PM
Where yaw gettin this Devcon ? Only place I can find it is Midway, $36 for a pound. What's the shelf life ? It will take me a good while to purchase 1/2 dozen rifle's. I'm a poor boy :(

Mine sat on the shelf for at least 3 years before I ran out and it was still good.

Dolomite

doninva
02-12-2010, 09:35 AM
Still a little confused, dumb ole country boy here. If you go to midway they have the Devcon in 1 lb. putty for 35.99 and 1lb. liquid for 35.99. So I'm going to pay 71.98 for the two parts or are we talking about different types for 35.99. Don

trappst
02-12-2010, 09:42 AM
doninva,

the devcon putty is just that.....consistency of peanut butter or so. The one box of putty for $36 has both the resin and hardener in it. No need to purchase both the putty and the liquid.

I do have both at home though. The liquid is great for filling the holes (common in synthetic stocks) in the front action screw area where the pillar is. I like to fill the holes with the liquid and then bed the action into the stock with the putty. By filling the holes, I get more contact area when it's bedded.

Hope that clears things up for ya.

Oh, use regular masking tape and neutral kiwi shoe polish for a release agent.

doninva
02-15-2010, 10:09 AM
Thanks, I may have to order some. Don