PDA

View Full Version : Leupold CDS system question

snowgetter1
08-17-2013, 02:33 PM
Checking with those of you who have used the CDS about how it is done. Do you send leupold the turrets and load information? And, is there an additional cost to have them do it? Or should I just get the long range reticle and not worry about the CDS?

lostart
08-17-2013, 02:52 PM
I believe they will cut you one for free then you pay for the rest

Sent from my Lumina 928 using Tapatalk

jpdown
08-17-2013, 03:56 PM
If you purchase a new Leupold CDS scope it come with a standard 1/4 in click cap. You then give them a call with your serial number and load information (MV, Zero yrds, Bullet caliber-weight-BC, Altitude, Temperature) and they send you the first calibrated CDS dial cap with zero stop FREE. Additional calibrated caps cost around $59.00 each.

You can also change out the turrets in older model Leupold scopes and replace with a CDS dial turret ($90.00). But then you have to also purchase a calibrated CDS dial (+$59.00).

The CDS system is basically counting clicks made easy. For longer range, small targets like P-dogs, the calibrated turret caps significantly increased my LR (300 yrd +) first shot hits vs. using a hold-over Varmint Hunter reticle. You need a good rangefinder, dial in the yardage, hold for wind and shoot. Also, to use hold-over you need to have a SFP variable power scope set on a specific power setting. The power setting does not come into play when using clicks to dial in the elevation or windage.

Kenton Industries offers load calibrated custom turret caps for many brands of scopes. So you may want to check them out if you have another scope brand you prefer over a Leupold.

snowgetter1
08-17-2013, 07:09 PM
Jpdown thanks for the info. The main use would be for p-dogs. I used Nikon bdc scopes but ended up dialing in for the long shots as you stated. Thanks again.