PDA

View Full Version : Savage 24: Savage Model 24 .22lr/.410 ID and Disassembly/Reassembly!

PantherD
08-17-2013, 01:29 PM
Hey Guys. I need some assistance on a Savage Model 24 that my father had that has come into mine and my brother's (legally) possesion. It is a Savage Model 24 but unsure of which variant. Tried to ID using savage24.com but could not figure out which one it is. It has a case hardened receiver, no serial numbers and various letter markings on it (pics to follow). It also uses the hammer selector as opposed to the side barrel selector on other models. It is .22LR on the top and .410 on the bottom. So the first issue is identification, if anyone can ID from these pics it would be greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/a/RU2wx#ro4pgq7 [1] (imgur frigged up and made 16 images instead of just 4, please ignore that) http://imgur.com/V5lJLVa (http://i.imgur.com/V5lJLVa.jpg) [2] The Hammer

Heres the other issue, my brother just got his PAL and took the gun out today to fire it. Problem was it did not fire. We saw that the hammer would not reach the firing pin for the .22lr all the way and was not striking. Ok easy enough we thought, tried to research the issue and nothing came up so we figured we just google some schematics or instructions on disassembly. We only found schematics and for variants that were somewhat similiar but not exactly akin to the one we have so, the idiots we are felt that we could wing it and tried to disassemble it. We got as far as removing 2 bolts from the receiver and realized we were in over our heads and hoped we had not ****ed the rifle. I doubt we did as the bolts were ment to come out for disassembly I'm sure, but we are stuck as of now because we do not want to continue as it runs the risk of messing it up and we are unable to put the bolts back in (one goes in the other acts as a pivot for the hammer and will not).

If anyone can help us out that would be great, if not we are probably just going to locate a local smith who can help us out. Our dad has no idea of the guns assembly and disassembly, he bought it used back when he hunted and I do not think it saw much use.

Thanks a lot! PantherD1943

Pump
10-23-2013, 11:03 PM
try reposting with a black font.

J.Baker
10-24-2013, 09:31 PM
Fixed!

J.Baker
10-24-2013, 09:45 PM
Ok, here's what I can tell you.....

1. With the barrel being marked Chicoppe Falls, Mass that tells me it was made prior to 1960 (which is when Savage moved to the current Westfield, Mass factory).

2. If you're eyeballing the hammer hitting the firing pin for the 22LR barrel that's normal that you can't see it hit in slow-motion. Need to look at the round you tried to fire - is there any kind of indentation or mark from the firing pin on it? Very possible it's a broken firing pin.

3. Seeing the two screws you removed I can tell you that you're going to have to pull the butt stock and see what all pieces fall out in your hands when you do, and then you'll have to figure out where they go and how they go back together. And pray to god they have noting to do with the happer or you're going to have to fight the stiffest gun spring you've ever met in your life.

At this point I would HIGHLY SUGGEST you find a competent gunsmith to give it a going over (and no, your cousin's uncle's brother's nephew who has some tools and once saw a gun in a store window doesn't qualify as competent or a gunsmith).