PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question

jboy48111
08-17-2013, 08:03 AM
So I'm new to the whole bolt action thing and never owned a savage before. I need son help answering a question about a rifle I just bought. I bought what was supposed to be a savage. Model 10 with a 22" Bergara heavy barrel and a b&c stock. Well after trading I went home to do some more research, the barrel is def not a bergara( no stamp) but I figured that out at the trade point but thought ooh well, well the action also turns out to be a Savage model 11fxp4, now to the stock. Do bell and Carlson medalist stocks have any markings? It looks like one but since everything else was false I'm trying to identify the stock now so I know what I have. I will try to figure out how to post pics of it soon. I can't post them from my phone.

thomae
08-17-2013, 08:52 AM
Welcome. I think you will like this forum. Lots of helpful folks are here willing to help you out.

Please take a minute to familiarize yourself with the standing rules of the forum. Most of them are here:
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?24732-User-Agreement

I don't know the answer to your B&C stock question, but someone here does.

Many of the questions you may have (either now or in the future) may already have been answered, so please try searching for answers. If you don't find what you need, please don't hesitate to ask in the appropriate section of the forum.

In general, you usually aren't the first person to not know something or to have a specific issue. We've all been there at one time or another and are happy to help you learn from OUR mistakes instead of making your own.

By the way, we also look forward to learning a lot from YOUR experiences.

Again, welcome.

jboy48111
08-17-2013, 09:28 AM
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a5/jboy48111/photo-28.jpg (http://s8.photobucket.com/user/jboy48111/media/photo-28.jpg.html)

jboy48111
08-17-2013, 09:28 AM
There is a pic of the rifle. Any help would be appreciated

DanSavage
08-17-2013, 11:41 AM
It is the B&C Varmint Tactical stock,,, a good one. The action may be an 11, but it's physically the same thing as a 10. Also many aftermarket barrels will not be marked in a visible area, usually it's marked on the breach face of the barrel, remove bolt and look in with a flash light.

My BC stock just like yours doesn't have any name on it but the tell tale sign is the aluminum bedding block built in to it.

Great looking rifle by the way!

jboy48111
08-17-2013, 12:33 PM
Thanks DanSavage! I don't see any marks on the breach face of the barrel though either. Thanks for the help so far guys

stangfish
08-17-2013, 01:53 PM
I am not so sure that a Bergara is a good thing. I have heard some negatives with the only positives being from the muzzle loader clan and the employees/PR from Bergara, so if you have something else you may be better off.

bootsmcguire
08-17-2013, 09:31 PM
I am not so sure that a Bergara is a good thing. I have heard some negatives with the only positives being from the muzzle loader clan and the employees/PR from Bergara, so if you have something else you may be better off.

Big +1.

I had two Bergara barrels on a different brand of rifle setup as a switch barrel. The 30-06 barrel had a horrible crown on it and the 22-250 barrel had a chamber that was oversized and had deep tool gouges in the sides. Made extraction near impossible and destroyed the brass. The 06 was MOA but barely, and the 22-250 was 3/4 MOA but with it destroying brass it did me little good. I called the rifle maker and they said that since it was the barrel I had to deal with Bergara on the warranty and Bergara wouldn't even look at them. They just said "tough".

I wouldn't wish a Bergara on my enemies. JMO.

jboy48111
08-18-2013, 09:45 AM
Like I said I'm a newbie but it sounds like bergara has a bad rep here. Thanks

jbjh
08-18-2013, 12:46 PM
Shoot it. If it shoots, good deal, if not, new barrel (and I'm sure someone will buy the other one). Either way, I think you should ding the seller for giving you incorrect info, intentionally or not.

bootsmcguire
08-18-2013, 06:50 PM
By all means shoot it and see. You may have the good one they let out. It was several years ago that I had that rifle and hopefully they have stepped up their QC.

Both of those that I had had potential to be shooters even with their obvious issues, but with said issues I never bothered to work up a load for either as with the "tough" response and the fact that the issues made it through their QC in the first place it just made me loose all faith in them.

Shoot yours and tell us how it does. I hope the best.