PDA

View Full Version : Package Scopes

Mach2
08-16-2013, 02:46 PM
I checked on several package rifles at Dicks Sporting Goods yesterday and was surprised to find that there were 3 different scopes being used on them. All were the venerable 3-9x-40. One was a Bushnell. Two were Nikons. One Nikon was an unmarked model and the other Nikon was a BDC Prostaff which was marked as such But is it a real Prostaff? I don't think so. When I adjusted the magnification ring on the supposed Prostaff I found it very hard to turn. The black reticle bars lacked good fill like the bars on my genuine Prostaff that I paid $149 for in 05. I had difficulty getting a good sight picture when I aimed the scope at the ceiling.

Ten yrs ago I bought a 110 GXP3 with a pillared walnut stock in 30-06 with a Simmons package scope on it that I removed and stuck on a 10/22. It is a pretty good scope except the reticle bars are a bit too large. It does though give a nice, easy to focus sight picture and is fine for squirrel hunting.

But my question to Savage and Nikon is why put a counterfeit Prostaff on package rifles?

outback andy
08-16-2013, 06:24 PM
Now that savage has new owners, you won't be seeing Nikons on them any more I bet ...

Nandy
08-16-2013, 06:26 PM
But my question to Savage and Nikon ....

You will have to ask them...

davemuzz
08-16-2013, 09:19 PM
I can't stand package scope's.

But....that's JMHO

Dave

Nandy
08-16-2013, 09:50 PM
The Nikkon that I got on the xp hunter looks 100 times better than the bushnel I got in the 110 I got years ago. I was going to sell it eventually but I might keep it for my 10/22.

stangfish
08-17-2013, 12:37 AM
The Nikons I have used have been very clear. The package ones lasted less than one range trip.

243LPR
08-17-2013, 08:26 AM
Of all the cheap scopes I've used over the years I only ever had 1 fail. That was a Bushnell Banner just recently. I also shoot mostly short action stuff and never got into the magnum class of calibers. Sure,there are some junk scopes out there but even the cheap ones aren't bad these days. I guess it depends on expectations and intended use.

7.62nato
08-17-2013, 12:59 PM
I had the Edge (243WIN) with the Bushnell Sharpshooter and currently have the International XP (7-08) with Weaver scope. Both scopes have held up and hold zero. I've put a few rounds (100+) on both rifles and have taken them hunting. Both sitting on ATV gun racks all week long on several trips and still hold zero. What I did find was that the rings and bases were quite loose on the Edge when I bought it. I tightened them and no issues. When I bought the I XP, first was remove rings and bases and used Loctite and tightened it down(same issue, loose rings and bases from factory). No issues so far. Dropped the XP by accident. Still held zero. I will change out the scope when needed but for now I'll keep it until funds free up. Not the best scopes by any means but I've seen worst. YMMV

hunter540
08-17-2013, 04:24 PM
I bought a 243 package gun with a Nikon (not marked Pro Staff) 3 x 9 scope on it and had a reticle shoot loose. I called Nikon, sent it out for repair, and received a new one in the mail some three weeks later. The scope is backed up with the Nikon Warranty.

Mach2
08-17-2013, 04:34 PM
I bought a 243 package gun with a Nikon (not marked Pro Staff) 3 x 9 scope on it and had a reticle shoot loose. I called Nikon, sent it out for repair, and received a new one in the mail some three weeks later. The scope is backed up with the Nikon Warranty.

I think package scopes are good for a couple of boxes of ammo and after that they will fail. They are hunting scopes not target scopes.

stangfish
08-17-2013, 06:06 PM
How does that warranty work when your on a hunt? I like having a warranty but am never happy when I have to use it. I tried using Nikons warranty and after the third scope I decided the warranty is only as good as the product. Nikon has good.....great products, just not their value models.

rattfink
08-17-2013, 06:18 PM
How does that warranty work when your on a hunt? I like having a warranty but am never happy when I have to use it. I tried using Nikons warranty and after the third scope I decided the warranty is only as good as the product. Nikon has good.....great products, just not their value models.

Normally, brands that offer very good warranties make better products b/c it is more profitable to not have to repair it but that doesn't seem to be the case with your experience with Nikon.

I have shot their monarch but never owned one. It gave me a favorable impression.

243LPR
08-17-2013, 09:40 PM
I have yet to have a problem with a Pro Staff,one of the best scopes for the money IMHO.

emtrescue6
08-18-2013, 12:55 PM
I have had great experiences with a variety of Nikon products...from Bino'c (3 pair) to several scopes...Pro-Staff's and Monarch's...I recently picked up a used Savage Model 11 (Trophy Hunter I believe) in 7mm-08...it was an impulse buy. As a left handed shooter, I tend to buy pretty much everything lefty I come across and this one was well priced. I was used, but couldn't have been used much as it still had the savage sticker on it and they looked new and the barrel, while dirty (not sure it was ever even cleaned) cleaned up spotless in very short order. Anyway, the rifle had a "package" Nikon Pro-Staff 3-9x40BDC (I hate BDC scopes in general)...anyway, it was crisp and clear (as crisp and clear as my other pro-staff's) so maybe it will remain in the rifle for awhile....now I just need to get time to load up some brass and haul it to the range. For the money, I find the Pro-Staff's hard to beat.