PDA

View Full Version : Mtezz from Montana

mtezz
08-16-2013, 02:21 PM
My older 110 magnum has a safety (slide) on the receiver top which I don't like at all and I don't know why I've put up with it all these years. It is very stiff and I cannot slide it on or off with gloves on. Does any one know if there is a modification I can make or a different one all together? My gunsmith says no, live with it.

big honkin jeep
08-16-2013, 07:33 PM
Everything can be modified :)
I haven't done it but you probably just need to think creatively about it.
Sometimes tools are a limiting factor but there are plenty of tinkers here, maybe someone has a solution they've tried.

darkker
08-20-2013, 12:05 AM
It is probably full of gunk, or improperly adjusted if it is difficult to manipulate.
Take the stock off, and clean/lube that pig. Had several that were "tough" took the trigger assembly apart and cleaned the Cosmo and grit out, all was well.

handirifle
08-23-2013, 01:41 AM
If I remember correctly, there is an adjustment to how much pressure it takes to move the safety. You'd have to take a close look at the assembly out of the stock.

Willoughby
08-23-2013, 11:19 AM
the best safety ever IMHO
if your close enough to libby
I'd fix it for you
for free

mtezz
08-23-2013, 05:00 PM
the best safety ever IMHO
if your close enough to libby
I'd fix it for you
for free

Thanks, but I'm clear over in Billings.

Willoughby
08-23-2013, 05:39 PM
like stated above lube and clean -alternate between brake clean & WD40 -lube last
if this don't work
there is a Screw to adjust the smooth travel of the safety lever. The safety lever should have no up/down movement.
this adjustment is usually not necessary, it requires the trigger be removed from the action in order to access the top of the screw.
the rear screw on bottom of trigger is the main safety adjustment screw
Adjustment should be done with the safety “ON”.
Adjust the safety screw to slightly touch the safety bar but not interfere with it’s operation.
after any adjustment the rifle should be tested wile unloaded
aggressively cocking the bolt handle and also bumping the rifle butt on the floor
to attempt to make the rifle dry fire.
do this with the safety on and off. If the rifle does not pass this test,
re-check your safety adjustment and sear engagement settings.

if you want to call me some evening
I'll try to walk you through it
212 twoone 21

handirifle
09-22-2013, 12:17 AM
Once the safety on my Mossberg 500 broke (plastic) and when I got it replaced, the new one had a much more pronounced peak in the center. WAY easier to manipulate. You might be able to make one slightly improved for the Savage, but too high will interfere with the bolt.

Personally I prefer mine on the back as it came, but that's personal.

Forgot to add, my '06 was used when I got it, and the safety was gritty, and there was no discerning the middle position. As mentioned above, I cleaned, lubed and adjusted it, now works perfect.